Jump to content

New Drinks Menus and Prices


 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sammyh25 said:

I loved reading about everyone's thoughts on paper vs virtual menus and the merits of the various covid protocols, but I really only want to know if there is any point in us buying the Ultimate Drinks Package, well on this thread anyway. 😉

 

As you can buy the package on board on the second day still, my preference is to get on board, check out the menu and prices and judge on your own personal tastes if what you would normally drink is even included.  If you have a late check-in, and a bit of exploring the ship on the first day, the package is often not worth it for the first day.

 

Anything not included in the package, you only get a 20% discount off the price.

 

And has been mentioned, not just alcohol.  Some of the mocktails are refreshing during the day as well.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I am not sure that anyone can answer whether it is worth you getting the drinks package as that is a very personal decision and based on how much and what you drink!

You misunderstood me I think. I'm not asking anyone if it's a good idea whether we buy the package or not, that as you said is a personal decision, I'm trying to ascertain just what is now included in the Ultimate Drinks Package.

The P&O website is saying, "With our generous Ultimate drinks package you can enjoy anything you fancy. Nearly every drink we serve is included for a fixed price per person, per day, and you can pay with on-board spending money.

The implication is that almost all drinks are included in the package, if people are now saying cocktails aren't included and other drinks are above the £6.95 limit then there is an issue.  The website is misleading and maybe miss-selling the product. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, thornegirl said:

Think these are Apple files, but managed to find a website to convert them so I could see them on the PC, thank you.


Coming from Celebrity and Royal Caribbean the selection of drinks seems quite poor/restricted.  Does each bar onboard have different choices or is this quite typical?

Edited by sammyh25
Corrected info.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Can anyone remember what draught Larger was available please with P&O 

Previously: Stella, Peroni and I think Carling. Might have had Fosters as well.  This varies between the bars though, so not all are available in all bars.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LifeonMars said:

Can anyone remember what draught Larger was available please with P&O 

In the Crows nest it was John Smiths and Peroni on draught, but the Peroni pump was broken so my husband had the Thatchers Gold bottle.  We usually drank in the Glass House as we like the different wines in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sammyh25 said:

You misunderstood me I think. I'm not asking anyone if it's a good idea whether we buy the package or not, that as you said is a personal decision, I'm trying to ascertain just what is now included in the Ultimate Drinks Package.

The P&O website is saying, "With our generous Ultimate drinks package you can enjoy anything you fancy. Nearly every drink we serve is included for a fixed price per person, per day, and you can pay with on-board spending money.

The implication is that almost all drinks are included in the package, if people are now saying cocktails aren't included and other drinks are above the £6.95 limit then there is an issue.  The website is misleading and maybe miss-selling the product. 

Sorry... this should help 🙂 

https://www.pocruises.com/onboard-activities/bars-and-lounges/ultimate-drinks-package

 

Althought I was right... drinks over £6.95 are excluded... you do get a 20% discount.

 

Mis-selling? Possibly IMO.

Edited by Snaxmuppet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just spotted this beauty in the restrictions...

 

  • Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6am to 6am)

Really...!

 

Not so much the "Ultimate" drinks package then eh...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other thing to take into account regarding the drinks package is the number of sea days vs port days. If you are off the ship a big chunk of the day, it will be harder to justify £40 for drinks/beverages.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

Can anyone remember what draught Larger was available please with P&O 

Peroni in some bars, Fosters in others... 

Annoyingly, you get the taste for one, move venues and cannot get the same drink. 

There may have been others, but these were my choices. 

Andy 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Just spotted this beauty in the restrictions...

 

  • Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6am to 6am)

Really...!

 

Not so much the "Ultimate" drinks package then eh...

We found the 15 drinks limit wasn’t enforced at all. Our last cruise pre pandemic there was 6 of us and very often in the glasshouse the waiter swiped all 6 drinks through on a single card, I had 3 or 4 rounds swiped on my card within a couple hours in the glasshouse on more that 1 night, that’s over the limit straight away. The waiter told us there’s no way for them to see what you’ve had. They basically don’t care and just charged every order to 1 card to save time

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, sammyh25 said:

Think these are Apple files, but managed to find a website to convert them so I could see them on the PC, thank you.


Coming from Celebrity and Royal Caribbean the selection of drinks seems quite poor/restricted.  Does each bar onboard have different choices or is this quite typical?

I found this after doing those lines first. 
Cocktail choice and quality is poor in comparison, and I found the bartenders were not willing to go off piste and make any special requests. 
 

Wine selection is ok, but not as good as Celebrity. 
 

The prices are certainly better though! And the gin/tonic selection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are thinking of buying the wine package. The Captains is £120 for 6 bottles. They charge £20 corkage if you take your own wine into the MDR and in any case we would only be able to take 2 bottles onboard. Anyone got any advice/experience of this package. If we take a bottle of spirits can we take mixers? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We are thinking of buying the wine package. The Captains is £120 for 6 bottles. They charge £20 corkage if you take your own wine into the MDR and in any case we would only be able to take 2 bottles onboard. Anyone got any advice/experience of this package. If we take a bottle of spirits can we take mixers? 

We've certainly taken mixers on board in the past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We are thinking of buying the wine package. The Captains is £120 for 6 bottles. They charge £20 corkage if you take your own wine into the MDR and in any case we would only be able to take 2 bottles onboard. Anyone got any advice/experience of this package. If we take a bottle of spirits can we take mixers? 

No problem taking mixers on board.

Personally I've never thought the wine package was worth it. We tend to drink the cheaper wines, with an odd splurge on something a little more classy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 4:46 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

Previously: Stella, Peroni and I think Carling. Might have had Fosters as well.  This varies between the bars though, so not all are available in all bars.

I guess they won't sell much Corona at the moment.🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No problem taking mixers on board.

Personally I've never thought the wine package was worth it. We tend to drink the cheaper wines, with an odd splurge on something a little more classy.

So if we forget the wine package and buy as we go what would you consider to be a cheaper one? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sandancer said:

So if we forget the wine package and buy as we go what would you consider to be a cheaper one? 

First of all, I am not a wine expert,  but in the MDR the Olly Smith house red is perfectly acceptable.

I'm trying to phrase this nicely, but MDR meals are not really worthy of good wine.

I would splash out on a good bottle when you eat out in the Epicurean or similar.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

No problem taking mixers on board.

Personally I've never thought the wine package was worth it. We tend to drink the cheaper wines, with an odd splurge on something a little more classy.

I can never tell classy in P&Os wine lists, my Yorkshire thrift won't allow me to move away from the cheaper end of the list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, terrierjohn said:

I can never tell classy in P&Os wine lists, my Yorkshire thrift won't allow me to move away from the cheaper end of the list.

You and me both ! 

I do think that occasionally I should splash out on a £25  bottle of wine, (is that expensive ?) and having drunk it, I wonder if the extra £6 or so was worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It would be good to know how much a bottle of house wine would be so I can estimate whether or not the package is worth it. Supermarket wine at £10 is top of my wine budget so I would expect to pay double that on a cruise, if not more. I should also  mention that a “good wine” to me is something that I personally enjoy whether that’s a £5 bottle from Asda or the £10 one. 

Edited by sandancer
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, sandancer said:

It would be good to know how much a bottle of house wine would be so I can estimate whether or not the package is worth it. Supermarket wine at £10 is top of my wine budget so I would expect to pay double that on a cruise, if not more. I should also  mention that a “good wine” to me is something that I personally enjoy whether that’s a £5 bottle from Asda or the £10 one. 

We normally spend about £6 on a bottle of supermarket plonk (normally Australian), and I reckon the £18 P&O house red is comparable. If you spend £25, you will, of course,  get better wine, and as I said previously,  I would pay that for a special occasion.  

I enjoy the MDR meals, but don't think they warrant a £25 bottle of wine.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I enjoy the MDR meals, but don't think they warrant a £25 bottle of wine.  

I approach wine a little differently.

 

If I am buying wine at all with a meal it is generally because I feel wine would improve the overall experience. For example, I probably wouldn't have wine with a pizza. I am not saying you can't nor am I saying you shouldn't. IMHO you can have wine with anything you like or on its own. That is personal choice. But for me I feel that a cold beer goes better with a pizza so I wouldn't have even the cheapest of wines with a pizza. But if it is any kind of meal such as what I would likely have in MDR, then I feel that a wine generally goes well. So it isn't the quality of the food for me that determines whether I have wine but the type of food.

 

So, once I have decided to have wine and not beer I would then go for the best wine I am prepared to buy. If I have decided that wine is the best accompaniment for the food then for me a better wine will always work even better and so, much more important than whether I spend £20 or £40 on a bottle of wine is the type and varietal. For example, a cheap bottle of Rioja or a dry Riesling with a curry will always work for me much better than the best bottle of Syrah/Shiraz... but a better bottle of Rioja or Reisling would work even better!

 

The good thing about wine, or indeed any food drink choices, is that there really aren't any rules... have what works for you. I do hate food and drink snobs that say thing like "you just can't have white wine with red meat" or "you must have white wine with chicken or fish". It is your food... have whatever works for you and enjoy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I do hate food and drink snobs that say thing like "you just can't have white wine with red meat" or "you must have white wine with chicken or fish". It is your food... have whatever works for you and enjoy

Indeed - in fact I dispense with the food altogether,  and just drink the wine! Makes life much simpler! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am with you both there except I would never drink wine with a curry!  I think I’m going to leave DH to make the decision about the wine package. I am so happy to even be thinking about wine on a ship. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's go time.
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...