Jump to content

Air Conditioner Question On Oceania Ships


bob brown
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am aware that on many ships, there is a microswitch on balcony doors that will cause the cabins air-conditioner blower to shut down, whenever the balcony door is open.  I just don't know if the Oceania (R Class) ships are so equipped....does anyone know?   Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bob brown said:

I am aware that on many ships, there is a microswitch on balcony doors that will cause the cabins air-conditioner blower to shut down, whenever the balcony door is open.  I just don't know if the Oceania (R Class) ships are so equipped....does anyone know?   Thanks!

No - it’s not ok to sleep with the balcony door open. There’s a decal on the sliding door to remind you. And if you do, the giant Amazonian fly will set you straight.

(And please remember to turn the balcony light off at bedtime). Thanks!

D59CDA10-EFF7-41DB-A6A6-2EE76CC115C5.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No - it’s not ok to sleep with the balcony door open. There’s a decal on the sliding door to remind you. And if you do, the giant Amazonian fly will set you straight.

(And please remember to turn the balcony light off at bedtime). Thanks!

D59CDA10-EFF7-41DB-A6A6-2EE76CC115C5.jpeg

“Objection, Your Honor: non-responsive.”

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But I was responsive- see the decal: the door needs to be closed for the HVAC to work. 

My smartphone shows a lovely photo of a fly, not the decal! 😇

Edited by CintiPam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Right above the fly “...balcony door closed”

OK, my mother was born in the Bronx, not Brooklyn. Translator clearly required!


Midnight here so goodnight, peace and keep enjoyin’.

Edited by CintiPam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But I was responsive- see the decal: the door needs to be closed for the HVAC to work. 

 

No you didn’t answer the question, you just answered the question you assumed was being asked. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No - it’s not ok to sleep with the balcony door open. There’s a decal on the sliding door to remind you. And if you do, the giant Amazonian fly will set you straight.

(And please remember to turn the balcony light off at bedtime). Thanks!

 

As other's have pointed out, that is not what I asked, and I am aware of, and comply with procedures, thank you.

 

Now if anyone can answer what I did ask, I would appreciate it....

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure if the a/c goes off when the door is opened  but  in the night it does get quite warm in the cabin 

I am not sure if it is because  some have their doors open & cause the cabins nearby  a problem or if the ship cuts down on the A/C 

I have it set to COLD & still wake up  hot  about 3-4 am

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do the Oceania ships have a slot you need to put your cabin card or similar card in to get the AC and lights to work? That drove me crazy on NCL, I would have to put a business card or something similar into the slot when we're out. I'm also charging batteries for my cameras, and probably one of the few guest who charge them in a fireproof battery bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Do the Oceania ships have a slot you need to put your cabin card or similar card in to get the AC and lights to work?

not  yet 

Staff are instructed to unplug any gadgets if you are not in the cabin

We charge the camera  at night

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, bob brown said:Now if anyone can answer what I did ask, I would appreciate it....

See post #4 where I said the balcony door needs to be closed in order for the HVAC to work.

How exactly do you think the door communicates with the HVAC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

not  yet 

Staff are instructed to unplug any gadgets if you are not in the cabin

We charge the camera  at night

This is correct. The cabin steward will unplug chargers left unattended. It’s not just the batteries that are the fire hazard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

This is correct. The cabin steward will unplug chargers left unattended. It’s not just the batteries that are the fire hazard.

 

They will however leave Cpap machines alone and plugged in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure about the mechanisms, but yes the ac turns off if you open the balcony doors. If you want your ac to stay on don’t open the doors. I don’t know, but would imagine, that this only impacts your cabin?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

 

See post #4 where I said the balcony door needs to be closed in order for the HVAC to work.

How exactly do you think the door communicates with the HVAC?

 

17 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But I was responsive- see the decal: the door needs to be closed for the HVAC to work. 

Okay, but "the door needs to be closed for the HVAC to work", could also be interpreted as meaning for the HVAC to be effective...

So...just to be clear,  are you saying that the Oceania 'R' Class ships, HVAC shuts off in your cabin if the balcony door is open? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, khuselid said:

I am not sure about the mechanisms, but yes the ac turns off if you open the balcony doors. If you want your ac to stay on don’t open the doors. I don’t know, but would imagine, that this only impacts your cabin?

Yes...that is how most modern ships work, I just wasn't sure about the Oceania 'R' class ships having that feature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...