Just received an email concerning "The Shore Excursion APP"..........

Lois R

Good morning, I know this was discussed earlier but thought I would post a new thread. I got an email this morning about the "Shore Excursion App" for my upcoming sailing.  Here is what it says:

Dear ----------

With your voyage drawing closer, your travel preparations may be well underway.

Complementing our range of health and safety protocols on board and ashore, which have been designed with your wellbeing as our top priority, we will make use of the iTour Smart Guide application during shore excursions. This new technology will allow you to listen to our guides' insightful commentary through your mobile phone/tablet and your personal earphones, thus eliminating the exchange of equipment between guests and ensuring physical distancing is maintained. So please be sure to pack your smartphone/table, charging devices, and personal earphones.

We invite you to download the easy-to-use application on your smartphone or tablet. You do not need to create an account on the app, nor will cellular connection be needed once the application is installed. Once on board, our shore concierge team will provide you with a short briefing on the system. You will then be ready to travel deep into the destination.

Click below to download the application on the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android): www.itoursmart.guide

We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Best regards,
The Silversea Team

Just thought I would post this since there were questions.  So it looks like it won't cost anything to do it the phone.........thankfully.  Not sure what those folks who don't have a phone when they travel will do......since now we are allowed to go off on our own maybe that is what they will do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They have not used the app for the two bus tours I did (Patmos and Rhodes). They did for my walking tour in Syros, but we were a group of about 7 and the people without phones seemed to have no problem hearing the guide.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sea bright said:

They have not used the app for the two bus tours I did (Patmos and Rhodes). They did for my walking tour in Syros, but we were a group of about 7 and the people without phones seemed to have no problem hearing the guide.

Hi Sea, were you able to hear the guide ok on the bus tours?

On 6/25/2021 at 3:14 AM, Tudorcruisers said:

Is this for your October sailing?  I haven’t received that email as yet.  

Hi, nope, this is for my sailing next week😃....going on The Moon out of Athens.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:37 AM, mchell810 said:

Thanks for posting this; it's good to know it won't require a cellular connection.

I went on the iTour Smart Guide website and found the following information.  Sounds great.  I also like the part that I bolded below (not sure if the upgrade will be available.  Wonder if it's up to Silversea to purchase the "upgrade" or is it dependent on each individual local tour operator?)

Be it on a city walking tour, in a museum, on a bus, or on a ship, – the transmitter broadcasts both, live and pre-recorded audio, directly to your guests’ smartphones.
Once the tour participants have downloaded the receiver app there is no internet connection required.
Guide groups with up to 100 participants and have them enjoy stable and low latency transmission wherever you go.
Even more, you can upgrade the transmitter to function as a hotspot and offer your guests internet connection during the whole tour.

• Cost advantage over conventional audio guide system
• Reduced hardware usage, logistics and device maintenance
• OFFLINE USAGE
• Exceptionally low latency
• Up to 100 connections
• § Range of 120 meters in radius
• Receiver App for android and iOS
• Suitable for all common smartphone models
• 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi
• Error compensation
• Easy-to-use interface
• High audio quality
• Environmentally sustainable technology based on utilization of   guests’ own devices

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

I went on the iTour Smart Guide website and found the following information.  Sounds great.  I also like the part that I bolded below (not sure if the upgrade will be available.  Wonder if it's up to Silversea to purchase the "upgrade" or is it dependent on each individual local tour operator?)

Be it on a city walking tour, in a museum, on a bus, or on a ship, – the transmitter broadcasts both, live and pre-recorded audio, directly to your guests’ smartphones.
Once the tour participants have downloaded the receiver app there is no internet connection required.
Guide groups with up to 100 participants and have them enjoy stable and low latency transmission wherever you go.
Even more, you can upgrade the transmitter to function as a hotspot and offer your guests internet connection during the whole tour.

• Cost advantage over conventional audio guide system
• Reduced hardware usage, logistics and device maintenance
• OFFLINE USAGE
• Exceptionally low latency
• Up to 100 connections
• § Range of 120 meters in radius
• Receiver App for android and iOS
• Suitable for all common smartphone models
• 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi
• Error compensation
• Easy-to-use interface
• High audio quality
• Environmentally sustainable technology based on utilization of   guests’ own devices

Thanks for this information; it's good to have.  The system sounds like a great tool for tours since it works offline.