How would I fit in on Cunard?

AtSeaWithChris

I don't like dressing up but I will when I have to. I love being casual and myself. I love the fun on Carnival and carnival is all we have done. I am nowhere close to pretentious and those attitudes are not welcome. I want to try a "finer" cruise experience and I don't know much about Cunard.I did the travel agent training in case I ever need to know about it and want to possibly try it to have the experience. How would I fit in at Dinner if I wear a nice Polo or would we be turned to the Buffet? 

You would have to go to the buffet unless you put a sport jacket over your polo shirt.  Cunard is a stick to the rules cruise line.  The dress code from dinner on is dressy.  The smart casual nights require the men to wear a jacket and dress pants with or without tie.  Formal nights are dark suit or tux for the men and cocktail dresses or a dressy pantsuit.  You must stay dressed all evening if you want to be able to go to the show and other parts of the ship.  If you do not want to dress then there are parts of the ship you will not be able to enter.  If you want to experience the entire Cunard, you must adhere to the dress code.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, shippmates said:

You must stay dressed all evening if you want to be able to go to the show and other parts of the ship.  If you do not want to dress then there are parts of the ship you will not be able to enter.  If you want to experience the entire Cunard, you must adhere to the dress code.

Would I be allowed to shed the jacket after dinner?

14 minutes ago, 57eric said:

There are plenty of upscale cruise lines without much of a dress code.  Many of us choose Cunard because of the dress code, not in spite of it.

Thanks, and I get that, it's just  I like to be comfortable and a jacket is not comfortable unless it's cold outside. 🙂

6 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Thanks, and I get that, it's just  I like to be comfortable and a jacket is not comfortable unless it's cold outside. 🙂

I don't know what itinerary you are considering, but on many of the most common Cunard trips - North Atlantic, Iceland, Northern Europe, the Baltic - it often is cold outside in the evening.

• Like 1

57Eric is correct.

Cunard is both formal and traditional, and whilst there are places to go when you're dressed informally, you would definitely be missing out as all the main bars/cocktail bars/ballroom/theatre etc. require you to adhere to the evening's dress code.

Most of us enjoy the atmosphere and the evening activities. Surely it's a small price to pay>

Otherwise I'm afraid you should look elsewhere for a more suitable cruise line.

Good luck.

Stewart

• Like 4

The pervading thing about Cunard ships for me is their atmosphere of calm and serenity. The ships (almost) never seem crowded, and are always calm and peaceful. While I find this enjoyable and restorative, I can see others might find it a bit subdued. I suppose it depends on what you find fun.

As for the dressing up, it's not why I go on Cunard, but it's really no trouble, and a lot of people look splendid and greatly enjoy it, and so there's a great and tmosphere.

Edited by exlondoner
Incorrect spelling
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

No the dress code applies for the evening not just for dinner so if it is formal many will wear DJs/Tuxedos all evening and if smart casual a jacket will be worn in many places on the ship with the odd exception for those eating in the buffet. From you posts and my limited knowledge of Carnival cruises I think Cunard might not be for you as in the evening the dress code is very formal and in most adhered too throughout the ship and for that reason is why we love Cunard and many cruise onboard for that reason.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Yes, but only in Cunard designated (non-jacket) areas.

By all means try Cunard as one may enjoy the formality.  But there is much more to the Cunard experience besides the dress code.  For example the well mannered guests from all over the Globe, aka Cunarders.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

How would I fit in at Dinner if I wear a nice Polo or would we be turned to the Buffet? 

Not turned away but one would be politely requested to return to one’s stateroom for the accidentally forgotten jacket.  Then one has a choice, return to stateroom for for the jacket or dine in the buffet or stateroom.  Remember, the Theatre and the majority of bars and public areas are also covered by the dress code.  Therefore, one will miss out on so much on Cunard by the deliberate omission of a jacket on non-formal evenings.

Think with a minimal amount effort one would “fit in” on Cunard.  But one has to ask oneself if there is a will to make said effort, albeit out of respect for the ship’s dress code and other guests.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Type
  • Like 1

If your perspective of an enjoyable cruise is Carnival, you may not enjoy Cunard.

I'm aware of Carnival's focus on "Fun."  Cunard knows how to entertain their clientele but they don't have much of what I think of as Carnival's flavor of "Fun." 

For a specific example that comes to mind: The Cruise Director (Entertainment Director) on Cunard isn't your pal. He/she is a professional whose duty is to present the finest of entertainment on your voyage. More reserved than wacky.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jackets are definitely required for men in the main restaurants for evening dining  and whilst it would be untruthful to say everybody follows the evening guidelines of the day around the ship after six pm, most do because the evening ambiance is part of the enjoyment of the experience and those who don't observe the evening requirements, if not keeping to the casual areas of the ship,  will stand out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I don't like dressing up but I will when I have to. I love being casual and myself...

If dressing up is something that you do only reluctanly, then there are other things about the atmosphere of a Cunard ship that might not be a good match for you. 

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for the information. We have never sailed Cunard and think it may be a nice treat for us to do. We are considering an Alaska itinerary. I thought it might be a little less formal on that itinerary. It looks like it would be a trip back in time to my great aunt's era on dressing and formalities. Still on the fence if I would fit in. Thanks again everyone. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Thank you everyone for the information. We have never sailed Cunard and think it may be a nice treat for us to do. We are considering an Alaska itinerary. I thought it might be a little less formal on that itinerary. It looks like it would be a trip back in time to my great aunt's era on dressing and formalities. Still on the fence if I would fit in. Thanks again everyone. 

Everyone fits in, it's just to what degree. 🙂

I do hope you give Cunard a try. Wearing a jacket might seem a chore at first but you never know, the ship's ambiance might grow on you and it will become a natural part of your evening attire whilst on board a Cunard ship.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I think you'll probably be fine, for you are prepared for what it's going to be like, and will dress accordingly, so you won't get a nasty surprise because you have turned up to dinner in your beach things or some such. And there are so many nice things to enjoy on board as well as seeing people dress up.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Don’t be a “yea but, not but” - Go for it….

I had the same option - Cunard Countess? Caribbean?  Should we? Yes/no? 
But my DW admitted a dream from childhood to go on a cruise and make an entrance down sweeping stairs in a sparkly dress - So we went.  Never looked back….

There are many who tried it and ending up loving it….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I haven't been on any of Cunard's Alaska itineraries, but it's my understanding that the dress codes have indeed been slightly relaxed on those itineraries with jackets optional the evening of embarkation day in Vancouver. I've read a report here that jackets were optional during the last evening of QE's Alaska itineraries as well.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I don't like dressing up but I will when I have to. I love being casual and myself. I love the fun on Carnival and carnival is all we have done. I am nowhere close to pretentious and those attitudes are not welcome. I want to try a "finer" cruise experience and I don't know much about Cunard.I did the travel agent training in case I ever need to know about it and want to possibly try it to have the experience. How would I fit in at Dinner if I wear a nice Polo or would we be turned to the Buffet? 

My goodness if you have had to ask a question like this you certainly haven't done enough Cunard homework. I'm a bit confused, you mention "travel agent training" , presumably this is needed for the product you sell  ?

Dress codes and sophisticated evenings after 6pm are very much part of the DNA of Cunard .

Will you be directed to the Buffet in a Polo shirt ( assuming you mean without a jacket ) ?  I'm afraid you will. 

Cunard have additional venues for those guests who prefer to relax and dress more casually in the evenings   

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

My goodness if you have had to ask a question like this you certainly haven't done enough Cunard homework. I'm a bit confused, you mention "travel agent training" , presumably this is needed for the product you sell  ?

Dress codes and sophisticated evenings after 6pm are very much part of the DNA of Cunard .

Will you be directed to the Buffet in a Polo shirt ( assuming you mean without a jacket ) ?  I'm afraid you will. 

Cunard have additional venues for those guests who prefer to relax and dress more casually in the evenings   

Thank you.