Borealis on the Move

tring

26 minutes ago, Britboys said:

She seems to have gone through them. The webcam seems stuck on 9pm...

Yeah, Fred went earlier than he said, about 8.30 by the looks of the webcam - you can click back through the times, which are in 10 min intervals.  We missed her too, but it was a very murky view on the webcam when we went back to it.  Much better pics on the book of faces. Also Fred's page there gives her movements until she arrives in Liverpool on 1st July.  Going off for a bit of sailing (trials presumably) for a couple of days, then anchors back in the Forth for a couple of days, then couple of days to Liverpool.  Seems there is a shakedown cruise leaving then, before the maiden voyage.

We have now booked the 12th July cruise, which seemed to have gone down a bit in price as we have lost both MSC and Tradewinds, because of overbooking/change of itineraries.  That Fred cruise now just gone on a saver fare, (was not on when we booked on Monday).  We have got £100pp obs though, so not that much difference and we would likely have preferred the advantages of Freedom fare anyway.  Not surprising he has had to go into saver fares, though I have a feeling he will not be the only cruise line to give more offers - a watch this space job!

Hope you are enjoying the freedoms we now have,

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tring said:

Yeah, Fred went earlier than he said, about 8.30 by the looks of the webcam - you can go back through the times, which are in 10 min intervals.  We missed her too, but it was a very murky view on the webcam.  Much better pics on the book of faces. also Fred's page there gives her movements until she arrives in Liverpool on 1st July.  Going off for a bit of sailing (trials presumably) for a couple of days, then anchors back in the Forth for a couple of days, then couple of days to Liverpool.  Seems there is a shakedown cruise leaving then, before the maiden voyage.

We have now booked the 12th July cruise, which seemed to have gone down a bit in price as we have lost both MSC and Tradewinds, because of overbooking/change of itineraries.  That Fred cruise now just gone on a saver fare, (was not on when we booked on Monday).  We have got £100pp obs though, so not that much difference and we would likely have preferred the advantages of Freedom fare anyway.  Not surprising he has had to go into saver fares, though I have a feeling he will not be the only cruise line to give more offers - a watch this space job!

Hope you are enjoying the freedoms we now have,

Barbara

Yes, I do follow Fred on faceache. Some nice photos posted. I'll keep a look out on Fred's site to see if any of the southern cruises come down in price.

This week has felt vaguely normal, for the first time in ages, with meals out, a cinema trip and getting back to swimming three times a week.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Yes, I do follow Fred on faceache. Some nice photos posted. I'll keep a look out on Fred's site to see if any of the southern cruises come down in price.

This week has felt vaguely normal, for the first time in ages, with meals out, a cinema trip and getting back to swimming three times a week.

The saver fares are a tad cheaper again on an ummentionable agent site - one that is very unpopular, I think you will know which one, but only another £20pp for a twin booked inside.  I was thinking of you when I investigated it on Fred's site as it mentioned singles, but were still very high prices. 

We went off for two nights in Telford and three in Oswestry at the end of last week - not big tourist areas, but very near home and we bookied into a number of NT and English Heritage sites.  Did a lot of walking and I was feeling quite active when we came back - but not dragged myself out of the house since, leaving Allan to do the shopping - oops.  

• Like 1

Borealis arrived in Liverpool yesterday and is due to sail later today on a shakedown cruise, mainly with agents, I think.  She will return on the 4th and remain docked until the 5th when she sails on her maiden cruise.

Currently visible here:-   http://www.wirralcam.org/wirralcam2016/waterfront2.shtml

If you click to the "Seaforth Docks" option at the bottom of the webcam page, should be a better pic of her as she sails past, fairly soon after leaving the terminal ( there will be a short while, when she is not visible between those viewings.  The "Mersey Mouth" option should pick her up for a while after Seaforth - not sure when she is sailing though - will try to find out.

We went over late yesterday and took some pics, mainly from the ferry, which I may be able to post later.  We also met a couple of the housekeeping staff who were returning to the ship after having their vaccinations - so good to know Fred has been able to arrange for that.

A week on Monday for us, but we are still waiting for tickets and luggage labels, presumably because we only booked about two weeks ago.  After being bunked off a couple of other cruise lines for June/July recently, we are hoping this will be third time lucky 🙂

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

Borealis pics from yesterday.  The middle three were taken from the ferry which is seen arriving in the first picture.

IMG_7062.thumb.JPG.0569d42d5ef085056854465b2739a2e1.JPGIMG_7064.thumb.JPG.77cab7bf6e50c0b75e993226bae98fe5.JPGIMG_7065.thumb.JPG.b754a809796e050e40e3ec86b478209b.JPGIMG_7066.thumb.JPG.387e27efdbead9c0a80cf99fbf8282ee.JPGIMG_7067.thumb.JPG.1c950713993bc460b5b348f8c43f958b.JPG

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, tring said:

Borealis pics from yesterday

Thank you for posting the pictures.  It does take a former guest on her a bit getting used to the Fred. Olsen colors on her funnels.  But, she remains a lovely ship.

Enjoy your trip on her and I look forward to reading your posts about it.  

• Like 1

She has just left Liverpool to make her way up the Mersey again.  Can be followed on the webcam above - Liverpool waterfront - Egremont - Seaforth - Mersey Mouth.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:13 PM, rkacruiser said:

Thank you for posting the pictures.  It does take a former guest on her a bit getting used to the Fred. Olsen colors on her funnels.  But, she remains a lovely ship.

Enjoy your trip on her and I look forward to reading your posts about it.  

Thank you will provide a report.  Just found the cruise for 6th August has been reduced, so booked that this morning.  May be in a cabin to the rear of the ship as we have booked a guarantee rate for that one (unusual for us).  Do you know if there is a lot of vibration to the rear of the ship?

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I do not recall any unusual vibration.  

Thanks for the reply.  There seem to be a number of cabins still available which are not right at the back and some are on deck 3 as well, so will keep our fingers crossed 🙂

Seems worth trying the odd badly placed cabins on the newly newly acquired ships anyway, as will give us an idea if it is worth risking a late, guarantee rate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tring said:

There seem to be a number of cabins still available which are not right at the back and some are on deck 3 as well, so will keep our fingers crossed 🙂

My experience has been on Deck 2 (the HAL Dolphin Deck) in an area aft of the forward stairwell/elevator foyer.  Stable; a good "riding" location.  In the MDR and being on the aft open decks of the ship, I do not recall anything unusual as to vibration.  The ship has propellers and not azipods.  So, if the seas are rough and there is much pitching, when those propellers come out of the water, there is going to be vibration.  Also, the ship has, if I recall correctly, aft thrusters.  When they are activated, and you have a stateroom in that area, that may be an unwelcome early wake-up call.  

• Thanks 1