Diagnosed with Cancer...but I still plan to cruise

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in March of this year (2021).  I am 2/3 of the way through very aggressive Chemotherapy and still have surgery and radiation to go.  I have a cruise booked for February 13, 2022 on the Harmony of the Seas.  I don't know how I will feel when February rolls around but my nurse told me that chemo is the worst part so just hang in there. 

I have finally started looking at excursions, Voom packages etc.  I'm getting myself in the mood to cruise.  I was reading the back and forth about wearing mask on the cruise.  Be thankful that you have a choice in your everyday lives.  If I go out even with heat index of 100+ I have to wear a mask...so I just don't go out.  🙂 By February this issue with my immune system should be over so I'm on the side of hoping that we don't have to wear mask but if we do, we do.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my cruise in February will be somewhat of a Victory Cruise and that I will have some hair!  Promised all of my girlfriends that I will keep my sense of humor through it all - who knows, I may rock the Mr. Clean look.

Can't wait to go!

• Like 36

MOSusan..  Best of luck to you!  Keep positive and keep planning the excursions for your cruise to keep you focused on the good times you'll be enjoying next February.  You've got this!  God Bless!!

• Like 1

This is such a great post by the OP.  Thank you for sharing and I am 100% positive that 1.  masks will be gone by February (i have a 2/20/22 cruise so I know...) and 2. you will be the best looking one on your ship because of your positivity!

• Like 4

Having a positive outlook does worlds for the soul. Enjoy booking excursions and getting ready for your cruise. This will be a victory cruise because you will kick cancers a$$. 🛳 🥂

When I was undergoing chemo for colon cancer, many years ago, doctor said go for it and we cruised.  We went sightseeing in the am and napped if necessary in the afternoon.   Dh would go out without me if I was resting.   Enjoyed our evenings as usual.   Only wore my wig at night (had a little hair by then).  My advice, go and enjoy.

• Like 5

Best wishes for a full recovery. My advice is to seek medical advice from your oncologist. 

For reference here was my experience. After 4 months of difficult chemotherapy, and while I was waiting  (30 days) to start radiation and have some additional chemotherapy,  I asked my oncologist if I could take a trip. I didn’t say where or the type of trip. Her only response was “yes-but not on a plane”. I suspect if I had been honest and said a cruise her response  would’ve been “no”

We took an oasis class ship. With the exception of muster, we managed to find quiet out-of-the-way places. I found that I was not able to enjoy many of the shows because I was just worn out by 8 or 9PM. One evening I couldn’t make it to dinner. We only left the ship for one excursion, and that was to go to a resort on one of the islands. We took a taxi.  Honestly, if I had it to do over again, especially now, I would not have taken the cruise 

Fast  forward to  have finished my year of chemotherapy, and 5 weeks of radiation-I  rang the bell. We took a fabulous back to back cruise on oasis, in a  wonderful suite. I felt much better by then and enjoyed the cruises very much. We were cruising about 5 times a year prior to my cancer diagnosis. My husband ordered a cake that read “welcome back” 

The most important thing for you to consider is your surgery schedule and how that may affect your travel plans. And the advise of your oncologist regarding Covid protocols. 

Regarding your “ Mr. clean“ look, I bought a wig to wear to dinner  but wore a hat during the day. 

Please don’t take any medical advise from a cruise board. Again best wishes for a full recovery. 

m

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I will try to find my Crise critic board story I posted over 5 years. Between great doctors, family love and support, cruising with Royal Caribbean is what got me to the day i rang the bell. Hang in there and you too will be ringing all kinds of bells, including the ship bell.  God bless. Heather

• Like 1

Hang in there, and use this as a goal to keep pushing with something to look forward to. Treatment protocols vary by patient, and each patient responds to them differently. Use your judgement, talk with your doctors about your risks, and make the best decision for you. 

If all goes well and this ends up being a celebration cruise for you, just go in with realistic expectations. You may not be up for taking the 3 mile hike up a volcano that you had your heart set on when you first planned the trip, but that's ok. You're alive, you're healthy enough to go on a ship with 3000+ other people and all the cooties they love to share, and you get to enjoy the nice ocean breeze on your face. Make each day and moment count.

You got this!  Kick cancers ass!!!

We took my mom on a cruise a few weeks after her cancer diagnosis in 2017 and before she was to see an oncologist.  Sadly we lost her 4 weeks later.  She would talk about the great time she had on the cruise while she was declining.  The crew will never know what they did for her in her final days.

My cousin recently recovered from BC this year.  Who cares if you lose your hair?  You are beautiful no matter what!  My cousin is normally very straight laced and she bought a few colorful/crazy wigs off of Amazon and had a blast being different while her hair regrew.  She said the wild colors reminded her she is a survivor.  Keep your head up!  I will be praying for you.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MOSusan said:

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in March of this year (2021).  I am 2/3 of the way through very aggressive Chemotherapy and still have surgery and radiation to go.  I have a cruise booked for February 13, 2022 on the Harmony of the Seas.  I don't know how I will feel when February rolls around but my nurse told me that chemo is the worst part so just hang in there. 

I have finally started looking at excursions, Voom packages etc.  I'm getting myself in the mood to cruise.  I was reading the back and forth about wearing mask on the cruise.  Be thankful that you have a choice in your everyday lives.  If I go out even with heat index of 100+ I have to wear a mask...so I just don't go out.  🙂 By February this issue with my immune system should be over so I'm on the side of hoping that we don't have to wear mask but if we do, we do.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my cruise in February will be somewhat of a Victory Cruise and that I will have some hair!  Promised all of my girlfriends that I will keep my sense of humor through it all - who knows, I may rock the Mr. Clean look.

Can't wait to go!

i pray for you.  In your situation you should go.   blessings 

Wow!  Thank you for all of the kind words.  By the time of the cruise I will be 6 1/2  months out from Chemo and will do my best to build my strength for the cruise.  I won't be doing any 3 mile  hikes up a volcano as one poster mentioned, I think turning sixty with two bum knees kind of knocked that one out!  But napping in the afternoon might be a good idea - I'd hate to miss dinner and the shows. 

Thanks for all of the well wishes.  Royal Caribbean Cruisers sure are a special group!  

• Like 4

Prayers for your recovery!

DM was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in Feb. 

Started Chemo the end of April.

Has been lucky that she just has a bad 24-48 hours in the days after the treatment.

She attended DD's college graduation (flew out of town) 2 wks after 2nd treatment.

We went to Vegas 10 days after her 3rd treatment. 

She is now doing some radiation & will have her last chemo the 2nd. 

I'm pushing her to do a cruise the end of July with me.

We cancelled 3 cruises in the last 2 years.

If COVID has taught me anything,  it's DON'T PUT ANYTHING OFF!

TAKE CARE!

• Like 5

I was diagnosed in October of 2020.  Stage IV. Rare tumor on a cranial nerve.  We thought our cruising days might be over or severely diminished. I’m so fortunate that immunotherapy has worked. I had surgery 6 weeks ago at MD Anderson that opened the entire right side of my face, they could find no cancer. Immunotherapy continues but I’m in complete remission. 

I share this as an encouragement.  Take care of yourself.  Give yourself small goals to achieve. God has chosen to give me more time for which I’m very thankful.  I’m still reading a book called streams in the desert for encouragement.

We booked a cruise in a suite to celebrate the end of treatment in November! I pray it never comes back.  In the meantime we will live each day.   I hope you’ll have many more cruises ahead.  Keep up the fight! 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I was diagnosed in October of 2020.  Stage IV. Rare tumor on a cranial nerve.  We thought our cruising days might be over or severely diminished. I’m so fortunate that immunotherapy has worked. I had surgery 6 weeks ago at MD Anderson that opened the entire right side of my face, they could find no cancer. Immunotherapy continues but I’m in complete remission. 

I share this as an encouragement.  Take care of yourself.  Give yourself small goals to achieve. God has chosen to give me more time for which I’m very thankful.  I’m still reading a book called streams in the desert for encouragement.

We booked a cruise in a suite to celebrate the end of treatment in November! I pray it never comes back.  In the meantime we will live each day.   I hope you’ll have many more cruises ahead.  Keep up the fight! 

You have a wonderful story.  I'm am so happy for you that it has turned out the way it has.  I will continue to fight as that is all I know how to do (4th of 5 children, so...).  I'm going to beat this and I plan on many, many more cruises and RV trips.  :)

• Like 4

Every year my DH and I plan one of our cruises to be with my BFF and her husband to commemorate the end of my BFF's chemo treatments for breast cancer. It's been many years now, so keep in mind that you'll also have many cruises and other travel delights to look forward to! ☺️

Hang in there, and hopefully chemo won't be so bad for you. I remember my BFF only complained of one thing - and this was the only thing - all she wanted to eat during chemo time was a Burger King Whopper Jr, onion rings and a milkshake. She usually eats very healthily and felt so guilty, but that was it, and so her husband faithfully drove through that BK drive thru daily. LOL she can't stand the thought of it now!

Of course we've missed a couple of those celebration cruises with the pandemic, but can't wait to start back up and toast her again. 🍸

Best of luck to you and hope all treatment goes as smoothly for you!

• Like 2