Salzburg tour from Passau - Recommendation

Any suggestions for going to Salzburg - do you recommend the Viking tour or taking the train and doing it own on your own?  If on your own, are there tours that you recommend taking once you get to Salzburg?   

13 hours ago, LeanneS said:

Any suggestions for going to Salzburg - do you recommend the Viking tour or taking the train and doing it own on your own?  If on your own, are there tours that you recommend taking once you get to Salzburg?   

If you want to see as much as possible, I recommend DIY. We took the train & had a wonderful time  - we visited what we wanted to see at our own pace. It is a short walk (about 15 - 20 minutes) from the train station to Salzburg old town (you can also catch a bus outside the train station).

Our DIY tour included inside visits to the Mozart Residence & the Mozart Geburthaus (birth house) - audio guides were included in the price of our admission to each of these sites. We also visited Salzburg Cathedral, St. Peter's Abbey and took a ride on the Festungsbahn (funicular railway) up to Hohensalzburg Fortress. Our day included time to stroll Getreidegasse and have a nice lunch.

On the way back to the train station, we had time to do a quick tour of Mirabell Palace and Gardens.

We used the Rick Steves Audio Europe Travel App(free) which we downloaded to our smartphones. This app includes a nice walking tour of Salzburg (with accompanying map). 

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-europe

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

If you want to see as much as possible, I recommend DIY. We took the train & had a wonderful time  - we visited what we wanted to see at our own pace. It is a short walk (about 15 - 20 minutes) from the train station to Salzburg old town (you can also catch a bus outside the train station).

Our DIY tour included inside visits to the Mozart Residence & the Mozart Geburthaus (birth house) - audio guides were included in the price of our admission to each of these sites. We also visited Salzburg Cathedral, St. Peter's Abbey and took a ride on the Festungsbahn (funicular railway) up to Hohensalzburg Fortress. Our day included time to stroll Getreidegasse and have a nice lunch.

On the way back to the train station, we had time to do a quick tour of Mirabell Palace and Gardens.

We used the Rick Steves Audio Europe Travel App(free) which we downloaded to our smartphones. This app includes a nice walking tour of Salzburg (with accompanying map). 

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-europe

Thank you so much for this info and the Budapest info.  So detailed!  I truly appreciate it.  I like the idea of doing the DIY and taking the train through the countryside.  I have done it once from Brussels to Amsterdam and loved seeing the countryside go by.  I downloaded the app that you mentioned.  Will use it at our stop in Vienna too.  

Thanks again,

Leanne

Don't know when you will be cruising but this year it is very possible you will be limited to the Viking tours to stay in the "bubble."  However, if this is before the beginning of the cruise and you can not have to be in the "bubble" prior to boarding or at the termination of the cruise; I would say go for on your own.

Stan

14 hours ago, travelingman said:

Don't know when you will be cruising but this year it is very possible you will be limited to the Viking tours to stay in the "bubble."  However, if this is before the beginning of the cruise and you can not have to be in the "bubble" prior to boarding or at the termination of the cruise; I would say go for on your own.

Stan

Thanks Stan.  Good point.  We will have to wait and see.  Hope things are better by then!

• 1 month later...

Good advice here. We took the Viking tour and we were not impressed.

We had toured on our own in Salzburg a few years prior and did very well with our own research and the HOHO bus.

But as mentioned be aware of any Covid restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Viking tour. A lot of the time was spent traveling on the bus and as such we were pressed for time. 

When we visited the Mirabelle Gardens we only stood at one end and could not get close to the Sound of Music stairs.

We saw the outside of the Mozart Residence and Geburthaus as we walked by. We were able to visit inside the Cathedral.

Part of our time was occupied with a lunch (large hall with other tour groups-pre pandemic) and a Sound of Music show. I would have rather had a quicker lunch and more free time.

Afforded a little bit of free time afterwards on our way back to the bus. We were able to buy some Mozartkugel and a Sacher Torte.

If I were to travel to Salzburg again I would make my own arrangements.

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2021 at 8:11 PM, LeanneS said:

Thank you so much for this info and the Budapest info.  So detailed!  I truly appreciate it.  I like the idea of doing the DIY and taking the train through the countryside.  I have done it once from Brussels to Amsterdam and loved seeing the countryside go by.  I downloaded the app that you mentioned.  Will use it at our stop in Vienna too.  

Thanks again,

Leanne

Leanne, I see you're on the Atla in October, are you there?  We're on it 11/28 and looking for tips/feedback.  Thanks, Bill