Jump to content

Virgin App still not working?!


Recommended Posts

I’m booked on one of the Virgin UK Summer Staycation cruises - it will be my first ever cruise. When I booked it the agent sold me on the Rock Star upgrade as one of the “major perks” was the ability to reserve restaurants and show spots 60 days out rather than the normal 45 days via the app!

 

However as of yesterday I still couldn’t see the app was working as I’m now in my “60 day out” period. I phoned Virgin and they said the app was still not functional, they had no date known when it would be and that I should just check back every day to see if it was now up!

 

Is this usual for cruise lines? What have those on the early August cruises done to get reservations? The headline restaurants all look great and on a 4 day cruise I would love to visit them all at least once.

 

Thoughts?

 

Don aka Quacks the (Virgin) Cruiser

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the Sept 26th cruise from Miami, I've been able to do my entire online check in, as well as book shore excursions. I'm hoping that by my 45 day mark, they'll have it sorted out...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Quacks the Cruiser said:

I’m booked on one of the Virgin UK Summer Staycation cruises - it will be my first ever cruise. When I booked it the agent sold me on the Rock Star upgrade as one of the “major perks” was the ability to reserve restaurants and show spots 60 days out rather than the normal 45 days via the app!

 

However as of yesterday I still couldn’t see the app was working as I’m now in my “60 day out” period. I phoned Virgin and they said the app was still not functional, they had no date known when it would be and that I should just check back every day to see if it was now up!

 

Is this usual for cruise lines? What have those on the early August cruises done to get reservations? The headline restaurants all look great and on a 4 day cruise I would love to visit them all at least once.

 

Thoughts?

 

Don aka Quacks the (Virgin) Cruiser

 

 

One of the deciding factors for booking a Rockstar suite was the early booking window too. I’m now at 45 days out and still cannot book anything!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2021 at 1:41 AM, Quacks the Cruiser said:

I’m booked on one of the Virgin UK Summer Staycation cruises - it will be my first ever cruise. When I booked it the agent sold me on the Rock Star upgrade as one of the “major perks” was the ability to reserve restaurants and show spots 60 days out rather than the normal 45 days via the app!

 

However as of yesterday I still couldn’t see the app was working as I’m now in my “60 day out” period. I phoned Virgin and they said the app was still not functional, they had no date known when it would be and that I should just check back every day to see if it was now up!

 

Is this usual for cruise lines? What have those on the early August cruises done to get reservations? The headline restaurants all look great and on a 4 day cruise I would love to visit them all at least once.

 

Thoughts?

 

Don aka Quacks the (Virgin) Cruiser

 

 

This has happened to other folks - delete the app and reinstall it. It has fixed the issue for many (including myself).Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After deleting and reinstalling the app - again - I once again contacted sailor services.

Ahoy Wendy,  

 
Thanks for your patience as we work on the Sailor App. Our Crew wants to makes sure the app is completely ship-shape for our UK voyages, and will let you know when the booking process opens. 
 
Thanks again for your patience, and we look forward to seeing you on board! 
 
goodness knows when we will get to book for the UK cruises!
Wendy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wendyam76 said:

After deleting and reinstalling the app - again - I once again contacted sailor services.

Ahoy Wendy,  

 
Thanks for your patience as we work on the Sailor App. Our Crew wants to makes sure the app is completely ship-shape for our UK voyages, and will let you know when the booking process opens. 
 
Thanks again for your patience, and we look forward to seeing you on board! 
 
goodness knows when we will get to book for the UK cruises!
Wendy

Virgin has had multiple years to fix the sailor app, including the break with covid to focus on fixing it. It is the worst performing app I have ever seen. Time to hire some REAL app developers so they know what they are doing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An interesting thread. 

 

I booked with Virgin for one of their August UK sailings last week and downloaded the App onto my iPhone 11Pro yesterday. It downloaded perfectly and I was able to 'Check -in', including using the App to scan my passport and provide a security Photo, nominate a credit card and give a delivery  address for 'The Band' for both myself and my wife....

 

1991929317_1AllShipshape.thumb.jpg.ac35f82f38db4dca1308e8a8b14b08a3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

An interesting thread. 

 

I booked with Virgin for one of their August UK sailings last week and downloaded the App onto my iPhone 11Pro yesterday. It downloaded perfectly and I was able to 'Check -in', including using the App to scan my passport and provide a security Photo, nominate a credit card and give a delivery  address for 'The Band' for both myself and my wife....

 

1991929317_1AllShipshape.thumb.jpg.ac35f82f38db4dca1308e8a8b14b08a3.jpg

Yes, they finally got that bit to work but what I, and others, are referring to is the ability to book restaurants etc - for some of us being able to do that in advance is one of the reasons to book a suite. I find it so strange they won’t let us do that via their website - other cruise lines have apps but you can still book things via the website!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

Yes, they finally got that bit to work but what I, and others, are referring to is the ability to book restaurants etc - for some of us being able to do that in advance is one of the reasons to book a suite. I find it so strange they won’t let us do that via their website - other cruise lines have apps but you can still book things via the website!

Hi there.

 

I was just reading up on the $400 'Bar Tab' thread and saw your notification come through.

 

I did wonder if it was possible to make reservations for dining in advance as it wasn't an obvious option on the App.

 

Having said that though I seem to recall that its only Oceania that specialises in that kind of privilege where they open bookings chronologically against one's level of accommodation.

 

As I'm pretty sure this will be  a 'one off'  cruise experience  I'm probably happy to 'go with the flow' on this occasion and for such a short period.

 

Having said that Virgin owe me one: I talked our two best friends into coming with us yesterday and they've booked. 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Virgin specifically state suites can book early - a bit like Disney (yes, can you get a more different cruise line!) do for loyal guests and concierge. If I was just going myself happy to go with the flow but as taking my mum booking early makes my life easier - and was a deciding factor - that and the 4 bottles of bubbly that comes with the suite!

Wendy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’re with you on that Wendy! The non-buffet dining and the ability to book “proper” restaurants is one of Virgin’s key USP’s and was a major factor in persuading us to choose a suite with ability to book 60 days out!

 

we are not so keen on shows, but do like a relaxing evening meal followed by a couple of nightcaps! Virgin have had long enough to get this sorted. For “sailors” on the early cruise’s they are only37 days out. If they can’t get the app working then open up the website or telephone for booking!

 

let’s see if the “shake for champagne” works

 

Don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was due to go in May, and had no problem using the app for that, until it was canceled. Then I rebooked for October, and it immediately showed up again in my app. I've been able to make reservations for excursions and all that, no issues with the app at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I too have had problems with the app and I’ve had to uninstall it multiple time in order to register for our cruise.  I did see that it was updated 2 days ago so hopefully that resolves any issues that we all seem to experiencing.  

 

I was also unaware of you needing to reserve times for dinning as the big draw for Virgin was dine anywhere, anytime for no extra fee.  Is this a change due to COVID or was this always an option?
 

 I’m sure anyone responding already knows the unique things about Virgin but I will be making more videos when I get onboard so if you interested, subscribe to part time cruisers.

Edited by Chamoretta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive had to delete and reinstall numerous times. The app loads now, but expecting it to fail again sometime soon. Not sure what the problem can be.

 

I'm now at T-40 days..... When  should I be expecting the band? I actually booked through an agent, so would it come direct or via the TA? (I half expect it will be via the agent.)

 

Was expecting to see more in the app, but is a bit meh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We haven’t got the band yet - think we are the cruise after you.

As for prebooking - I think I’m used to prebooking times/restaurants on other cruise lines so when Virgin advertised suite guests could do this earlier I saw it as a bonus. Especially with so many venues I wouldn’t like to think of the queues if people all wanted to eat in the same place/same time. 
Just have to wait and see!

Wendy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2021 at 5:01 AM, les37b said:

Ive had to delete and reinstall numerous times. The app loads now, but expecting it to fail again sometime soon. Not sure what the problem can be.

 

I'm now at T-40 days..... When  should I be expecting the band? I actually booked through an agent, so would it come direct or via the TA? (I half expect it will be via the agent.)

 

Was expecting to see more in the app, but is a bit meh.

According to the FAQ from virgin they are sent 45 days before sailing depending on where you live.   Also “The Band never arrived to my home. What should I do?
Give our Sailor Services Crew a ring, and we can help track it down for you. If it's not due to arrive prior to your departure, we'll have one waiting for you at the terminal.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2021 at 5:01 AM, les37b said:

Ive had to delete and reinstall numerous times. The app loads now, but expecting it to fail again sometime soon. Not sure what the problem can be.

 

I'm now at T-40 days..... When  should I be expecting the band? I actually booked through an agent, so would it come direct or via the TA? (I half expect it will be via the agent.)

 

Was expecting to see more in the app, but is a bit meh.

I continue to have problems with the app too.  I just keep trying back.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I just tried to log in again and got critical error try again. Next time, I'm told 35 days to go, but I can see nowhere I could book a restaurant for example.

 

Just me or app a bit naff?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Well I just tried to log in again and got critical error try again. Next time, I'm told 35 days to go, but I can see nowhere I could book a restaurant for example.

 

Just me or app a bit naff?

The app is a piece of garbage-A 10 year old could make a better, more stable app. I have had to delete twice in last 30 days just so I could get it to work..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I've just been able to book The Red Room & evening restuarants in the app for our UK summer cruise on 16/8 (we are in a suite - dont know if this is rock star access only or everyone, as we are -42 days now). Accessed them through Discover -> Ship.

Limited to one booking per restaurant.

 

Can also see the entertainment schedule now through Discover -> Lineup

Edited by paul_uk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After being promised I would be emailed to say the bookings were open - I wasn’t and spotted they were open for suites! So, yes I’ve made evening meal reservations and some activities. I did ask about the cabanas and the poor reservation agent honestly thought I was expecting these UK cruises were going to Bimini Beach Club! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks PaulUK - I;ve now got my restaurants, mixology class and a few shows booked. We have decided to try Razzle Dazzle for a lunch rather than a dinner but didn’t see anywhere the promised Drag-brunch!

 

some events look “interesting” (bondage and erotic chat in bed!) but overall weaker than I expected.

 

Did you get a cabana booked Wendy and if so how much? I want one for a day and sent a message to the “Rock Star Agents” this morning but so far no response!

 

QTC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...