Royal Caribbean Data Breach

Posted (edited)

I received the following in snail mail today. I called Royal Caribbean and verified that the letter was indeed from them:

Dear <ourname>,

We are writing to let you know about an incident in which a third party may have gained unauthorized access to your personal information. Below is a summary of what happened, what personal data was involved, what we are doing, what you can do, and where you can obtain more information.

At some time between February 6, 2021 and February 18, 2021, your personal data may have been accessed by a third party who gained unauthorized access to a limited number of our employees’ email accounts. Upon discovery, we immediately secured the email accounts, began an investigation, and arranged resources to start identifying, informing, and assisting persons whose personal information may have been involved. During our review, we identified your information as having potentially been accessed, although we are not aware of any attempt to exploit this incident in a malicious way

In addition to your name, certain internal identifiers that we use, and information about your vacations with a Royal Caribbean brand, the personal data that may have been accessed includes some or all of the following: your contact information, date of birth; gender; nationality; passport number; state driver’s license or other government identification number; and/or tokenized or partial payment card information (that is, payment card numbers that have been redacted or replaced with a placeholder to prevent misuse). To our knowledge, your information did not include your full, unencrypted payment card information, or social security number or equivalent taxpayer identifier. Therefore, we believe the risk of someone misusing your data is low.

We are taking this incident very seriously and have taken steps to strengthen our protection of personal information, including updating email access controls. We have not identified any further unauthorized activity since the breach was identified and contained in mid-February. We will continue to closely monitor and take further steps as appropriate to safeguard your personal data.

We are taking this incident very seriously and have taken steps to strengthen our protection of personal information, including updating email access controls. We have not identified any further unauthorized activity since the breach was identified and contained in mid-February. We will continue to closely monitor and take further steps as appropriate to safeguard your personal data.

We are sorry that this occurred. You can find more information about steps that you can take in the appendix to this letter. If you have any questions, please call +1 855-535-1847 between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.

Edited by WeighAnchor
  • Thanks 1

• WeighAnchor changed the title to Royal Caribbean Data Breach

Thanks for letting us know. I have lost count of how many similar letters I have received from various corporations. Home Depot, Experian, Target.....So RC is not surprising. 

But it is nice to be informed. 3A and Discover both have free credit monitoring services for customers. :classic_smile:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Awesome. Just unfroze my credit LAST WEEK after several years locked up (since Equifax.) 

My credit is always frozen.  I unlock it if necessary and only for a 24 hr period. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

So if someone cruises with my name and C&A number, will I get the points?

Pray they do it soon as you may get double points, perhaps they will book a suite to give you quadruple points.  Got to love those thoughtful hackers..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Did you book through a RCI Personal Vacation Planner?  
Just wondering what type of contact you had with Royal. 

We originally booked this onboard a previous sailing. We don’t use travel agencies. I have moved our sailings because of COVID and done that through the L&S form and I have also had dealings with C&A Desk as well as cruise planners. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My mom was crossed up with someone for C&A. The first time I completed her check in she already had a number. I asked them to remove it. The second time she was already Platinum with 5 cruises. Hopefully that other person is still cruising. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great!  My husband was a victim of identity theft in March and he is still seeing things pop up from that.

Sure hope I'm not the next victim or anyone else on here.

Getting tougher and tougher to make sure everything is secure with far too many people having our personal information on their computers.

9 hours ago, MaryZ said:

My credit is always frozen.  I unlock it if necessary and only for a 24 hr period. 

That's what we did too.  First it was Target, then Anthem (health care, not the ship) and then Equifax.  We got fed up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Hey, let's incorporate in Liberia. What could possibly go wrong?

So you are inferring that if RCL was incorporated in Delaware, they are protected from data breaches that occurs almost every day in the USA.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Awesome. Just unfroze my credit LAST WEEK after several years locked up (since Equifax.) 

NEVER UNFREEZE YOUR CREDIT ACCOUNTS.

Keep them frozen and if a company needs to do a hard pull of just ask which company they use and then do a temporary lift for 24, 48, hrs etc.  that keeps your accounts safe.

DPR

11 hours ago, Coralc said:

Thanks for letting us know. I have lost count of how many similar letters I have received from various corporations. Home Depot, Experian, Target.....So RC is not surprising. 

But it is nice to be informed. 3A and Discover both have free credit monitoring services for customers. :classic_smile:

The exception with the businesses mentioned above is that they don't store passport information.  That concerns me more than anything.

• Like 2