Carnival hub app

My sisters & I are taking a carnival  cruise in March. On our upcoming princess cruise we must download their medallian app & put all our info, requests, etc., in the app. There is no choice. Is the carnival hub app required for their cruises? Thanks.

John Heald said today that the safety briefing will use the HUB app.  We love the app. You can make YTD table requests, view all the entertainment for the week, and all the dining room menus for the week.  Certainly worth having and using.

• Like 5

On our last Carnival cruise, pre Covid, we used the HUB app and thought it was great. Many benefits. Not sure why one would not want to use it. 

In the future would bet the farm that all cruise lines will be using similar technology. May not be mandatory but sure makes life easier. 

• Like 2

It's useful, but I can sympathize with those who would rather not, both for technical reasons and just having to drag it around with you.  I had to join FB due to the pandemic, and even had to become an administrator of a page for work.  On Wednesday, I will gladly give up that mantle.  And I don't like to carry things. Going on vacation used to mean no watches or phones.  I'll still keep my iPhone in the safe as much as possible, but that's becoming harder and harder as, for example, I might need it for YTD.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, naxer said:

It's useful, but I can sympathize with those who would rather not, both for technical reasons and just having to drag it around with you.  I had to join FB due to the pandemic, and even had to become an administrator of a page for work.  On Wednesday, I will gladly give up that mantle.  And I don't like to carry things. Going on vacation used to mean no watches or phones.  I'll still keep my iPhone in the safe as much as possible, but that's becoming harder and harder as, for example, I might need it for YTD.  

My DH & I  normally cruise with princess. They require the medallian app for all their cruises so I'm fine with the hub. This carnival cruise will be with my sisters & they are not tech savvy. One of them says app conversations are like a foreign language to her.  😁 Does carnival have a wearable medallian or key card or can we choose? Thanks for any info & input.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1965 said:

My DH & I  normally cruise with princess. They require the medallian app for all their cruises so I'm fine with the hub. This carnival cruise will be with my sisters & they are not tech savvy. One of them says app conversations are like a foreign language to her.  😁 Does carnival have a wearable medallian or key card or can we choose? Thanks for any info & input.

Carnival does have a key card, but at this point, no medallion.  (In passing, I see Disney is promoting the phone app over their medallions now.  It looks like Carnival may just be skipping a step by not having medallions.). And yeah, it's learning the jargon that tires me out, and the constant need to upgrade and relearn.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Just be sure to put your phone on airplane mode,

or your roaming charges will break the bank.

Many thanks for that! Not the sort of thing one thinks of.

In the fullness of time,

phone manufacturers might label it Airplane/Ship Mode.

• Like 2

the was great in 2019 cruise with two older teenagers. we could use the chat features (no wifi needed ) and easier than post it notes on the door.  total cost to chat - 20 bucks. so worth it for family of 4. 

plus, now with e muster- it will handy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stellarose said:

the was great in 2019 cruise with two older teenagers. we could use the chat features (no wifi needed ) and easier than post it notes on the door.  total cost to chat - 20 bucks. so worth it for family of 4. 

plus, now with e muster- it will handy.

Agree, the chat was very cheap and allows you to text your party without using any of your WFI package data, which was really useful to us. We get both packages as my husband and teen cannot live without their connected devices, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, naxer said:

The HUB app is great when travelling with a group or family and you want to keep up with where folks are. Otherwise, you can keep your phone in the safe until needed. 

• Like 2

I read a post from Carnival re the new muster drill. It said we need to consult the hub app to learn the location of our muster station which we must visit at some point on day 1 prior to departure. If 3 people are sharing a cabin would only 1 of us (me) need the app for that? Thanks. 

41 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I read a post from Carnival re the new muster drill. It said we need to consult the hub app to learn the location of our muster station which we must visit at some point on day 1 prior to departure. If 3 people are sharing a cabin would only 1 of us (me) need the app for that? Thanks. 

Yes, that should be the case, but all of you will need to go to the muster station. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stellarose said:

if we already have the hub installed do we need to reinstall for all the updates?

Probably a good idea to do an update (you don't need to re-install) - unless you have auto-updated enabled on your device.  

We had our HUB App uninstalled because it was depressing to look at during the pandemic, but we installed it fresh recently!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Probably a good idea to do an update (you don't need to re-install) - unless you have auto-updated enabled on your device.  

We had our HUB App uninstalled because it was depressing to look at during the pandemic, but we installed it fresh recently!

You don't need to update or re-install it if you already have it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

You don't need to update or re-install it if you already have it. 

My HUB App says an update is available, so I am installing it now.  You should almost always install updates, otherwise new features may not be available, and old features might not work.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

My HUB App says an update is available, so I am installing it now.  You should almost always install updates, otherwise new features may not be available, and old features might not work.

My iphone must auto update, because when i go to the app store, it just says "open", plus when I run the app it always has the new features everyone is posting about. 

Plus, John Heald himself said you didn't need to.

Edited by Radiioman46

I had to uninstall and reinstall my HUB app just now - it was still showing info from a past cruise. 😞     Until you board the ship and switch to airplane mode, can't do much with the app.  At least that's what I remember and what it's doing right now.  It's just showing the countdown, and if I hit shore excursions, dining reservations, etc. it goes to the Carnival website. But seems like I've read that we'll now be able to fill out some of the paperwork a couple of weeks prior to cruise now using the app??  I'll miss having the paper copy of the Fun Times in my cabin when I return from dinner, but IMO this is probably permanent.  We'll see I guess.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:17 AM, mexicobob said:

On our last Carnival cruise, pre Covid, we used the HUB app and thought it was great. Many benefits. Not sure why one would not want to use it. 

In the future would bet the farm that all cruise lines will be using similar technology. May not be mandatory but sure makes life easier. 

A reason someone (like me) would not want to use it is that all I have is a flip phone - pay-as-you-go. I do not want to spend hundreds on a phone that I do not need and would not know how to use. 

• Like 1