Check-In Time Allocation ?

On our recent MSC cruise from Southampton we were given a 1 hour slot for check-in - you weren't allowed earlier or later (though the 2hr time it took for us to get through the various checks suggested many ignored their time)

We are due on a 4N with P&O at end of July.

Do P&O give you a time to check-in or is it a free for all and arrive when you like ?

Thanks

if you go on the P&O cruise FAQ'S page all the information is there .

Type in " What time can I check in and embark from "

https://www.pocruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.before-you-sail.What-time-can-I-check-in-and-embark-from.summary

You will be given a card with a letter from the alphabet and called forward when they

want to board you .

For the staycations they have been very clear.  You arrive for testing at the time printed on you boarding card.  
There have been a number of messages, emails politely reminding passengers that due to protocols you should arrive at your given time and not before.

for tomorrow our time is 12:30 at the drive through testing. We are planning to arrive for 12.10, that means all going well, we will have time to stop to pick up a coffee,  before arriving bang on time, but also mean if there is a bit of extra traffic we won’t be late.

hopefully everyone will adhere and it will run smoothly.

there seem to be time slots every 15 minutes starting from 11:30. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

https://www.pocruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.before-you-sail.What-time-can-I-check-in-and-embark-from.summary

You will be given a card with a letter from the alphabet and called forward when they

want to board you .

Although will all this change with the new CV19 testing  procedures ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

want to board you .

This isn’t the procedure for the staycations Kalos.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

This isn’t the procedure for the staycations Kalos.

Sorry I was answering on past experience but was showing that from what P&O 

have on the web site it is not a "Free for all " as asked in the question . I would be surprised 

if that was the case with any future cruises . The main thing is I hope it goes well for you

and cruising gets back to normal in the future . Have a great cruise :classic_smile:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

For the staycations they have been very clear.  You arrive for testing at the time printed on you boarding card.  
There have been a number of messages, emails politely reminding passengers that due to protocols you should arrive at your given time and not before.

for tomorrow our time is 12:30 at the drive through testing. We are planning to arrive for 12.10, that means all going well, we will have time to stop to pick up a coffee,  before arriving bang on time, but also mean if there is a bit of extra traffic we won’t be late.

hopefully everyone will adhere and it will run smoothly.

there seem to be time slots every 15 minutes starting from 11:30. 

Please let us know how that goes . Have a good time

• Like 1

According to my NHS lateral flow test destructions don't eat or drink anything for at least 30 minutes before the test so no quaffing a couple of pints of Doom Bar in the Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis or partaking of the fish and chips either 😟

• Like 2

What about those like me that are travelling down by coach?  Arrival time and check in is completely out of my hands. How do they allocate check in times if they dont know how you are travelling to the port?  Normally, when our coach arrives arrives a cruise rep gives everyone a card and you sit until called forward. Many people completely ignore check in times and arrive when it suits them, they like to get on board for their lunch.

If you’re on a coach, they know when to expect it and it overrides your embarkation time. Most coaches arrive between 1400 and 1500 so very few passengers are given this time to allow staff capacity to deal with coach passengers.

The time on your boarding card is now your arrival time at the terminal (for non coach/on site parking passengers) and time at drive through testing for those parking on site. It is not the time you should expect to be on ship.

Embarkation does now take 45 minutes including up to a 30 minute wait for your lateral flow test result.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

If you’re on a coach, they know when to expect it and it overrides your embarkation time. Most coaches arrive between 1400 and 1500 so very few passengers are given this time to allow staff capacity to deal with coach passengers.

The time on your boarding card is now your arrival time at the terminal (for non coach/on site parking passengers) and time at drive through testing for those parking on site. It is not the time you should expect to be on ship.

Embarkation does now take 45 minutes including up to a 30 minute wait for your lateral flow test result.

Handy to know

Disappointed with P&O. We are a small group of 4 and have received 2 different check in times. We have 11:30 but elderly parents who we think will struggle with all the new protocols have 14:30. We want to help them - do you think P&O will amend one of them. 

Just now, Stu UK said:

Disappointed with P&O. We are a small group of 4 and have received 2 different check in times. We have 11:30 but elderly parents who we think will struggle with all the new protocols have 14:30. We want to help them - do you think P&O will amend one of them. 

I'm sure they will try to help Stu, give them a call. 

Andy 

2 hours ago, Stu UK said:

Personally, I would turn up at 14:30. Better to be late than too early.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu UK said:

Did you make one booking if so it’s bad that they split you up.

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Did you make one booking if so it’s bad that they split you up.

In the past when my parents came with us, I would have linked bookings. But as my husband and I were a higher tier, we would have different check in times, so we always arrived for the later one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stu UK said:

Did you link your bookings?  If not, it might be a good idea to link them so that you can dine together etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

In the past when my parents came with us, I would have linked bookings. But as my husband and I were a higher tier, we would have different check in times, so we always arrived for the later one. 

So that’s why separate bookings unless you told them they would have no idea to link them, so actually not really p&o fault than.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

So that’s why separate bookings unless you told them they would have no idea to link them, so actually not really p&o fault than.

My bookings were always linked and they still had different check in times. Not really a problem as we always arrived for the later time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

My bookings were always linked and they still had different check in times. Not really a problem as we always arrived for the later time. 

I dont believe that linked bookings ever resulted in linked check in times. But they did ensure that dining arrangements were the same  and that any shore excursions were linked.

31 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I dont believe that linked bookings ever resulted in linked check in times. But they did ensure that dining arrangements were the same  and that any shore excursions were linked.

I agree. That’s always been the way with us anyway. On Princess, there was an even wider timespan between our check-in and my parents. We always travelled down together and went for the later time to avoid any hassle. 

On 6/28/2021 at 9:58 AM, Son of Anarchy said:

Did you link your bookings?  If not, it might be a good idea to link them so that you can dine together etc.

Booking were linked - im

guessing another IT issue. Travel agent on case. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just got our Check-In time.. 

3.45pm to 4.45pm !!!!! 

So we miss lunch and will probably have to run for the muster drill too. 

I guess one positive is that it cuts down our drink bill as we wont have a package for our 4N sailing. 

Think we're going to get an amazing view of the sailaway - as we'll be the ones releasing the mooring lines as we get aboard. 

Edited by Couple-Somerset
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Just got our Check-In time.. 

3.45pm to 4.45pm !!!!! 

So we miss lunch and will probably have to run for the muster drill too. 

I guess one positive is that it cuts down our drink bill as we wont have a package for our 4N sailing. 

Think we're going to get an amazing view of the sailaway - as we'll be the ones releasing the mooring lines as we get aboard. 

As I understand no muster drill with every one in the same place so you can’t miss it. As you board you go to your muster station and check in with the staff there. You then go to your cabin and watch the telly.

• Like 1