Cape Canaveral Car Rentals Closed

I just tried to rent a car at JAX to return at Cape Canaveral location through Enterprise/National and it won’t take the reservation - the location says temporarily closed on maps. I did an online chat and the person on the other end said they have no date for reopening that location. Ships are supposed to sail out of there by the end of August, I was trying to make a drop off reservation for mid November. And I have free rental days, of course. Does anyone have any information about reopening for car companies at the Port Canaveral area? I suppose companies that run shuttles from MCO will be my back up plan. 

Rental car businesses are ramping up and won't have vehicles to meet demand. Part of it is they dumped fleets at the beginning of covid. Now they are trying to build back up, but car prices are surging due to many factors. Our neighbor's son works for Enterprise. They have complained to corporate to stop renting vehicles. The system cannot manage inventory. They had 300 car rentals one day. They had about 30 cars available with about 80 coming in that day. First, no where near enough vehicles for rentals. Second, no one to process, clean, and inspect vehicles coming in. The next in line had an option of what car was there or leave. I want to hope it is isolated, but I am not risking it at all. We booked private RT transportation.

Many of the rental cars are sitting in storage lots beyond the standard rental sites. There's a huge Enterprise facility a few towns away from us and the lot is filled with cars they cannot rent - seems those computer "chips" all need to be replaced due to a safety recall. New vehicles are limited, too for similar reasons. A friend who works at that facility said they anticipate getting the chips by the end of the year and it will take time to change out the defective ones and re-certify the cars for use.  He said they normally delete cars at 30K miles but are now renting cars with over 45K miles.

Now that we are no longer in high production of masks in the USA, time to re-tool and make our own chips!

Darcy

4 hours ago, WatchHill said:

Now that we are no longer in high production of masks in the USA, time to re-tool and make our own chips!

Far easier said than done. I have a B-i-L who has built a number of wafer fab plants. Complex and expensive.

• Like 1

The suggestion to check / drop Merritt Island is a good one.

The absence of rental cars is getting a lot of press here in Florida. There's a belief that some cars have been shipped north, reducing availability in already squeezed inventory.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 12:36 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

Rental car businesses are ramping up and won't have vehicles to meet demand. Part of it is they dumped fleets at the beginning of covid. Now they are trying to build back up, but car prices are surging due to many factors. Our neighbor's son works for Enterprise. They have complained to corporate to stop renting vehicles. The system cannot manage inventory. They had 300 car rentals one day. They had about 30 cars available with about 80 coming in that day. First, no where near enough vehicles for rentals. Second, no one to process, clean, and inspect vehicles coming in. The next in line had an option of what car was there or leave. I want to hope it is isolated, but I am not risking it at all. We booked private RT transportation.

I  have been looking for a December rental, Orlando to the Port for weeks. Saw one for Merritt Island for 150 a day but comments about car shortage makes me hesitant and they do not have shuttle to port or that is what they said today. I think the uber estimate for Orlando to hotel in Cocoa Beach was about the same .What private transportation did you book?

• Like 1

I booked with Cruise Control Transportation. I don't know how big Corey's business is, but I think it is small comparatively. He is extremely prompt to responding to emails, chat on his site, and phone calls. Everyone, except one person on a shared shuttle, love his service. The one person on a shared shuttle had a flight delayed for about 2 hours. They expected everyone to wait around for them. That is the disadvantage of a shared shuttle and it is the risk you run. I paid a little extra for the private shuttle and think it is worth it.

1 minute ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I booked with Cruise Control Transportation. I don't know how big Corey's business is, but I think it is small comparatively. He is extremely prompt to responding to emails, chat on his site, and phone calls. Everyone, except one person on a shared shuttle, love his service. The one person on a shared shuttle had a flight delayed for about 2 hours. They expected everyone to wait around for them. That is the disadvantage of a shared shuttle and it is the risk you run. I paid a little extra for the private shuttle and think it is worth it.

thanks, I looked him up and it looks like $80.00 for 2 people. Less than renting a car but will lose the little bit of freedom one day and have to pay for shuttle from hotel. I think I made our return flight  at 5:55pm too late so will be sitting in airport several hours.. concerned about delays getting off ship plus earlier flights were almost as long, just spent time getting on and off in various other airports!

My return flight is at 6PM Sunday after Thanksgiving. Because you cannot check bags as early as I would be at the airport, they have luggage storage and will bring it to the airport at the 4-hour before flight mark. They are a little pricier than shared shuttles, but I don't have to deal with waiting for others, going to multiple terminals, and things like that. They were also the only ones willing to stop at a CVS or similar for free. All others were asking $25-$50 for a 10 minute stop. 

I asked a similar question a couple months back - and have been checking regularly to see if any of the agencies in port canaveral open up as cruising opens.  Just booked on Budget for before/after our January cruise - so far, they are the only ones open yet.

On 7/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

My return flight is at 6PM Sunday after Thanksgiving. Because you cannot check bags as early as I would be at the airport, they have luggage storage and will bring it to the airport at the 4-hour before flight mark. They are a little pricier than shared shuttles, but I don't have to deal with waiting for others, going to multiple terminals, and things like that. They were also the only ones willing to stop at a CVS or similar for free. All others were asking $25-$50 for a 10 minute stop. 

I am also looking to rent a car for my Thanksgiving week Harmony of the Seas cruise. I usually like to drop it off at the rental car place right next to the Royal Caribbean cruise terminal, but that also says closed.  That's a scary proposition that you might get to the counter at MCO and they won't have a rental car for you!  I might just book a private shuttle also.

On 7/9/2021 at 2:57 PM, Darkingnj said:

Appears they're starting to reopen again.  I was able to book with Avis a couple of weeks ago for my September cruise.

I believe Budget is also opening up for cruise season.