Jump to content

Using NCL Airfare Promotion


Recommended Posts

I've never used the airfare included with the cruise line promotions. I'm tempted to use it for a last minute cruise I booked for 7 night Epic 9/29 - 10/6 departing in Rome. We are flying from Detroit to Rome. I added deviation to go in 2 days early and stay 2 days at end. I normally like to have control of my flights but the price was 1K for both of us and if they cancel the cruise the airfare will be cancelled. I do have Delta points and Amex Platinum points that I could use for the airfare.
 
I was checking on my NCL account and they have routes updated as I've shown below but I'm sure this could change. I looked online at Delta, American and United. It's looks like flight to Rome is on United and flight back is on American.
 
Flight Date Gateway From Gateway To
09-26-2021 Detroit, MI (DTW) Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
09-26-2021 Philadelphia, PA (PHL) Rome, Italy (FCO)
10-08-2021 Rome, Italy (FCO) Munich, Germany (MUC)
10-08-2021 Munich, Germany (MUC) Toronto, Ontario (YYZ)
10-08-2021 Toronto, Ontario (YYZ) Detroit, MI (DTW)
 
Am I crazy to use their airfare? Appreciate your feedback.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, SO many threads on how this promotion works and pros/cons of it.  Are you crazy to use it?  That depends on how upset you'll be with a super early morning flight or a really late flight leaving after the cruise.  You could use your loyalty points to upgrade your seats from the economy cabin that NCL will book for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've used it before, their flight times are horrible. So now we always use a deviation to arrive a day early. I know they use AA and Delta, also at the cheapest price they can get them at. We have have AA for arrival and Delta for departure before. Just what they pick.

 

I'd use their airfare when going overseas, if any snags come up, they will get you there. You're own airfare will not. But again, that is just my opinion. You will hear plenty of opinions. So do what is best for you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

American flies nonstop from Philadelphia to Rome.  Are you sure your flight is on United?

 

No, I'm not sure.  I checked Delta, United and American and thought I only saw Philadelphia with United.  And I'm sure the routes shown in my account could change between now and when they confirm the airfare.  I hope it works out.  It just seemed like a good deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

We've used it before, their flight times are horrible. So now we always use a deviation to arrive a day early. I know they use AA and Delta, also at the cheapest price they can get them at. We have have AA for arrival and Delta for departure before. Just what they pick.

 

I'd use their airfare when going overseas, if any snags come up, they will get you there. You're own airfare will not. But again, that is just my opinion. You will hear plenty of opinions. So do what is best for you.

 

We got a 2 day deviation before & after.  I would of preferred to fly in 3-4 days before the sailing but they don't offer that.  I'm not sure how we'll like staying the 2 days after the cruise.  After the cruise I'm usually ready to head home.  But I wanted more time to explore Rome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also did the reduced airfare to Rome in October.  Aside from the great price, less than $1k for 2, I also figured if corona rears its ugly head again & cruises cease again, it would be easier than cancelling separately.  I can deal with strange flight times.  I think it’s probably the safer decision right now.
 

I am hoping to spend a couple of days in Rome before or after..but I have to wait until I see what time I can get off from work unfortunately.  I’m feeling a little intimidated with the planning of those days.  
 

Happy trip planning!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mommaof 3 said:

I am hoping to spend a couple of days in Rome before or after..but I have to wait until I see what time I can get off from work unfortunately.

You only have until the flights are ticketed to make that decision.  Actually, you may need to make the decision prior to final payment...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

We've used it before, their flight times are horrible. So now we always use a deviation to arrive a day early. I know they use AA and Delta, also at the cheapest price they can get them at. We have have AA for arrival and Delta for departure before. Just what they pick.

 

I'd use their airfare when going overseas, if any snags come up, they will get you there. You're own airfare will not. But again, that is just my opinion. You will hear plenty of opinions. So do what is best for you.

We had NCL air on a canceled cruise so no experience yet.  But now booked with air on a couple of cruises with 2nd person air perk.   Curious about your experience with the deviation option - in your experiences have they been the same say very early morning flights as they would have booked you on embarkation/debarkation days?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, snorklinbarb said:

We had NCL air on a canceled cruise so no experience yet.  But now booked with air on a couple of cruises with 2nd person air perk.   Curious about your experience with the deviation option - in your experiences have they been the same say very early morning flights as they would have booked you on embarkation/debarkation days?  

Following.  I'm booked for Rome in October.  It would be nice  to go in a couple of days earlier and didn't know I could do this, TBH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

Curious about your experience with the deviation option - in your experiences have they been the same say very early morning flights as they would have booked you on embarkation/debarkation days?  

I used the air promo for my October 2019 cruise, flying from Upstate, NY, to LA, I did do a one day deviation.  Had a 6 AM flight out, despite the deviation request, and was in LA by noon.  That did allow me to just relax around the hotel for that second half of the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

We had NCL air on a canceled cruise so no experience yet.  But now booked with air on a couple of cruises with 2nd person air perk.   Curious about your experience with the deviation option - in your experiences have they been the same say very early morning flights as they would have booked you on embarkation/debarkation days?  

Deviation flights the day before have been early

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

 

No, I'm not sure.  I checked Delta, United and American and thought I only saw Philadelphia with United.  And I'm sure the routes shown in my account could change between now and when they confirm the airfare.  I hope it works out.  It just seemed like a good deal.

PHL is one of the international hubs for American and does a lot of the Europe flights.

United has a small presence in PHL and beware...they will try to put you on a train from PHL to Newark which is there big HUB.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, hallux said:

You only have until the flights are ticketed to make that decision.  Actually, you may need to make the decision prior to final payment...

Thx for the info..I will know if I can get the weeks off for the cruise about 10 days before the final payment.  I can’t make any decisions til then..such a shame to go all the way to Rome and not see it tho 😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People are talking about a deviation?? Is this something you ask for? How does that work? We are flying to lax from Pittsburgh to leave from San Pedro. Would they fly us in day before? Never used their air before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 300dtc said:

People are talking about a deviation?? Is this something you ask for? How does that work? We are flying to lax from Pittsburgh to leave from San Pedro. Would they fly us in day before? Never used their air before. 

Yes. You can fly in the day before or even 2 days before, I believe.

I did it january 2020 into Miami and I'm doing it again january coming up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 300dtc said:

People are talking about a deviation?? Is this something you ask for? How does that work?

It's explained in the T&C of the promotion - https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

 

Deviation Requests:

  • Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation for guests 1 and 3-8 on the reservation. No other deviation requests will be permitted.
  • Date deviations can be added up to 75 days prior to embarkation; once flight is ticketed, date deviations can no longer be requested. The following ships/sailings have 60 days prior: Gem 8/9/21-10/17/21; Jade 7/20/21-11/7/21 and Joy 8/1/21-10/16/21.
  • Secondary land package must be selected.
  • Hotel add-on is not required for deviation request to apply.
  • Deviation credit is non-refundable and non-transferable.

@mommaof 3note that my post above was incorrect, you need to request the deviation no later than 75 days prior to sailing...

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2021 at 5:14 PM, taylortime05 said:
I've never used the airfare included with the cruise line promotions. I'm tempted to use it for a last minute cruise I booked for 7 night Epic 9/29 - 10/6 departing in Rome. We are flying from Detroit to Rome. I added deviation to go in 2 days early and stay 2 days at end. I normally like to have control of my flights but the price was 1K for both of us and if they cancel the cruise the airfare will be cancelled. I do have Delta points and Amex Platinum points that I could use for the airfare.
 
I was checking on my NCL account and they have routes updated as I've shown below but I'm sure this could change. I looked online at Delta, American and United. It's looks like flight to Rome is on United and flight back is on American.
 
Flight Date Gateway From Gateway To
09-26-2021 Detroit, MI (DTW) Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
09-26-2021 Philadelphia, PA (PHL) Rome, Italy (FCO)
10-08-2021 Rome, Italy (FCO) Munich, Germany (MUC)
10-08-2021 Munich, Germany (MUC) Toronto, Ontario (YYZ)
10-08-2021 Toronto, Ontario (YYZ) Detroit, MI (DTW)
 
Am I crazy to use their airfare? Appreciate your feedback.

We are booked on NCL Escape for next May out of Rome.(We have been cancelled twice so far for this cruise). We are still over 300 days out and our air says we fly on Lufthansa from Detroit to Germany, then to Rome. Return Air Canada from Rome- Montreal- Toronto - Detroit.  With Canada still closed due to Covid, we can't even fly into/ out of Canada yet. I think NCL just locks in flights early , but won't have them ticketed until 60 days out. Those flights they assigned us are much more expensive than several flights with only 1 stop each way.  So until you get the email from NCL that your ticketed, just watch your flights online because they are likely to change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 7:48 PM, Toledosfinest said:

We are booked on NCL Escape for next May out of Rome.(We have been cancelled twice so far for this cruise). We are still over 300 days out and our air says we fly on Lufthansa from Detroit to Germany, then to Rome. Return Air Canada from Rome- Montreal- Toronto - Detroit.  With Canada still closed due to Covid, we can't even fly into/ out of Canada yet. I think NCL just locks in flights early , but won't have them ticketed until 60 days out. Those flights they assigned us are much more expensive than several flights with only 1 stop each way.  So until you get the email from NCL that your ticketed, just watch your flights online because they are likely to change.

Can I ask where you are seeing your flights on the NCL website?  We just booked Rome next summer with the air promotion, and I can see the cruise information, but I don't know where to look to see the air portion?

 

Thank you for any help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, onivek said:

Can I ask where you are seeing your flights on the NCL website?  We just booked Rome next summer with the air promotion, and I can see the cruise information, but I don't know where to look to see the air portion?

 

Thank you for any help!

They show up under your reservation in summary. Just remember these are not final.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, hallux said:

It's explained in the T&C of the promotion - https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

 

Deviation Requests:

  • Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation for guests 1 and 3-8 on the reservation. No other deviation requests will be permitted.
  • Date deviations can be added up to 75 days prior to embarkation; once flight is ticketed, date deviations can no longer be requested. The following ships/sailings have 60 days prior: Gem 8/9/21-10/17/21; Jade 7/20/21-11/7/21 and Joy 8/1/21-10/16/21.
  • Secondary land package must be selected.
  • Hotel add-on is not required for deviation request to apply.
  • Deviation credit is non-refundable and non-transferable.

@mommaof 3note that my post above was incorrect, you need to request the deviation no later than 75 days prior to sailing...

 

A deviation works for us because ncl flights are notorious for long and late flights from Cleveland. Then they group you together to full a bus. Been there, done that. 

 

Just gives us that peace of mind to board early being platinum and no rushing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

They show up under your reservation in summary. Just remember these are not final.

Thank you.  The air portion isn't there, though it clearly shows on the confirmation I got from NCL.  I'm 355 days out, though, so maybe I just need to be patient?  I know they won't be final until the 60-45 day mark, but I am just curious to see what the flights *could* look like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, onivek said:

Thank you.  The air portion isn't there, though it clearly shows on the confirmation I got from NCL.  I'm 355 days out, though, so maybe I just need to be patient?  I know they won't be final until the 60-45 day mark, but I am just curious to see what the flights *could* look like.

I’m a little over 300 days out and nothing is on my summary either. I did read that due to cancellations and changes they are busy rebooking hundreds of flights. We’re probably at the end of a long line for booking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...