Internet on Adventure of the Seas

1 hour ago, Kokomo91165 said:

How has the internet been on Adventure of the Seas?  

In general, no worse than most ships. If you have used satellite wifi, sharing a connection with hundreds of your new best friends simultaneously, then you know what to expect. 

1) The first two cruises ran at around 25% max capacity. So, there were fewer people using the wifi. 

2) The Vloggers flocked to the first two cruises, so there was a lot of very large videos being uploaded, especially late at night. So the speed went way down. 

3) On the first cruise, there were a couple of outages lasting a few hours to around 10 hours. The Voom manager gave small refunds for the outages, if you asked. 

If you are just web surfing, the ship uses a cache server that will do intelligent pre-fetches of pages to give you a better perceived experience. If you are doing something serial (like uploading videos and pictures), then it will be slow. 

We made multiple wifi phone calls and facetime calls daily without any issues. 

• Like 1

I hope and pray there are no vloggers on my cruise.  I'm so perplexed by it. How the hell do you enjoy a vacation when your recording, playing the act, editing and uploading 24/7?

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moltar said:

I hope and pray there are no vloggers on my cruise.  I'm so perplexed by it. How the hell do you enjoy a vacation when your recording, playing the act, editing and uploading 24/7?

They probably derive income from their vlog which helps their enjoyment.  I don’t know all the financial ins & outs, but the trip may have been a “business expense” for some. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moltar said:

True. Just different times different ways of documenting it still find it a bit too much work for a vacation in my ipinion

As Libbismom says, it's not a vacation when it's your job.  Those of us who don't vlog for a living can just enjoy our cruises without the camera gear and editing software.   And then we benefit from those who do when we watch their well-produced You*Tube videos to plan our next cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

Just got off Adventure and my internet service was horrible.  One day had no service at all and others had selective site access.  Tried to access royalcaribbean.com for 4 days unsuccessfully.

You too?  I was on the June 19 cruise and the day of the outage the internet manager told me "it must be weather at the land station interfering with the signal to the satellites". I replied "for going on 6 hours straight?"  And I also could never log in to the Royal website.  It just constantly reloaded in an endless loop.  I remember saying "here I am on a Royal Caribbean ship trying to log into their website to buy stuff for my next cruise from them, and I can't do it."  I went to the computer room to try and got the same problems.  We got a day's refund for the internet charges.

On 6/27/2021 at 3:46 PM, Moltar said:

It is like the many people you see at concerts these days.

They stand there and hold there phone up the entire show recording it.

When you spend that much time working to show everyone you had fun.  

You probably really didn't..

People-at-Concert-Recording-With-Smartphones.jpg

Edited by matj2000
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am onboard now, and out of Nassau it was bad, today has been tolerable, but definitely not zoom capable. These are the tests today in Freeport.  I will try do do a morning and fa

Sunday Afternoon 2.png

Sunday Morning speedtest.png

Sunday Morning speedtest.png

It was the worse.  Some had service and some didn’t.  We were on the second and third cruise and my phone never worked.  I was told that my phone was not compatible.  Our friends sailing with us had the same phone but a earlier model.  Hers worked.  As soon as we hit the USA my phone worked.

5 hours ago, misguy said:

it was bad, today has been tolerable, but definitely not zoom capable

That second reading is normal for a non-O3B ship like Adventure and should be fine for any video collaboration app.

I also just returned from the third cruise. We all had the streaming which their "fastest" and it's the slowest I have ever had on a ship. I paid extra for the "faster" service and can't imagine how slow it would've been without it. Or if there would even be a difference...

40 minutes ago, sailor05 said:

I also just returned from the third cruise. We all had the streaming which their "fastest" and it's the slowest I have ever had on a ship. I paid extra for the "faster" service and can't imagine how slow it would've been without it. Or if there would even be a difference...

Did it at least “work” most days?

1 hour ago, sailor05 said:

"Streaming" doesn't necessarily mean "faster". It means that they open the ports that allow you to access streaming services.  

7 hours ago, Kokomo91165 said:

At those speeds would I be able to make a non-video call - just audio - for work?

Yes, you can even make audio calls with the lower tier Surf package - the numbers shown are for Strsam.

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

"Streaming" doesn't necessarily mean "faster". It means that they open the ports that allow you to access streaming services.  

To my knowledge there are no access restriction differences between the Surf and Stream tiers of VOOM. The only difference is the aprox 8x speed between them. While not great, you can even watch some low res Youtube videos on the Surf tier. Other streaming may also work in a very degraded way (due to the BW limit) on Surf.

Edited by Biker19

I was on the sailing on the 26th and those were the normal speeds posted above. We did have about 4 outages that week. 3 were during the day and the other was at 2 AM in the morning on 7/1. 

When in ports (Nassau, CocoCay, Freeport) I used my T-Mobile Hotspot for faster speeds (Bahamas=HSPA+ & Cozumel=LTE). If you cruise a lot and also work (during the day) while cruising the $50 for 15 GB for 30 days is worth it. I had it added to my 5G Inseego Hotspot and my S21 Ultra and will be adding it again probably every month now that ships are sailing again.

When I hop on Apex in Greece later this summer I won't even purchase the Wi-Fi since I am on vacation time that week and will be spending a majority of the time in ports where I can use my T-Mobile devices.

Tmobile Data Passes.PNG

Tmobile Data ad 06262021.PNG