The Daily for Sunday Jun 27, 2021

richwmn

Here's another trick for cooling effect. Place a big bowl of ice and water behind your fan and it will feel cooler. We actually bought an outdoor air cooler that comes with 2 big ice packs to boost the cooling effect.

Our old hometown of Coeur d'alene is having a full Ironman competition today and it's about 100..

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Greetings from a very hot Victoria!  I'm afraid I am going to be very bad-tempered over the next few days, as I get that way when it's too hot to sleep.  The ice maker has decided it's too hot, too, and is only making a few lumps at a time.  I took a glassful of ice to bed last night and spent a long time icing myself all over! But a very kindly DD brought her portable air conditioner up into the living room, and it is doing its best to try to cool things off.  Here in the kitchen it is "only" 84 degrees!  Pat has been warned that he will be barbecuing tonight.  I love onions, but they don't love me back, unless really well cooked.  I always ask for the HAL frizzled onions on a burger in the Dive In.

Love crab cakes, I always put Old Bay seasoning in them, though.  I play Bingo on the ships too.  I think I went to Plymouth as a child.  My mother occasionally said our English ancestors came over on the first ship, and I would say "But Mother, they all died!" and she would then say well, maybe it wasn't the first ship!  I heard that many times...

Church on line this morning.   Maybe I will do some watering before, though, everything is drooping.  I feel sorry for all the furry animals who have to endure this heat.  I think I will put out some extra water in the shade.

My recipe for crab cakes also uses Old Bay Seasoning, which gives them a tang.  DH really likes how spicey they turn out, but for me, I'd like just a tad less Old Bay.

Glad the portable a/c is helping.  Try to stay cool, and safe.

Lenda

• Like 11

To all the Dailyites living through this unprecedented heat wave, I hope you all are able to find some relieft from the heat.  Those of us in the sun belt are more used to triple digits, but it's still HOT!, humiidity only mkakes it worse.  It sounds like the precautions everyone is taking will help.  Just remember to drink plenty of water and stay safe.

@Seasick Sailor Joy's suggestion aboaut the ice and the fan will help too.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Enjoy your long overdue visit with your DD, and be thankful she got out of that hotel early.  The suggestion to go to the media is a good one; plus, I'd also talk to someone in the government who is handling the quartantine for travelers. They need to hear from people affected and made aware of how bad it is.  Sometimes, people need to be a squeaky wheel.

Lenda

• Like 18

I’ve FINALLY caught up with all the Dailys (since Thursday).  Whew! Happy birthday and anniversary to all I missed. Special prayers to Joe. 

I love bingo (playing right now 😉) but I had to put bingo tournaments on hold for a while… to many cruises booked. 😄

Keep cool everyone! 

• Like 11

Thanks to everyone who participates on this thread, prayers for those that need them, and cheers for those who are celebrating!

I got to meet my newest great-niece today (7 months old) and she's a real cutie! Her parents promised frequent visits, now that restrictions are lifting. Nothing like a sweet, happy baby to lift your spirits!!

• Like 20

Good afternoon!  My thoughts go out in PNW suffering from extreme (and Canadian neighbors)!  It has to be terrible when you aren't used to it, and the homes aren't equipped with air conditioning. At least here in Colorado we have a/c and are more used to higher temps!  Guess your heat will make It here next week, which isn't good for our fires, but you will have relief!

The port of the day is on the itinerary for my October, 2022 TA on the Rotterdam.  Obviously a different port than most have visited.  Will be interesting to visit.

I am another one who recommends the "squeaky wheel" approach to the awful hotel situation.  Didn't anyone inspect the hotel and set down some standards?!??!

Thanks to all who keep/make the lists, and find all the interesting recipes, wine description, and keep this such a friendly helpful place.

Have a good Sunday afternoon and evening!

• Like 18

What a day of bad luck for us!  First I lost my prescription sunglasses on Sunglass Day.  I can't find them in my purse or hotel room and tried looking through the car but haven't found them yet.  Will do a thorough search when we get home.

Secondly, DS was having some tire pressure monitor alerts going off in his Audi A7 this morning.  He added air and it kept alerting him.  On the drive to the soccer park he had to pull over on a 2 lane road 1/4 mile from the park entrance because something felt very wrong.  His tire was coming off the rim!  They are new tires which the Audi dealer installed on his fancy rims about 10 days ago.  Obviously something was not done properly.  DH stayed with the car so DS, DDIL and DGS could get to the game.  AAA was called and never showed up.  After about 2 hours we called Audi Assistance and they sent a mechanic over in 20 minutes to remove the damaged tire and rim and install the spare.  DH missed the entire game.  The two teams TOCA and Tigers were evenly matched and tied 1-1.  DGS scored the goal for the Tigers.  Since TOCA had a couple more points than the Tigers due to scoring margins over the last 2 days, TOCA goes on to Semi-finals and our Tigers are finished.  What a disappointment!  But we are proud of their hard work.  They are still champions in our eyes!

We will go home early now to Georgia, in the early morning hours.  DS and family have to stay overnight to get the car, tire and rim checked out in the morning at the Audi dealer here.  When safe, they can drive home to Michigan.  

And ironically, it never rained at the soccer park!  It must have skipped all around us but the sun was scorching hot and the humidity high.  Winds were warm to hot as well.  I stood under an umbrella just for the shade factor.  Funny how those meteorologists get things wrong 50% of the time and still keep their jobs.😏

Thanks to all for your support and cheers.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Here's another trick for cooling effect. Place a big bowl of ice and water behind your fan and it will feel cooler. We actually bought an outdoor air cooler that comes with 2 big ice packs to boost the cooling effect.

Our old hometown of Coeur d'alene is having a full Ironman competition today and it's about 100..

Behind or in front of the fan?  Google says in front of --  as long as the air behind the fan is warmer than the ice water in front of the fan (trust me it is!)  😅 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Like Kazu, love Onions in anything.  Always wear sun glasses and rarely play Bingo.  The Chesterton quote is very good.  Love the meal suggestion, will have to make sure I have all the ingredients.

Loved the sail away yesterday, hope the first of many.

Prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, continue to social distance, and wear your masks so we can board the BHB.

Today's drink requires ALOT of prep.

Earl Grey Caviar Martini:

Pour 0.1 oz of lemon juice, 0.1 oz of lime juice, and 0.7 oz of apple juice into a shaker
Add 0.5 oz of elderflower syrup, 0.3 oz of triple sec, and 1.5 oz of citrus vodka
Fill the shaker with ice cubes and shake gently
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass
Garnish with tea caviar and tea foam

Tea Caviar:
Antonio Lai’s recipe, good for 33 oz: place a package of Earl Grey tea in 40.5 oz of water and boil for 30 minutes. Then add 3.5 oz of sugar and 26.5 oz of algin. Cool and store in the refrigerator.

Tea Foam:
Antonio Lai’s recipe, good for 33 oz: place 0.7 oz of Earl Grey tea in 40.5 oz of water and boil for 30 minutes. Then add 3.5 oz of sugar and 0.4 oz of lecithin. Beat until foam forms.

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 7.37.49 AM.png

Yum.  If only someone would make me ☝️ 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

What a day of bad luck for us!  First I lost my prescription sunglasses on Sunglass Day.  I can't find them in my purse or hotel room and tried looking through the car but haven't found them yet.  Will do a thorough search when we get home.

Secondly, DS was having some tire pressure monitor alerts going off in his Audi A7 this morning.  He added air and it kept alerting him.  On the drive to the soccer park he had to pull over on a 2 lane road 1/4 mile from the park entrance because something felt very wrong.  His tire was coming off the rim!  They are new tires which the Audi dealer installed on his fancy rims about 10 days ago.  Obviously something was not done properly.  DH stayed with the car so DS, DDIL and DGS could get to the game.  AAA was called and never showed up.  After about 2 hours we called Audi Assistance and they sent a mechanic over in 20 minutes to remove the damaged tire and rim and install the spare.  DH missed the entire game.  The two teams TOCA and Tigers were evenly matched and tied 1-1.  DGS scored the goal for the Tigers.  Since TOCA had a couple more points than the Tigers due to scoring margins over the last 2 days, TOCA goes on to Semi-finals and our Tigers are finished.  What a disappointment!  But we are proud of their hard work.  They are still champions in our eyes!

We will go home early now to Georgia, in the early morning hours.  DS and family have to stay overnight to get the car, tire and rim checked out in the morning at the Audi dealer here.  When safe, they can drive home to Michigan.  

And ironically, it never rained at the soccer park!  It must have skipped all around us but the sun was scorching hot and the humidity high.  Winds were warm to hot as well.  I stood under an umbrella just for the shade factor.  Funny how those meteorologists get things wrong 50% of the time and still keep their jobs.😏

Sandi, sorry about the Tiger's loss,  but it sounds like your DGS had a good game.  Hope you find your sunglasses.

Sounds like it was a good thing your DS pulled over when he did, before things got worse.  It pays to double check work others do.  When we had the tires rotated on my car, years ago, they did not tighten the lug nuts on one wheel.  It was a good thing I noticed the very loose, wobbly wheel before DH left the dealership and got on the freeway.

Have a safe trip home.

Lenda 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yikes.  Hope the tide turns soon for you. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, atexsix said:

Ugh.  No offense to all you beach and desert people, you can have it!  I don't ever want to see the sun again.  I want our rainy damp cold misty wilting climate back.  It was 104 yesterday and we're bracing for 108 today and 113 tomorrow, give or take, the predictions keep changing slightly.  The store was crowded this morning because it was already 75, but I'm restocked on cold drinks and ice cream, they were out of popsicles, cleaned out, like the stores before a hurricane.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We have a portable window A/C coming, but I doubt very much it will get here before this ends.  We'll be ready if there's another...we have you beat, our upstairs yesterday was 89 degrees, only got down to 84 this morning.  And creeping back up, of course.  I did sleep ok, with 3 fans on me lol.  But it will be downstairs tonight and tomorrow at least!  Stay safe and hydrated 🙂  

5 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Currently it's 90 degrees here in Bremerton & it's 10:30 a.m. --- I'm trying to outrun the sun -- pulling down our Mylar shades, keeping the blinds & doors closed, the AC is running & later the ceiling fans will come on.....we definitely aren't used to this kind of heat!!!

My unit is on the 4th floor of a midrise condo here in Everett.  Overlooks a residential street with single-story dwellings.  So I get to sleep on an air mattress on my balcony!!  No one at street level can possibly see my balcony -- I know because I checked it on my daily walk. 

OTOH, I dunno about my flying buddies who may be on final approach to runway 16R at Paine Field.  I'll soon find out if they have anything to say about my choice of PJs 😉.

• Like 13
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, richwmn said:

At Sea Pacific

Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 6/27

Yet another dam ship in Pedro today: this time it's Westerdam under the command of one of my former bosses (Zuiderdam 2016), Captain Wouter van Hoogdalem. Yesterday, there were actually two HAL ships in port, Nieuw Amsterdam and, caddy corner from her, my old ship Zuiderdam 🙂 Nieuw A is back at sea now, while Zuidy is at the Long Beach inner breakwater anchorage

May be an image of outdoors

No photo description available.

May be an image of text that says 'WESTERDAM ROTTERDAM'

May be an image of nature

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yet another dam ship in Pedro today: this time it's Westerdam under the command of one of my former bosses (Zuiderdam 2016), Captain Wouter van Hoogdalem. Yesterday, there were actually two HAL ships in port, Nieuw Amsterdam and, caddy corner from her, my old ship Zuiderdam 🙂 Nieuw A is back at sea now, while Zuidy is at the Long Beach inner breakwater anchorage

No photo description available.

May be an image of text that says 'WESTERDAM ROTTERDAM'

May be an image of nature

Dang Jon did they have any “We are Hiring”signs hanging over the rails? 

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, aliaschief said:

I was surprised the Netherlands national colors at her stern were not at half mast after the Dutch national soccer team got kicked out of Euro 2020 today by the Czechs, of all teams 😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for all the daily reports, photos and humour.

We have been to Plymouth UK, land trips.

@Horizon chaser 1957 you will be so pleased that your daughter is home, but the appalling conditions at that hotel should be reported.

The number of Delta variant cases in Australia continues to rise, hope it stays on that side of the Tasman.

Today we have delivered "Meals on Wheels" to house bound folk, the rain and snow flurries stayed away while doing so.  A highway inland from us is closed due to snow. We have had a few brief snow showers so far today.  More expected.  Present temp is 4 C (2.30 pm).

Take care everyone.

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I was surprised the Netherlands national colors at her stern were not at half mast after the Dutch national soccer team got kicked out of Euro 2020 today by the Czechs, of all teams 😝

Aren’t you on the soccer  free trade list this year?😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the daily reports, photos and humour.

We have been to Plymouth UK, land trips.

@Horizon chaser 1957 you will be so pleased that your daughter is home, but the appalling conditions at that hotel should be reported.

The number of Delta variant cases in Australia continues to rise, hope it stays on that side of the Tasman.

Today we have delivered "Meals on Wheels" to house bound folk, the rain and snow flurries stayed away while doing so.  A highway inland from us is closed due to snow. We have had a few brief snow showers so far today.  More expected.  Present temp is 4 C (2.30 pm).

Take care everyone.

Kia ora, Phil! You and the Mrs. stay safe in beautiful Kiwi land 🙂

• Like 3

It truly has been hot in the Pacific Northwest. Yesterday I was working on the little railway in our town. We provide free train rides, 10AM-4PM, on weekends from May through October. The aluminum rails began expanding beyond what the expansion joints allowed and started lifting the tracks off of the ground a few places. We had to shut down for safety before the day was over. 

Great Northern & Cascade Railway (greatnortherncascaderailway.com)

Here is a picture from a couple years ago this time of year when we were having to put on a few layers of clothing to stay warm.

1697320210_greatnorthernandcascaderailway.jpg.4208ba9dd1a438a1ab8a9c1ba1cbe8f7.jpg

Every day this weekend we hit well above triple digits Fahrenheit. 

• Like 14

9 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I saw that - quite sad!

• Like 2