Jump to content

IT’S LIVE: RETURN TO CRUISING – JULY 3 - JULY 17 BAHAMA BACK-TO-BACK VOYAGES ON-BOARD CRYSTAL SERENITY


Keith1010
 Share

Recommended Posts

ALL WE WANNA DO IS CRUISE AND HAVE SOME FUN:

 

In March of 2020, we last sailed Serenity.  

 

When we left her, we were in Sydney.

 

We never expected waiting 16 months to take another cruise.

 

After our Endeavor, Symphony and Serenity cruise were cancelled, it was enough for one to consider turning to booze.

 

The question we kept confronting was do we sail now, wait, or go another day?

 

After careful thought we decided to go now since we believe the saying don’t put off until tomorrow those things you can do today.

 

It’s time.


We hope things will be fine.

 

We know flexibility will be key.


After all, our cruise is free.

 

LOL.  Well, not free, but we rolled over money from a cancelled cruise to pay for this one.

 

That was fun.


Why you ask?

 

Because no waiting for a refund and we didn’t have to hide our feelings behind a mask.

 

There are many things about the cruise to be excited about.

 

Although sometimes you want to let out a shout.

 

The airlines keep changing or cancelling the flight.

 

When they change the schedule, often the connection is too tight.

 

You worry will I pass the antigen test.

 

If we do, that will be best.

 

OK, enough with the rhymes.

 

This is the first Crystal cruise as they restart cruising, and some have called guests on the first voyage guinea pigs. While possibly right, I see being on the first cruise as an adventure.  We will undoubtedly face some unknowns and possibly unexpected twists and turns.  In fact, we have seen changes related to obtaining the Bahama Travel Visa and to Crystal Clean+ protocols such as to mask/social distancing protocols as well as testing, and the plan for embarkation including where to meet prior to embarkation.

 

Some say why would you sail the Bahamas this time of year when it will be hot and humid?  My answer is these are the cards we were dealt, and we will make the best of them.   Ironically, our only visit to Nassau was on the Big Red Boat in 1991 on our first family cruise and we also sailed in the Summer.  While the Big Red Boat is far from luxury we had a blast as we did sailing in June.

 

As former Captain Glen would say: “If you want to have a good time you will. If you, don’t you won’t.”  We are going on this cruise to have a great time.  All ports except Nassau will be new.

 

In spite of some health concerns for my wife, we can’t continue to stay home.  We have cruising in our blood.  Plus, I have run out of photos from previous cruises to post.  Just kidding.  LOL.

 

We arrive to Nassau a few days before the cruise begins.

 

I will do my best to post daily once our trip begins and will post before the start of our adventure.  

 

There are many guests booked who we have never sailed with including several from this board.  At the same time there are several guests who we know very well.  

 

I think the more who post about the cruise the merrier.  For anyone who does not wish to start their own thread you are most welcome to post here.

 

In our case we will do less activities than we normally would to be as careful as we can for my wife so the more posts from others the better plus everyone has different perspectives which is also terrific.   But just being on Serenity is all the fun we need.

 

Finally, I will also be doing a Blog and you can find it at:

 

https://www.followourtrips.com

 

Once there go to the top section and click on the tab on the navigation bar which says current blog.

 

To get into the spirit of the cruise some music please maestro.  

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJWmbLS2_ec

 

 

Keith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keith - I look forward to your blog and everyone else's comments on returning to the sea.

 

I looked at your blog the other day. I have a trip planned on the Mozart again and I coud notfind that trip report. Did it get moved? If you still have it, I would love to revisit it.

 

Have a great cruise!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keith, I have been following your responses carefully to all of my posts on these boards. I've been impressed by your thoughtfulness and in-depth responses. We sail on our first Crystal Cruise on the 28th of August and can't wait for the 60 days to fly-by. I will be following your upcoming adventure with GREAT Interest.

 

Have a wonderful cruise! I'm Jealous!

 

Jeff E (aka Majcigar)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, bitob said:

Love it

Are you also on the July 10 leg?

If so, it will be good to see you again!

Oops -- I just reread the title of the thread.  I will see you on the 10th.  Perhaps we will be neighbors again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning. Following your travel blog once again will suddenly make life seem normal.  How we have all waited for this day.  Along with others, we eagerly await your impressions of Serenity as she returns to cruising.  This is becoming very real.  Thank you in advance to you and everyone else who is devoting precious cruising time to stay connected with all of us at home glued to the laptop/iPad awaiting photos and comments.  Sending our best for a wonderful journey.  Enjoy every minute of being back on board your 'second home'.  Safe travels to all sailing on this first cruise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Coral said:

looked at your blog the other day. I have a trip planned on the Mozart again and I coud notfind that trip report. Did it get moved? If you still have it, I would love to revisit it.


when are you sailing on the Mozart?  We’re going next May…can’t wait to try her.

 

Nancy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nancygp said:


when are you sailing on the Mozart?  We’re going next May…can’t wait to try her.

 

Nancy

April - so sorry I will miss you! I will be getting off on my birthday. I am combining it with an ocean cruise and it took me awhile to figure out dates of 2 cruises and to be gone over my birthday. I promise to leave the ship in great condition for you!

 

I enjoyed the ship so much - I couldn't wait to return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

April - so sorry I will miss you! I will be getting off on my birthday. I am combining it with an ocean cruise and it took me awhile to figure out dates of 2 cruises and to be gone over my birthday. I promise to leave the ship in great condition for you!

 

I enjoyed the ship so much - I couldn't wait to return.


sounds wonderful!!!  Sorry we will miss each other.
 

Nancy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coral, thank you for your kind words. May I ask which April sailing you are on for Mozart.

 

StoryMag, I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

 

Roy, one thing for sure it wasn't January of 2021.  LOL from my earlier flub.  I've never seen a stop at Nassau but maybe someone will know.

 

bitob, it will be so nice to see you both again.  We so enjoyed getting to know you both on the Crystal Symphony 2018 sailing.  

 

islandchick, looking forward to meeting you.  If you think of questions while we are on the voyage before the 10th just post here and I'll try to answer them.

 

PaulMCI, yes What A Wonderful World.

 

Ashley, thank you so much.    Looking forward to seeing you both.

 

cruisr, this is so true.  I think there are many things we will all so very appreciate and not take for granted.  Who would have guessed so many plans would be turned upside down from one virus.  We must enjoy every minute.

 

krb1000, thank you so much. You are very kind.

 

Keith

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be so cool to read a blog from Keith from his perspective of a long-time Crystal cruiser and from SuitCaseBears for whom this will be a first time.

 

@Keith1010 wishing you guys a wonderful return to Serenity.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Coral, thank you for your kind words. May I ask which April sailing you are on for Mozart.

 

April 18th.

 

Though I think I ran into a snafu. I will be in Rome for 3 nights and then board a Princess ship to Barcelona at beginning of April. I will then fly to Vienna on the 16th, Easter is on the 17th and then board Mozart on the 18th. I am trying to figure out how to get my PCR/antigen test 14 days before I board. I am fully vaccinated and am glad that is a requirement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

April 18th.

 

Though I think I ran into a snafu. I will be in Rome for 3 nights and then board a Princess ship to Barcelona at beginning of April. I will then fly to Vienna on the 16th, Easter is on the 17th and then board Mozart on the 18th. I am trying to figure out how to get my PCR/antigen test 14 days before I board. I am fully vaccinated and am glad that is a requirement.

Wow.  Sounds wonderful all your plans.

 

I don't believe Crystal is requiring a test before you board Mozart.  As you noted, just that you are vaccinated.  Does Austria require a test?

 

Keith

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Wow.  Sounds wonderful all your plans.

 

I don't believe Crystal is requiring a test before you board Mozart.  As you noted, just that you are vaccinated.  Does Austria require a test?

 

Keith

Are you back on the Mozart next year?

 

This is what I am reading - I posted another question on this board:

 

https://www.crystalcruises.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/files/crystal-covid19-vaccine-requirements-faqs.pdf 

 

What will be accepted as proof of vaccination? When will I need to show proof of my vaccine and my negative COVID-19 test?

All guests will be required to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer) at least 14 days prior to boarding any Crystal ship. Verified documentation of vaccination and negative PCR and antigen tests will be required at the time of boarding and failure to provide this documentation will result in denial of boarding. Guests will be required to sign a form acknowledging these requirements before cruise tickets will be issued.

 

 

Will I still be required to receive a negative COVID-19 test if I am vaccinated?

Guests will undergo an antigen test the day of embarkation and must test negative prior to boarding the ship. 

 

I tried calling Crystal and they are closed today.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

Are you back on the Mozart next year?

 

This is what I am reading - I posted another question on this board:

 

https://www.crystalcruises.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/files/crystal-covid19-vaccine-requirements-faqs.pdf 

 

What will be accepted as proof of vaccination? When will I need to show proof of my vaccine and my negative COVID-19 test?

All guests will be required to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer) at least 14 days prior to boarding any Crystal ship. Verified documentation of vaccination and negative PCR and antigen tests will be required at the time of boarding and failure to provide this documentation will result in denial of boarding. Guests will be required to sign a form acknowledging these requirements before cruise tickets will be issued.

 

 

Will I still be required to receive a negative COVID-19 test if I am vaccinated?

Guests will undergo an antigen test the day of embarkation and must test negative prior to boarding the ship. 

 

I tried calling Crystal and they are closed today.

 

As it stands now you have to show proof of vaccination and you have to be vaccinated 14 days or more before embarking the ship.  Since you are already vaccinated you are fine.

 

When they say you have to take a  Covid test before embarking they are simply talking about the day of embarkation.  On the day of embarkation Crystal will give each guest an antigen test.  You must test negative to board. If you test positive you won't be allowed to board.  Again, it's a test given on the day of embarkation by Crystal and where they will do the test they will let you know.  My guess is it will likely be at some hotel but they would advise as the cruise nears.  So your travel plans would not interfere with the test.

 

The following is from the Crystal website under the Crystal Clean+ protocols and I took it from the River Cruise section.  With 10 months to go a lot could change.

 

Keith

 

  • Guests will undergo a COVID-19 test at the Check-in Center and must test negative prior to boarding the ship. There is no cost for the embarkation test for guests. Guests testing positive will not be able to board the ship and will be responsible for applicable costs related to denial of boarding
  • Visitors will not be allowed on board at any time during the voyage.  
  • Embarkation will only be permitted on Day 1 of the scheduled itinerary 
  • Embarkation will not begin until all guest suites and public areas have been disinfected
  • All guests will undergo temperature checks before boarding the ship
  • Luggage will be disinfected before it is brought aboard
  • Guests will complete health questionnaire at the Check-in Center
  • Guests who show signs of illness may be denied boarding
  • Additional measures and precautions may be required depending on ports of embarkation/disembarkation

 

Keith

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

 

As it stands now you have to show proof of vaccination and you have to be vaccinated 14 days or more before embarking the ship.  Since you are already vaccinated you are fine.

 

When they say you have to take a  Covid test before embarking they are simply talking about the day of embarkation.  On the day of embarkation Crystal will give each guest an antigen test.  You must test negative to board. If you test positive you won't be allowed to board.  Again, it's a test given on the day of embarkation by Crystal and where they will do the test they will let you know.  My guess is it will likely be at some hotel but they would advise as the cruise nears.  So your travel plans would not interfere with the test.

 

The following is from the Crystal website under the Crystal Clean+ protocols and I took it from the River Cruise section.  With 10 months to go a lot could change.

 

Keith

 

  • Guests will undergo a COVID-19 test at the Check-in Center and must test negative prior to boarding the ship. There is no cost for the embarkation test for guests. Guests testing positive will not be able to board the ship and will be responsible for applicable costs related to denial of boarding
  • Visitors will not be allowed on board at any time during the voyage.  
  • Embarkation will only be permitted on Day 1 of the scheduled itinerary 
  • Embarkation will not begin until all guest suites and public areas have been disinfected
  • All guests will undergo temperature checks before boarding the ship
  • Luggage will be disinfected before it is brought aboard
  • Guests will complete health questionnaire at the Check-in Center
  • Guests who show signs of illness may be denied boarding
  • Additional measures and precautions may be required depending on ports of embarkation/disembarkation

 

 

Keith

Got it - I was reading it that I also needed a negative antigen test 14 days before also. I re-read it and I think I just need to be vaccinated and then test negative the day of.. 

 

Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great post Keith. We certainly feel the same way and are looking forward to sailing once again and getting those sea legs back! Hopefully not floating around the Bahamas... looking forward to meeting you onboard. Safe travels to Nassau!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...