IT’S LIVE: RETURN TO CRUISING – JULY 3 - JULY 17 BAHAMA BACK-TO-BACK VOYAGES ON-BOARD CRYSTAL SERENITY

Keith1010

2 hours ago, ellbon said:

I really want to know how long Joel,staying on ship.he in the AVe and I hope to hear him in August as no Ana and Humberto.

Robin right now the entertainment programs go through August 21 and Joel Spire is listed for all of the August ones in the Avenue Saloon.

Keith

11 hours ago, Verokaren said:

I am petrified we will be the lone positive COVID test at the convention center, a recurring nightmare 😱😱😰. I wonder what the procedure would be after that…handcuffs? At any rate, we are locking it down a bit and taking precautions. 

I have this nightmare also. We had College World Series recently where I live and some baseball players who were vaccinated tested positive (some who were unvaccinated tested positive also). Thankfully those who were vaccinated don't seem to have any symptoms but still tested positive. 

• Like 1

Keith, I am very happy that you will be on the July 10 voyage - I hope our paths cross onboard  so I can thank you in person for your help and insight! 

If possible, would you please post some info about the Baha Mar Convention Center - specifically, after Covid testing, will we be confined to a specific area, or will we be able to wander the resort, in search of food?  My travel schedule on Saturday might not allow me to buy a breakfast or lunch along the way, and with a 3pm boarding time, I might get a bit hangry by dinner time.  I’m thinking about brownbagging some food (would not be the first time!) but prefer not to do it.

Thanks in advance - safe travels!

Liz

4 hours ago, Coral said:

I have this nightmare also. We had College World Series recently where I live and some baseball players who were vaccinated tested positive (some who were unvaccinated tested positive also). Thankfully those who were vaccinated don't seem to have any symptoms but still tested positive. 

We have the same thing.  We both had it and we both have the vaccine but don't trust the rapid tests. 

3 hours ago, Liz said:

Keith, I am very happy that you will be on the July 10 voyage - I hope our paths cross onboard  so I can thank you in person for your help and insight! 

If possible, would you please post some info about the Baha Mar Convention Center - specifically, after Covid testing, will we be confined to a specific area, or will we be able to wander the resort, in search of food?  My travel schedule on Saturday might not allow me to buy a breakfast or lunch along the way, and with a 3pm boarding time, I might get a bit hangry by dinner time.  I’m thinking about brownbagging some food (would not be the first time!) but prefer not to do it.

Thanks in advance - safe travels!

Liz

Liz, thank you for the good wishes.  I will be sure to let you know what I observe and experience at the Convention Center.

Keith

• Like 1

We received an update from Crystal Cruises which is a revision to the itinerary for both back to back cruises and also applies to all of the Bahama voyages.

In short, due to concerns with tender operations in Cat Island and a distance requirement which might limit the number of guests who can get to the island Cat Island has been dropped from the itinerary.  An overnight has been added for Bimini with an early departure the following day making day three a sea day and departure from Long Island has been extended by two hours.  The new itinerary is as follows for our back to back cruises.

Keith

ARRIVE      DEPART

September 18  Embark                          NASSAU (EMBARK)
September 19  8:00 AM                         BIMINI
September 20  6:00 AM                         SEA DAY
September 21  7:00 AM     7:00 PM     GREAT EXUMA
September 22  7:00 AM     7:00 PM     SAN SALVADOR
September 23  7:00 AM     7:00 PM     LONG ISLAND
September 24                                         CRUISING
September 25  6:00 AM     7:00 PM     NASSAU
September 26  8:00 AM                        BIMINI
September 27  6:00 AM                        SEA DAY
September 28  7:00 AM     7:00 PM    GREAT EXUMA
September 29  7:00 AM     7:00 PM    SAN SALVADOR
September 30  7:00 AM     7:00 PM    LONG ISLAND
October 1                                              CRUISING
October 2        6:00 AM                        NASSAU (DEPART)

Wishing you a great cruise and i hope a lot of the friendly team and crew is back as well 

If the flights were not so expensive and complicated , I also was on the Serenity

however that is lasting for months now  IF ... IF ....IF  

... if Crystal doe not cancel my first C is the Ravel 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, vistaman said:

Wishing you a great cruise and i hope a lot of the friendly team and crew is back as well 

If the flights were not so expensive and complicated , I also was on the Serenity

however that is lasting for months now  IF ... IF ....IF  

... if Crystal doe not cancel my first C is the Ravel 

Thank you so much for the good wishes.

Looks like many of the wonderful crew is back so that is great news.  

Often the challenge with cruising is the flights whether the cost or challenge of finding flights which do not complicate the journey too much.  

Hoping your river cruise on Ravel happens.

Keith

We are on our way.   

Over the course of the last week we have gotten numerous e-mails to arrive two hours or more early for domestic flights and three for international flights.  So we got here three hours early.  Check in at the airplane counter was crowded but very few people on line for priority check in.  

A few days ago got an e-mail followed by another one to use an app to speed up the check in process by providing a bunch of information up front including front of vaccine cards and thee Bahama Health Travel Visa.   When we checked in the person asked for some of the information and I said I had placed it on the App.  Once the information was uploaded and approved each of our photos showed a green circle around it.  All I had to do was open the app and show her my photo followed by Anne Marie's. It indeed sped uptake check in.

The regular TSA line was fairly long but the one for Pree-TSA Check had just a couple of people in front of us and that was quick.  

The good news is we are all checked in and in the terminal and it was so fast we have another two hours to go for our first flight.  

This is our first time at an airport since we arrived home mid March of last year.  Everyone per the requirement is wearing a mask.  However, I did smile for the photo as you can see.  LOL.

IMG_0206.thumb.jpeg.be5f1a3272231e042ab63db315ada2d8.jpeg

This will be along day between the two flights and a several hour wait between flights.  This has not dimmed our excitement to start another new adventure together.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 13

To all on this first journey please post what type of products are in the bathroom for use. We are staying on deck 8 in a veranda cabin. Sorry to be a pest the wife keeps asking me what Crystal uses in the cabin 

Thank you in advance 

JD

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

This has not dimmed our excitement to start another new adventure together.

Cheers,

Keith

This is a true statement. Even though there has been much back and forth on the boards these past months with issues concerning the shore-side of the company, all of that will be forgotten once we set foot up the gangway of the ship and become re-Crystalized.

Thanks, Keith, for reminding me that this is the start of another new adventure.  See you onboard!!!!

1 hour ago, Jdfireman said:

To all on this first journey please post what type of products are in the bathroom for use. We are staying on deck 8 in a veranda cabin. Sorry to be a pest the wife keeps asking me what Crystal uses in the cabin 

Thank you in advance 

JD

JD will do and if any of us forget including myself just remind us this Sunday or Monday.

Keith

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Hearing that you, Keith and Anne Marie, have started the trip has put a smile on my face.  It is happening NOW

Thank you Jonathan.  We are at the hub airport waiting for the first flight.  I was thinking on the first flight how we had gone 16 months not having traveled or taken a flight.  I thought back to my working days when I would be on a flight almost every week and then when I retired traveling for pleasure a few times a year.

It was nice to get back into thee saddle. 

Keith

1 hour ago, njguy_south said:

This is a true statement. Even though there has been much back and forth on the boards these past months with issues concerning the shore-side of the company, all of that will be forgotten once we set foot up the gangway of the ship and become re-Crystalized.

Thanks, Keith, for reminding me that this is the start of another new adventure.  See you onboard!!!!

Very well said.  I truly look forward to meeting you and the others from CC on board.  This cruise will be a bit different for us with my wife's situation where we won't be around as often as we would want but I hope we meet you and everyone else.  

Safe travels to you.

Keith

5 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

JD will do and if any of us forget including myself just remind us this Sunday or Monday.

Keith

Keith, Have you completed you first flight?

First flight was short and that is the way I like it since it was supposed to be short.  

About 25 minutes into the flight pilot says flight attendants please prepare for landing and it wasn't too long until we did land.

Some observations.

At our airport and the hub airport long lines for takeout food.  

At the club lounge no menus so I a thinking they aren't serving food but I could be wrong.  We passed one place where I spotted items out of the corner of my eye that looked appealing and we got on one and ate here.  We are totally off schedule as we had a light breakfast at o dark hour.  I am an early riser so no big deal but I normally would never eat anything at that hour.  

About a week ago our son told me the airport and aircraft would be as it was pre-covid.  In my mind I thought they were doing extra cleaning but he was right.  As best I know the first aircraft began with our flight and the seats seemed dirty.  We use wet-wipes so cleaned them along with the other items.  

This is the first time we have eaten out since last March.  We have eaten at home the entire time and our own cooking other than getting delivery three or four times.  

Our incoming flight was delayed twice and thankfully they have substituted aircraft.  We still have three hours till we board.

Love the airline app as I have in the past. Saw that luggage was loaded on the flight.  Yes.  Saw that it came off the flight.  Yes.  

Let me add we are just happy to be hear so my observations are not to complain.  Although we never would have expected one virus to cause such upheaval there was a time last Fall where I would never have guessed we would be traveling now.

One additional observation.  We had a nice young man of 31 who took us to the airport.   He has been driving for 11 years.  He is now back in college.  When he was young he was an art major but now he is political science and pre-law.  Anyway, he is just getting by financially.  He said while a lot of attention was on certain industries which got hit hard such as restaurants he noted that there was a span of a few months where he had no work as no one wanted or desired to use private car services yet his industry didn't really make the radar screen.  

More later.

Keith

11 minutes ago, majcigar said:

Keith, Have you completed you first flight?

Yes first flight is complete.  We're still in our home state but at the hub airport.  We fly direct to Nassau from here but we have close to three hours till we board.  

Originally, I had planned we would fly up here last evening and stay at the airport hotel and take the first direct flight of the day to Nassau.  However,  at the time when Nassau required the PCR COVID test and that could not be taken more than five days before arrival I switched to flying the same day as I was concerned getting the test results and then thee visa approved so we went with this.  Little did I know they changed this to not needing to take thee PCR test if you are vaccinated.

Keith

42 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Thank you again.  What hotel are you staying at.  Wish you a smooth and good flight 

40 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

At the club lounge no menus so I a thinking they aren't serving food but I could be wrong.  We passed one place where I spotted items out of the corner of my eye that looked appealing and we got on one and ate here.  We are totally off schedule as we had a light breakfast at o dark hour.  I am an early riser so no big deal but I normally would never eat anything at that hour.  

Some of the Club lounges in the hub airports and focus cities are doing food for purchase again, IIRC, but they're doing it by barcode tent cards or menus by request at the bar instead of by placing the menus around the lounge like they used to.  I haven't been through that specific hub since the change though, but given the volume I would suspect that might be one of the first to get food for purchase back.

I don't usually buy food in the lounge, but in cases where the concessions I like on the concourse are a circus or inaccessible, I have found it handy.

Vince

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdfireman said:

Thank you in advance 

JD

I'm curious to hear this too...  They were beginning the transition to Caudalie as Covid shut things down, and I'm curious to hear the feedback (or even if that happens at all now).

Crystal also has long tried to eliminate single-use plastics except in cases where passengers really pitch a fit and demand them, and toiletries had long been one of those exceptions for that reason.  The new amenities were supposed to be presented in Motel 6-style bulk dispensers in the cabins to support that initiative, but we'll see if they've pulled the trigger on that one too.

Vince

Jdfireman, Your are very welcome, and  I'll provide details on the hotel later or tomorrow for sure.  

Vince+1.  I walked over to the bar area and saw one menu with some items you could order.  They have reduced the choices from what it used to be so I am glad we picked up food to bring over here.  My son's company had been the vendor for these clubs up until around 18 months ago.  I think one of the best this airline had was at the International terminal at LAX.  

At our originating airport lots of announcement on make and same on the flight.  I am not sure if they are doing announcement at the hub airport in the terminal but not in this lounge.  

When you go through TSA security as one would expect for a couple of seconds you show your face.  

When you have't done something for awhile you appreciate it even more.  After going through TSA Pre Check I was reminded that this was so much like the old days.  Even before 9/11 there were certain airports we had to turn on computers such as at Washington Dulles.  It is a pleasure to not have to take computer(s) out, 3-2-1 bag and strip half naked (well I am exaggerating) but sometimes removing my belt could be dangerous (LOL) and then removing shoes.  Seems you end up with a zillion tote boxes.   

On a related note Anne Marie and I had to renew our Global Entry.  We weren't lucky enough to avoid the interview, but we were lucky enough to do them virtually via zoom.  Anne Marie was asked about five questions and on my I just reaffirmed his reciting of some of my information and Anne Marie's interview was less than 10 minutes and mine a few minutes.  One of the things for the better resulting from Covid-19 are things like virtual interviews and virtual reviews with certain physicians to go over test results and certainly saves on time and drives.

Keith

• Like 2