Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

53 minutes ago, Slowriderhd said:

Just a quick note here that may or may not help a few, but it did for me. I experienced all the same issues that many of you have had with the app. I am using a Motorola Moto X4. Most of you know by now that you can go to the PlayStore and update the software if there is one available. Here is my recommendations, and again "Your mileage may vary"

- Be sure you have updated your phone's operating system to the latest firmware/software version. Usually you can google search how to do this for your particular phone but it is usually via the settings app and in that find either an update link or for some you have to hit the "about" or "device" and should see an update link. Once done, restart your phone.

- Next, Go to your settings app and delete any Old and unused programs. Some of us have apps that we may have not used in a year. Do yourself a favor and ditch the unused apps to free system storage and reduce memory usage. You can always reinstall it later if you want it again. Then restart the phone again (so the phone consolidates the storage and memory automatically).

- If you have a lot of documents or photos on your phone, consider using Google Drive, or Micorsoft One Drive to offload the photos and documents without losing them. You can still access them but via the "Cloud". Obviously keep those that you may like to see all the time, but move the rest off-phone. Then restart your phone again.

- Go to the Google PlayStore and check for updates for your remaining programs and update those apps if any updates are available! Once complete, yep, you guessed it, restart the phone.

NOTE: The above is a great idea to do before taking a cruise or travelling. It is not as aggressive as Factory resetting your phone and freshens up everything. My wife found her phone battery to last longer and apps run a small bit faster. All the old bloat will slow down your phone and eat up memory and storage resources.

- FINALLY, here is the tough one. Open the Medallion app, then tap on your picture and log out of the app (Make sure you already know your login name and password first). Then, on most phones running Android, you can push and hold over an app's icon and an App Info option will appear. You can tap the info option to get into that apps information screen. What I did with the Medallion App was do this and when in the Info screeen you have two option buttons, Uninstall (don't do this unless you are going to delete the entire app and reinstall it), and Force Stop. You want to tap the Force Stop button to force the phone to quit the app. Even though you logged out, there are processes running in the background and this stops them. Then, you can tap on the storage section. You will then be presented with 2 options which is Clear Cache and Clear Storage.

Clearing the Cache will just clean up the temporary files (saved words, etc) but doesn't get rid of your login and hard files. You can clear the Cache, then back out to the main menu and restart the phone and try the app and see if it helped. If not, then you can repeat the above to clear the cache, AND this time you can also Clear Storage. That will not remove the program, but will basically reset it to the same way it was the first time you downloaded it. Do both of those and back out to the main menu and restart your phone. Once done, you will need to open the Medallion App and enter your log in information and everything "should" repopulate. It has on my wife's and my phone.

This will not break anything, though it may not help the app but if there is an error in your phone with the app this will clear it. For my phone it allowed me to enter "some" of the information I was missing, for my wife there were no issues but her app runs faster. If this does not allow you to input all the information that is available to enter for now, then it is not your phone but an issue in the app. I had this also, (emergency city and some other items it would not let me enter) and calling Princess number and speaking with them resulted in them adding the missing information.

For what it's worth, the Princess CSR stated that my app was the most completed she had encountered yet and that the remaining items missing were ones only she could fix.

I do make the disclaimer that if you do the above, you do so at your own risk. Not that anything should break, but I don't want a fellow cruiser getting ticked off at me because they simply didn't understand and buggered their phone. The process is very simple to do and if you dig enough on the internet, you will find my procedures are basic maintenance. Alternatively, you can print this out and take it to your local cell provider store and ask them to do it.

Cheers!

First off - I appreciate your advice and thorough instructions!

I just have to ask - how many of the apps on our phone are this much work?  No way it should be a passenger’s responsibility to go through this process!  Luckily, I am not having major issues with the app.  If only I could choose an arrival group but our cruise isn’t until October 6th so I need to be patient 😁

• Like 2

I am sure that not everyone's phone needs this entire process but the things mentioned there are good general advice if you are having problems with any app. If you are not actually having problems I suggest you work on the basis of - it is ain't broke, don't fix it - and leave well alone 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Does anyone know how I can rotate my security and profile photos... they have uploaded on their side. I rotated them with a photo editor and re-uploaded but again, they have gone in on their side.

4 hours ago, clueless2 said:

I have the same problem. 

I'd try and get this fixed or you will end up in the dreaded Red Lane.  That means you have to go through check-in and on/off the ship in every port leaning over at the waist to a roughly 90 degree angle so security can verify you.

• Haha 4

I just downloaded the MedallionApp to my Samsung Tab A.  I have had success entering  several items so far.  I am now editing my profile to correct a telephone number.  I then scrolled down to the "Save" button, but it is gray and won't let me save my changes.  Does anyone know how to obtain an active "Save" button?  I haven't been able to find any solutions in this thread.  Thank you.

I finally got my profile to Save by redoing much of the information.  I am aware of need to input the phone country code, but I discovered that when I clicked +1, then typed my phone number, and went back to the country code, the code was different than the +1 I had clicked.  After many tries, it finally worked and remained +1.  Same glitches for my husband's profile.  Now it won't let me add an emergency contact.  All of the information is gray and I can't type it in.  This is frustrating.

53 minutes ago, Twiga said:

I finally got my profile to Save by redoing much of the information.  I am aware of need to input the phone country code, but I discovered that when I clicked +1, then typed my phone number, and went back to the country code, the code was different than the +1 I had clicked.  After many tries, it finally worked and remained +1.  Same glitches for my husband's profile.  Now it won't let me add an emergency contact.  All of the information is gray and I can't type it in.  This is frustrating.

I had similar experience, for example to change Mobile Number I had to click on Mobile and then scroll to choose Mobile. App is not smart enough to know the existing number is already 'Mobile'

2 hours ago, Twiga said:

If they know you are in USA/Canada by address, the +1 is not necessary.  I just went into My Account in MC App and played with the phone number.  There was a "1" there (no "+") and I deleted the 1 and saved the 10-digit number NP.  I did not change Phone Type.  I then went back in and changed "HOME" to "MOBILE" and that saved as well.  

Since I cannot replicate, I can suggest entering something in each field on the screen in order to get the SAVE button to activate.  Even if you tap each field and delete the last letter and then re-type it - just to trigger a change in that field.  Does that help?

Since you just downloaded, you should have the current version.  IDK what a Samsung "Tab A" is.  Is it a fully-compatible device for MC Aapp?

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I had similar experience, for example to change Mobile Number I had to click on Mobile and then scroll to choose Mobile. App is not smart enough to know the existing number is already 'Mobile'

FWIW, I couldn't replicate this.

7 hours ago, Twiga said:

I just downloaded the MedallionApp to my Samsung Tab A.  I have had success entering  several items so far.  I am now editing my profile to correct a telephone number.  I then scrolled down to the "Save" button, but it is gray and won't let me save my changes.  Does anyone know how to obtain an active "Save" button?  I haven't been able to find any solutions in this thread.  Thank you.

Samsung Tab A... Check your version of the Android OS. I know my Samsung tablet can't be upgraded to the current version and actually can't be upgraded past.... I think it turned out to be Android 7. Nope, won't work. A Samsung Tab A may also be lacking in the hardware department as far as running the app. Stupid and sad but possibly true. The folks who coded this thing apparently had the attitude that, if it isn't "new" it isn't "cool" so we won't bother to support it. This is typical of younger coders.

If you are lucky and your Tab A can actually support the app in both the hardware and software departments you may still find you have many issues. The coders seem to, at least so far, be pretty prejudiced toward iOS. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully things will work out for you but don't hold your breath at the moment. Unless you cruise very soon it's not worth getting upset about. (Okay, it actually is because this is a POS app and they are treating Android folks as second classs citizens but...) Just hang in there (like the rest of us Android users) and hope things change for the better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Twiga said:

I've had the same problem for a while & have given up on solving it.

11 hours ago, Twiga said:

Just got a new Samsung phone and has the latest Android version but have struck similar problems.

When I got to the part about the mail address for the Medallion I was given the option of ship to address or Pick up at Port. We are in Australia so sending to address is not a real option. The Pick up at Port option has the words "not available" next to it. So I couldn't progress for that bit.

I also can't do my Arrival Group or finish my Health stuff but I gather that is due to the fact that our cruise is a while off yet. 

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I've had the same problem for a while & have given up on solving it.

This happened to me a couple of times, as discussed above, I was able to get SAVE by changing several items. Even things that were correct like tapping on State to get the scroll box and pick my sate.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions.  My Samsung Tab A is an Android tablet.  I wanted to try using it as the screen is much larger than the phone.  I thought I'd see if it worked before downloading the app to my phone.  The +1 for the area code was on a drop down list.  The +1 never appeared on my screen after it was selected, but I'd see glimpses of +27 when I tried to verify that the correct code was entered. I don't know why +27 appeared.  As Tedferg said, it seemed the help when I made changes to items already entered and using the drop down options.  My cruise is in a few months, so I have plenty of time to get everything entered.  I was interested in trying to book dining reservations now, which it is allowing me to do.

16 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

How do you take a screen shot on an iPad. I would like to show the list of items in my Personal Info and ask about omissions.

Press the home button (round one on face of ipad) and the button on the top or side of the ipad (depending on how you’re holding it) at the same time…quickly release. 

8 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Press the home button (round one on face of iPad) and the button on the top or side of the iPad (depending on how you’re holding it) at the same time…quickly release. 

Thanks - never would have thought of that !

Posted (edited)

Above is my Personal Info. Same for two cruises. Is yours different to this?

our second cruise used to ask for Emergency Return Airport but is the same as above now. 

Edited by Tedferg

8 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Above is my Personal Info. Same for two cruises. Is yours different to this?

our second cruise used to ask for Emergency Return Airport but is the same as above now. 

We had ours green checked but called Princess CSR about the Emergency city. The CSR said we also had an issue with our Medallion Pay and reentered our information. We are all green except the health which cannot be done until 72 hours before departure.

2 minutes ago, Slowriderhd said:

We had ours green checked but called Princess CSR about the Emergency city. The CSR said we also had an issue with our Medallion Pay and reentered our information. We are all green except the health which cannot be done until 72 hours before departure.

Does you show more items than I do?

2 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Does you show more items than I do?

We have two lines; Emergency Return Airport, and Travel Information inbetween the Emergency Contact and Celebrations lines. We have version 3.0.92725 which Google PlayStore shows as the latest version of the App

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slowriderhd said:

You can do the Health Status anytime if available in your App.  You just have to re-certify within 72 hrs.  I wanted to check it out and see what was asked and if it was working okay.  We show Green for Step 5 for some time now.  I imagine that would change if we did not re-certify.

9 minutes ago, Slowriderhd said:

We have two lines; Emergency Return Airport, and Travel Information inbetween the Emergency Contact and Celebrations lines. We have version 3.0.92725 which Google PlayStore shows as the latest version of the App

Same here.  Also, the last line is labelled "Celebrations", not "Celebrating a milestone?".