Worth it to sail on first cruise back at sea?

Posted (edited)

I’m considering Mariner of the Seas first cruise back to sea as the week suits our family. I’m reluctant to sail on the first cruise back for that ship though. What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

Edited by CruiseFamily18

• CruiseFamily18 changed the title to Worth it to sail on first cruise back at sea?

"Worth it" is a totally personal definition only you can make.

Without knowing when that first sailing will be, hard to answer the question. If it were the FIRST RCL ship to sail, I would have some concerns as to procedures and lack of new experience hindering things. But if it was ship sailing later in the re-start process, I would feel more comfortable, as the bugs would probably be better worked out.

Vert few are going to be able to give you a fact based answer, because so few ships have resumed sailing yet.

• Like 1

Not for me. They have had so many ‘first weeks back’ that still ended up getting cancelled. Hopefully it will go but maybe it won’t. There will be bugs to work out. If I needed to travel that week I would either choose a ship that is already cruising or a non-cruise vacation,

Posted (edited)

Love the old Mariner, having spend a couple months aboard, but who knows what it will be like after re-start?  And you could probably expect some degree of disarray for a first sailing. We don't want to be guinea pigs, medically or otherwise. We've enjoyed our 70+ cruises, but the new "product" may not be nearly the same. We just booked out first post-pandemic cruise, but it's not until Xmas 2022 and New Year's 2023. There's so many pieces to the puzzle, we're just waiting to see how things play out.

Good luck.

Edited by latserrof

Posted (edited)

We had received a free balcony offer to sail yesterday's Celebrity departure, but couldn't take advantage of it due to post surgery recovery.  I would have booked in a second if it were possible.  Now all I can do is read 1st hand accounts of how the sailing is going.

Edited by evandbob

Posted (edited)

No interest whatsoever.   Our approach would be (and is) to wait and see what the experiences on those on board for the first few trips is.

But...we feel exactly the same about inaugural cruises and a first cruse post drydock.  No interest whatsoever.

Edited by iancal

My main concern is the shipboard policies surrounding COVID.  Other than that I would expect a lot of "stumbles" during the first few cruises before crews all start to gel,  and just be prepared to go along with them.  

The first of any type of cruise is usually not worth it. Such as when a new ship sails. People want to be the first so they can brag about it. Then lose their minds when it gets delayed or a team of 2k crew members aren't flawlessly aligned yet.

I'm SUPER glad cruising is back. I will not be on the first cruises. I would love to be, but there is too much panic. I'll let the kinks get worked out, then I'll be back!

2 hours ago, iancal said:

No interest whatsoever.   Our approach would be (and is) to wait and see what the experiences on those on board for the first few trips is.

But...we feel exactly the same about inaugural cruises and a first cruse post drydock.  No interest whatsoever.

We have had 7 cancellations, last one this coming August. Gave up and waiting hopefully for normality this December, our next booked cruise. In its place we are going to vacation in Colorado this July. 

A better informative answer to the OP's question may be able to be made once Celebrity Edge's first cruise is completed.  If Celebrity's procedures/policies work as intended and there are no issues--related to the virus-- the parent Company will certainly take note of that and will use these "apparently best practices" on the Royal Caribbean ships.  A video was posted by a guest as the ship was sailing from Port Everglades.  It was taken on The Magic Carpet with guests and many men wearing suit coats were socializing.  My assumption is those gentlemen were RCI executives.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ldubs said:

My main concern is the shipboard policies surrounding COVID.

Yes, this as well as what will not be open in the ports visited (I am interested only in European cruises) and cancellations, particularly on Danube/Rhine/Douro river cruises and Baltic cruises. Things are far too fluid right now for me to consider a cruise. 

Edited by dogs4fun

I would not cruise on the "first week back" or any ship.  Why?  I see it similar to a maiden voyage (which I avoid like the plague).  A crew usually needs time to come together and learn how to function as a real team.  It usually takes a few weeks (or even months) until a new crew hits their stride and is able to provide a high quality experience.  Add to this the additional COVID-related protocols and we would prefer to wait a few weeks.

Hank

Posted (edited)

If it was a low level cruise line, sure, I'd wait for them to work out any issues and get accustomed to new COVID procedures.

But this sailing was a fairly "new" Celebrity ship with Captain Kate at the helm and I fully trust her ability to have her crew prepared.

I remember the leadership and communication skills she exhibited when an independent excursion bus went off the road in Tortola with Summit passengers on board. She's simply the best Captain I've evr sailed and chatted with in over 50 cruises..

Edited by evandbob

The selfish will stay away from the first cruises,  as their concerns are all about themselves and their comfort and enjoyment, while the rest will be generous pathfinders who don't mind taking one for the team.

21 minutes ago, vintagegarage said:

The selfish will stay away from the first cruises,  as their concerns are all about themselves and their comfort and enjoyment, while the rest will be generous pathfinders who don't mind taking one for the team.

Really?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

A crew usually needs time to come together and learn how to function as a real team.  It usually takes a few weeks (or even months) until a new crew hits their stride and is able to provide a high quality experience. 

While I generally agree with this, the reviews I've been hearing about the voyages over the past month have praised the crew even more than they've been praised before.  There just might be something about being on a (relatively) big ship with (most) big ship amenities with a (relatively) small passenger count and a tiny passenger-crew ratio that brings out the best in service.  I'm hoping I'll see some of this on my next two cruises in August and September.

Which brings me to my answer to the OP's question.  I normally don't ever consider the first voyage of any cruise ship of any kind, for several reasons that have mostly been mentioned here.  The two cruises I have chosen for myself are, respectively, the fifth and the fourth scheduled after their projected restarts.  I think/hope that will be enough to get the initial kinks out and knock the remaining "rust" off the crew - and I'm hoping that capacity remains relatively low.

13 hours ago, vintagegarage said:

Are you kidding?

What people cruise to “take one for the team” — rather than experiencing the “comfort and enjoyment” of a cruise?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vintagegarage said:

I hope you're kidding.

On 6/27/2021 at 10:25 AM, CruiseFamily18 said:

I’m considering Mariner of the Seas first cruise back to sea as the week suits our family. I’m reluctant to sail on the first cruise back for that ship though. What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

As much as I desire to go on a cruise I personally will not go until the summer of 2023.

18 hours ago, evandbob said:

If it was a low level cruise line, sure, I'd wait for them to work out any issues and get accustomed to new COVID procedures.

But this sailing was a fairly "new" Celebrity ship with Captain Kate at the helm and I fully trust her ability to have her crew prepared.

I remember the leadership and communication skills she exhibited when an independent excursion bus went off the road in Tortola with Summit passengers on board. She's simply the best Captain I've evr sailed and chatted with in over 50 cruises..

While she may be a very competent captain and I am not suggesting otherwise, she is still working for a cruise company that may care more about the bottom line than the health of their customers and may not have the ability to run a healthy ship.  Also, the line may be too willing to care to the political needs of the governor of Florida.   

DON

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vintagegarage said:

I don't even understand what Vantagegarage means by this post.

DON

17 hours ago, vintagegarage said:

LOL.

I'd call those 'generous pathfinders' by another name..

...  Guinea pigs  😉

I'm not sure that I would be in a hurry to book a "first cruise back" for many of the reasons already stated, but by the luck of the draw our Legend sailing in November will be that ship's first sailing. We'll see how it goes.