Worth it to sail on first cruise back at sea?

19 hours ago, evandbob said:

If it was a low level cruise line, sure, I'd wait for them to work out any issues and get accustomed to new COVID procedures.

But this sailing was a fairly "new" Celebrity ship with Captain Kate at the helm and I fully trust her ability to have her crew prepared.

I remember the leadership and communication skills she exhibited when an independent excursion bus went off the road in Tortola with Summit passengers on board. She's simply the best Captain I've evr sailed and chatted with in over 50 cruises..

Without knowing Capt. McCue, I do know shipboard and cruise line organization, and the best possible leader and administrator can still fail due to insufficient time to get training done, and the fact that not all of her subordinates are her choice, and she does not necessarily have the option or time to change out shipboard management to meet her requirements.

• Like 1

As we have already seen, the Celebrity Millennium had two passengers test positive, and the way they handled it was brilliant.  I would like to see more examples of this and how the different cruise lines handle it.  I would also love to see how those out of Florida are dealing with any issues, as some will be unvaccinated.  For me, I am not waiting until next year and am traveling this fall.  However, my ship will have already had 6 voyages before mine, all to the same ports, and I am quite sure the crew will be back in the groove and will have worked out the kinks.  

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, SelectSys said:

To me the answer is no.  I am beginning to think that I might have been too hasty in booking something at the end of next March.

I uncovered the crystal ball.  The prediction is that your March cruise will be wonderful.   There could be a slight amount of bias in the prediction on account we are booked for April (Med).   

Of course, fully refundable or no booking.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 2

Reading the Carnival and Celebrity boards about the ships starting back, lots of people seem to think it is time!  Many forget that lots of people never missed a day of work and that some schools never closed.  They dealt with the pandemic before there was a vaccine and are ready to travel.

Hoping for all the best!

On 6/27/2021 at 10:25 AM, CruiseFamily18 said:

I’m considering Mariner of the Seas first cruise back to sea as the week suits our family. I’m reluctant to sail on the first cruise back for that ship though. What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

If you decide to go be prepared for the service not being anywhere near what you would previously have expected.  

I sailed on the first cruise after a major drydock.  While crew members were on board during the refit they were three weeks off their normal service routine.   The first night I didn't have bathroom towels until after dinner.   Two dining rooms were re-configured so even those experienced with the old setup had to adjust.  A lot of refit jobs were still ongoing. 

Now imagine how shabby these ships have become with only a minimal caretaker crew on board.

If you are asking now you probably are hesitating about being the proverbial guinea pig.  You have to weigh the cost vs. diminished expectations.   Will you still be able to enjoy the cruise?

I haven't read about any problems on the growing number of ships sailing from the UK, in fact everyone I read about on social media and elsewhere are full of praise for the staff and the cleanliness of the ships. The latest ship arriving in Southampton is Anthem OTS, due out later this week.

I think that the small numbers being allowed on board will have helped; the numbers are to be increased shortly.

• Thanks 1