Expanded Holland America in San Diego

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

For sure, I will do that.  Hopefully it’s straight forward.  I get turned around easily.  It does sound pretty straight forward.   I think Ralph’s sounds the best for one stop shopping.  

It is - Ralphs is owned by Kroger as I recall.  Much better wine selection for sure - be sure to go downstairs!

\

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you so much.  Now if I can figure out which way is north and SE.  I’ve gotten lost a lot in San Diego 😛

I use my phone GPS to avoid getting lost while walking.  I can usually tell after a few steps whether I am going in the correct direction.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

@CATandSQUID I am staying at the westin at 400 west Broadway before my cruise.  I’m wondering if there is a drug store close.  I’m looking to pick up a few things pre cruise. There used to be a cvs (I think) very close at the shopping “complex” for lack of a better word next door.  I can’t remember the name.  I understand that has been knocked down.  Thank you for your help.

There is also a large CVS on the corner of 5th and C. It's .5 miles from your hotel

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

It is - Ralphs is owned by Kroger as I recall.  Much better wine selection for sure - be sure to go downstairs!

\

There is no downstairs at Ralphs - other than a parking lot.

8 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you so much.  Now if I can figure out which way is north and SE.  I’ve gotten lost a lot in San Diego 😛

When you face north, the bay/harbor is on your left.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Of course, deciding to get on a plane for any distance during these trying days is a point to ponder.  But to me the itinerary is solid for the West Coast.

I appreciate your post.  Flying the distance--with the cost--for such a sole cruise experience is something that I am not going to consider.  Combining it with another travel adventure, yes, quite possibly.  

A few years ago, I planned such a trip.  Amtrak to San Diego; Zuiderdam to Vancouver; transfer to Seattle and Amtrak to Chicago.  Part of this was because friends were sailing on the Zuiderdam; one celebrating a significant birthday when I was to deliver a gift from her family.  A few days before departure, I experienced an injury that my doctor recommended that I cancel the trip, which I did.  

For me to fly to the West Coast for a short cruise itinerary, some type of scenario like this would have to exist

3 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

There is no downstairs at Ralphs - other than a parking lot.

I stand corrected!  I guess I just saw the downstairs and assumed it was part of the store.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate your post.  Flying the distance--with the cost--for such a sole cruise experience is something that I am not going to consider.  Combining it with another travel adventure, yes, quite possibly.  

A few years ago, I planned such a trip.  Amtrak to San Diego; Zuiderdam to Vancouver; transfer to Seattle and Amtrak to Chicago.  Part of this was because friends were sailing on the Zuiderdam; one celebrating a significant birthday when I was to deliver a gift from her family.  A few days before departure, I experienced an injury that my doctor recommended that I cancel the trip, which I did.  

For me to fly to the West Coast for a short cruise itinerary, some type of scenario like this would have to exist

Makes perfect sense.  Definitely things have to fit together in an appealing way.  Thanks for the thoughtful response.  

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 4:37 PM, AKJonesy said:

I'm thinking of taking about 4 days in San Diego before heading up Seattle for our cruise in September.  So, this would be mid-September.  I will not book a rental car and plan to book a hotel then get around on public transportation.  I would like to see the zoo, USS Midway, hit some good restaurants and anything else that might be interesting.  This is going to be a last minute situation, and would like to put it out there for any comments.  I guess what I am trying to do is extend the vacation a little bit now that cruises are only 7 days and we usually only go for a minimum of 14 days.  We've done everything in Seattle, so we are not really interested in heading there any earlier than necessary.  Any comments on a must do's etc.?

Highly recommend Little Italy. We stayed at at hotel in the area. They have a block long plaza only open to street traffic, and on Saturdays they have a great Farmer's Market.  We really enjoyed ourselves there.

L.

4.1.jpg

20200307_112501.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, Little Italy is a very nice place to visit and even better to dine!  We like Filippi's, located in the back of a small deli by the Welcome to Little Italy sign that hangs over the street.  Its on the side of the street furthest from the water.  Try the pizza - the best!

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are planning a 2022 cruise, departing from San Diego, in January.  All of our previous cruises have departed from Port Everglades in Florida.  Generally, we have found the embarkation process to be quite efficient and with little stress.  (The exception being the traffic congestion when 6 or 7 cruise ships are in port.)  Here's the question, "What comparisons can you make between the San Diego cruise port and Port Everglades?" 

46 minutes ago, highscar said:

DAVE OKC:  love that Italian restaurant.    Biggest burger I’ve ever seen.   So much food. 

I have not tried the burger, but the "house special" pizza is fantastic and WAY more than the two of us could eat (take the rest back to the hotel for a late night snack!).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, leerathje said:

Highly recommend Little Italy. We stayed at at hotel in the area. They have a block long plaza only open to street traffic, and on Saturdays they have a great Farmer's Market.  We really enjoyed ourselves there.

L.

Thanks so much for this info and photos. We’ll be arriving Friday and have Saturday free before embarkation Sunday on our HAL Hawaii cruise. That looks like a fun thing to do. 

• Like 1

I love San Diego and my favourite thing to do is the HOHO bus, on and off wherever you want, so many fantastic places to visit, and yet not so big that you get lost.  I found a drug store (sorry don't recall which one it was) just walking away from the water, up a bit of a slope,  saw Embassy Suites on the right, and soon came upon the drug store.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GlennG said:

We are planning a 2022 cruise, departing from San Diego, in January.  All of our previous cruises have departed from Port Everglades in Florida.  Generally, we have found the embarkation process to be quite efficient and with little stress.  (The exception being the traffic congestion when 6 or 7 cruise ships are in port.)  Here's the question, "What comparisons can you make between the San Diego cruise port and Port Everglades?" 

San Diego has a single warehouse-like terminal building and I think only three berths.  It is right on a main street and there is no large port area.  The Security gate is about 20 feet from the terminal building.  Traffic is no issue.

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

San Diego has a single warehouse-like terminal building and I think only three berths.  It is right on a main street and there is no large port area.  The Security gate is about 20 feet from the terminal building.  Traffic is no issue.

Thank you, Crew News for the above information.  You have been very helpful.

18 minutes ago, GlennG said:

Thank you, Crew News for the above information.  You have been very helpful.

With very few HAL ships leaving San Diego, the terminal staff is not as experienced as in Port Everglades.  Unlike the HAL terminals in Fort Everglades where boarding starts at exactly 11:30 AM, the San Diego terminal can start anywhere from 11:30 AM - 12:30 but I think that is caused by port authorities, not HAL.

My experience is arriving too early, there is no waiting area except standing in the parking lot with your luggage.  Port Everglades starts accepting luggage around 9:00 AM.  When I sail from San Diego, I don't arrive at the terminal until 11:00 (10:15 AM at Port Everglades). 

Just to add my San Diego hotel recommendation, I always stay at the Ash street Best Western Plus that was completely remodeled in 2018.  They provide free shuttle transportation to/from area restaurants as well as to the cruise terminal (five blocks south and all down hill - skate board time).  In house restaurant (free breakfast buffet and Room Service dinner) and drug store across the street ,makes it my preferred place to stay.

57 minutes ago, Crew News said:

With very few HAL ships leaving San Diego, the terminal staff is not as experienced as in Port Everglades.  Unlike the HAL terminals in Fort Everglades where boarding starts at exactly 11:30 AM, the San Diego terminal can start anywhere from 11:30 AM - 12:30 but I think that is caused by port authorities, not HAL.

My experience is arriving too early, there is no waiting area except standing in the parking lot with your luggage.  Port Everglades starts accepting luggage around 9:00 AM.  When I sail from San Diego, I don't arrive at the terminal until 11:00 (10:15 AM at Port Everglades). 

Just to add my San Diego hotel recommendation, I always stay at the Ash street Best Western Plus that was completely remodeled in 2018.  They provide free shuttle transportation to/from area restaurants as well as to the cruise terminal (five blocks south and all down hill - skate board time).  In house restaurant (free breakfast buffet and Room Service dinner) and drug store across the street ,makes it my preferred place to stay.

Does it have an airport shuttle?  I know it is very close to Little Italy for dining!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Does it have an airport shuttle?  I know it is very close to Little Italy for dining!

No airport shuttle.  Taxi price was $15.  I think the restaurant is across the street from the pharmacy (good place for toiletries that you did not want to bring in luggage).

Edited by Crew News

6 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We are going to try again!🤞MS Nieuw Amsterdam Oct 5, 2021 Panama Canal 17 days from San Diego to Port Everglades. In need of a cruise!🛳

I will be aboard in December so looking forward to any comments you may have on the new changes.  Any word on passenger percentage?

On 6/28/2021 at 4:37 PM, AKJonesy said:

I'm thinking of taking about 4 days in San Diego before heading up Seattle for our cruise in September.  So, this would be mid-September.  I will not book a rental car and plan to book a hotel then get around on public transportation.  I would like to see the zoo, USS Midway, hit some good restaurants and anything else that might be interesting.  This is going to be a last minute situation, and would like to put it out there for any comments.  I guess what I am trying to do is extend the vacation a little bit now that cruises are only 7 days and we usually only go for a minimum of 14 days.  We've done everything in Seattle, so we are not really interested in heading there any earlier than necessary.  Any comments on a must do's etc.?

1st thing to do is ride the Old Town Trolley the entire circuit including La Jolla . It is a narrated tour that will show you where all (or at least nearly all) of the interesting San Diego area sights are. You can then plan your visit to the various locations. The San Diego Zoo is worth an all day visit and if you like Museums the zoo is located in Balboa Park which has many very interesting museums.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I will be aboard in December so looking forward to any comments you may have on the new changes.  Any word on passenger percentage?

On our checklist to ask our PCC next call. Haven’t been on a Signature Class in quite awhile. Got the corner SB starboard.

Seeing the ship starts in Vancouver per the San Diego article I’m thinking pretty close to capacity.

Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Seeing the ship starts in Vancouver per the San Diego article I’m thinking pretty close to capacity.

How can the sailing start in Vancouver? Canada is currently closed until Feb 2022.

And not sure you can sail SD-FLL, until the CDC releases the limit on cruises no more than 8 days in length. I think that is supposed to happen Oct 13, right?