Celebrity with a teenager

Hi - 

I haven’t been on a celebrity cruise in 20 years we have been on Norwegian and Royal Caribbean the last few years - we cruise with our son and he will be 13 on our next cruise so first time in the teen category. How is Celebrity with a teen ? I know the ships don’t have the rope courses - slides - cars etc that the other lines do but is there enough to keep the kids happy ? 

Tell us about your son. My son at 13 loved to just hang and read and enjoy the sites. Maybe spend some time with others in the teen club. If that is what your son is like, it will be fine.

26 minutes ago, Smileonboard said:

Hi - 

I haven’t been on a celebrity cruise in 20 years we have been on Norwegian and Royal Caribbean the last few years - we cruise with our son and he will be 13 on our next cruise so first time in the teen category. How is Celebrity with a teen ? I know the ships don’t have the rope courses - slides - cars etc that the other lines do but is there enough to keep the kids happy ? 

Totally depends on your sons likes/dislikes.  My kids were always happy when we travelled as long as there was a pool, they would spend hours.  What time of year and where are you going, if outside pool is closed, he is to young to use the solarium.  I've talked to folks on board with teens and some said their kids loved hanging out in the teens club, others said not so much.  Good luck with your decision.

Following. On the Edge at the end of July w/ a 14yo and 5yo. We have only sailed HAL in the past and they have always had a great time. Hopeful Celeb will scratch their itch as well.

He likes to hang with other kids - likes video games - enjoys wandering the ships and loves music and shows. Swimming will keep him happy for a short time but definitely not hours - he does a lot of swimming at home - It would be the summer when kids are out of school - 

My daughters are 11 and 13 and will be on the Apex next April. They too have been on Royal, MSC, Carnival and  NCL and have done cruises up to 15 days with them. They are great girls. We have explained to them what to expect on Celebrity versus the other lines. As long as they have a pool, great food, some entertainment, WiFi, and some cool shore excursions that's all they require. No reason to think your son won't have fun if you plan accordingly. For those saying "unsuitable", that's nonsense, 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Smileonboard said:

He likes to hang with other kids - likes video games - enjoys wandering the ships and loves music and shows. Swimming will keep him happy for a short time but definitely not hours - he does a lot of swimming at home - It would be the summer when kids are out of school - 

Then I bet he will enjoy a Celebrity cruise.  When my kids were his age, they would have.  My son especially could make friends anywhere and he always did.  Eden has an interesting show, I think a kid that age would especially enjoy it, very "unique".  Also in the summer, you will very likely have more kids his age on board.  I say go for it!!!

Edited by LGW59

We have done several with our son.  We depart on Saturday, and I am sure do to the vaccination requirements and lower capacity there will not be many his age.  He will be 14 in a few months, and he loves just hanging out with others, playing some video games, and the other activities they give them (scavenger hunt, etc).  He has been on Carnival, MSC, Holland America, and Celebrity, and he liked the Celebrity the best, however that is probably more resent bias, but we gave him the choice and he picked Celebrity.

My 14 year old has been on 11 (8 on Disney) cruises since December, 2017 when I brought three youngest kids on a cruise to see if they liked it. Silly me. That first cruise was right after Thanksgiving on RCCL. I think that there were 14 kids on board. Nonetheless they all loved cruising.

Cruising has brought her out of her shell. She used to be so shy (if she could fold herself up in half and disappear she would have.) We are cruising in a week and we discussed bringing her along. So I totally get what you are asking. We opted to not bring her along on Celebrity. This is a Caribbean cruise and we are still working our way through new norm and she has been to the Caribbean several times.

My original plan would have been to take them on the Millenium to Alaska in August. But I just couldn't get a third person booked in a cabin even though she is fully vaccinated. 

So for me, itinerary would override fewer kids on board. We were on Norwegian for a Med cruise and I don't even think that there were even 14 kids on board. But they didn't care. We were there for the itinerary. We've taken them on Panama Canal, Westbound Transatlantic as well (though those were on DCL so there were kids there just not 2000.)

I can't wait to take my kids back out into the world. 

My eldest son has been in the Teen Club 4 times now and has had an absolute blast every time.  The kids have a fair amount of freedom and are always about the ship doing things or hanging out in the teen lounge. I would say he will have a good time.  He is now in that 18 to 20 age, so did not take him on our last cruise to Hawaii, but he turns 21 in a few months and is ready to rejoin the family on the next 2 cruises we have booked.  I wouldn't worry too much about cruising during school times, there are always a few teens on board.  As my son says, hey dad I'm always up for a cruise

16 hours ago, Smileonboard said:

Hi - 

When and where are you cruising and what ship?  The answer to your question somewhat depends on this.  If you go on a longer itinerary in normal school weeks, then there will be very few kids on board. Probably just much younger ones.  Many more kids of all ages on 7-day itineraries in vacation periods.  But still not anywhere near as many kids as RC or Norwegian.  My answer really applies to normal times in the past.  If you cruise soon in our pandemic times it is not clear how many unvaccinated kids will be on board.  No problem if your 12-13 YO is vaccinated.  But if not vaccinated and leaving out of FL then there is the 5% unvaccinated limit that you might run into for your cruise.

I will say this.

Our 3 kids have cruised since they were 5-10 (depending on the kid) & have cruised DCL, RCCL, Princess & Celebrity.

They say all were great. 

BUT our youngest was 14 when we sailed the Constellation. It was a Spring Break cruise with a lot of college students. I do remember he felt "bored" on that cruise. He wasn't clicking with kids in the teen club (I'm not sure there were many) & his siblings 16 & 19. They did run around together and with us. In his mid NOW it was still a fun time...but I recall his teenage angst!

But all 3 of my kids would say any cruise, any time, at any age!

My DS is now 21 but since starting cruising aged 10, he has sailed NCL, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. By far, his favourite line is Celebrity. 

We have been fortunate to travel around the world by land and sea since our 30s when our DS was a toddler. We both travelled internationally for our jobs and saw no reason to travel differently on family holidays just because we had a small child. 

We were introduced to Celebrity when touring the Boeing factory in Seattle after completing a 2013 Alaska cruise on Royal when we met a couple on the tour with their grandson. The boys hit it off and the couple spoke highly of sailing Celebrity with their grandson who was the same age as our DS. They were going to Alaska from Seattle with him a few days later after we met. We followed up on their suggestion and cruised on Eclipse to Russia and the Baltics in 2015 along with MiL and niece. We all loved it. Our last Celebrity cruise was 2018 on Silhouette to Iceland and last Royal cruise was 2019. Our 2020 and 2021 cruises on Equinox were cancelled because of the pandemic.  We have a 2022 cruise on Royal.

DS found the Celebrity teen club well organised and 6 years after our first Celebrity sailing, DS is still friends with several other teens he met sailing and has visited them at their homes and regular long telephone calls. DS hosted a movie night in our cabin for a few friends and they ordered room service and had a great time.

If I had relied on this board we may have skipped Celebrity but after meeting that delightful couple, we are so glad we listened to them. Give Celebrity a try.