Jump to content

How would you handle this with Celebrity Air?


DrKoob
 Share

Recommended Posts

We are scheduled to go to Quito, Ecuador next Saturday from Miami for the first post-pandemic Flora cruise. We booked our air with Celebrity Air and they put us on an American Airlines flight from Miami to Quito. One problem we had was that our seats weren't together but they told us if we waited until a week before the flight (or so) we could probably change. So I went to do it today only to find that our flight has been cancelled by American. 

 

Ok, so I get that. They are cancelling flights. So I call Celebrity Air (American won't deal with us because we didn't buy the tickets) and after waiting on hold for an hour the woman comes back and tells me that, "There are no other flights on American Airlines and since you bought a non-refundable ticket, you will need to buy your own air to get to Quito." 

 

So I tell her that American Air cancelled this flight therefore we should be getting a full refund and they can take that and buy a ticket elsewhere. Her answer was still, "You will need to find your own way to Quito and we have asked American to refund your ticket but it won't be decided if that will happen for 10 days." Of course the cruise leaves a week from today so that makes little sense. 

 

Anyone ever have this happen before? The ironic thing is as I am on hold (for about an hour) their hold message keeps playing that they will take care of you if you book your air with Celebrity. If you are cancelled, they will get your there. 

 

Lastly, did I mention that if I had not gone to the American site to check seats, we would not have been told until we went to check in the night before the flight? Any help would be appreciated.

 

Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does not sound right to me.  The person on the phone is likely reading from a script and I'd see if you can talk to a manager. If I had had a TA help (even with Celebrity Air) I would have that person advocate for you.  Elliott Advocacy is a website that can advocate for you, as well.  

 

I hope you can work this out.

 

- Joel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to escalate this to a supervisor ASAP.  Celebrity Air won't advocate for you.  You have to force them to be your advocate.  It's sad how they market it , but then if something in the booking goes south, they disappear.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

Does not sound right to me.  The person on the phone is likely reading from a script and I'd see if you can talk to a manager. If I had had a TA help (even with Celebrity Air) I would have that person advocate for you.  Elliott Advocacy is a website that can advocate for you, as well.  

 

I hope you can work this out.

 

- Joel

 

Thanks Joel. We do have a TA. I am that TA. Never had this happen before to me or any of my clients.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DrKoob said:

 

Thanks Joel. We do have a TA. I am that TA. Never had this happen before to me or any of my clients.

 

Wow.  Sorry to hear.

 

Call in all your chits.  Get someone with some weight to advocate for you.  If there is hope, it is going to be above the level of whomever answers the phone.  

 

Consider that Elliott guy.

 

Good luck.

 

- Joel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

 

Wow.  Sorry to hear.

 

Call in all your chits.  Get someone with some weight to advocate for you.  If there is hope, it is going to be above the level of whomever answers the phone.  

 

Consider that Elliott guy.

 

Good luck.

 

- Joel

Jim’s wife here - we would BUT our cruise is July 4 - one week from today. Talked to another Celebrity agent & there may be hope. But we are escalating anyway. Now afraid our flight home will be cancelled & we won’t know it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your flight plight.  Yes, you are forced to hold Celebrity Air accountable and will have to insist that they do their job.  Good luck.  Let us know how it turns out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

Sorry to hear about your flight plight.  Yes, you are forced to hold Celebrity Air accountable and will have to insist that they do their job.  Good luck.  Let us know how it turns out.

 

As of right now a new agent we talked to tonight said that they have "sent an e-mail to American Air to see if they will allow us to change to another airline for the second half of our trip (that used to be non-stop). We won't know for sure for at least 24 hours and maybe more. 

No supervisors working on Sunday or at least I asked to speak to one and was put on hold for more than an hour and finally hung up as we had friends coming for dinner. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

 

As of right now a new agent we talked to tonight said that they have "sent an e-mail to American Air to see if they will allow us to change to another airline for the second half of our trip (that used to be non-stop). We won't know for sure for at least 24 hours and maybe more. 

No supervisors working on Sunday or at least I asked to speak to one and was put on hold for more than an hour and finally hung up as we had friends coming for dinner. 

 

Yeah.. I'd cut my losses on weekend supervisors.  Call tomorrow ASAP.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whilst American Airlines do not usually work directly with you if you are booked through an agent we found them fantastic when we had a last minute cancellation due to bad weather. We simply explained we could not wait for our agent to look at alternatives....

 

Worth a try...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yikes!

We just booked one half of our Galapagos trip through Celebrity on American. We wanted a different flight and the rep. told me they only book refundable flights.

We still have plenty of time, but please update.

 

FWIW, the Resolutions Department has been very helpful to me in the past.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, rucrazy said:

@DrKoob your misadventure is exactly why we no longer use cruise lines to book our air fare.. The "savings" are just not worth it!

Wishing you the best on your resolution! 

 

After 20+ cruises with X, this is the first and only time we have booked with the cruise line. When you go to the Galapagos, it makes it so much easier if you use their air. Not only do they give you a $900 air credit per person but the transfers/overnight stay/flight to Baltra are all part of it. Didn't want to do it as I actually like booking air but it was highly recommended by others who have done this itinerary. 

Jim

Edited by DrKoob
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

 

After 20+ cruises with X, this is the first and only time we have booked with the cruise line. When you go to the Galapagos, it makes it so much easier if you use their air. Not only do they give you a $900 air credit per person but the transfers/overnight stay/flight to Baltra are all part of it. Didn't want to do it as I actually like booking air but it was highly recommended by others who have done this itinerary. 

Jim

 

My understanding is that the Flights By Celebrity is used only for the flights from your home and back.  All the other stuff like the transfers, overnight stays, and flights to/from Baltra are part of the land package.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The below is from the Flights by Celebrity website--sounds to me that "Assured Arrival" is meaningless if they say you're on your own when an airline cancels a flight ?!?!

 

None of the promises below were followed by Celebrity in the OP's case.

 

Provides Assured Arrival as our guarantee to assist guests when they encounter any flight disruptions that occur through no fault of their own. We also proactively monitor flights and offer an around the clock specialist that is available throughout your travel and acts as a liaison between our guest, the carriers and our ships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

The below is from the Flights by Celebrity website--sounds to me that "Assured Arrival" is meaningless if they say you're on your own when an airline cancels a flight ?!?!

 

None of the promises below were followed by Celebrity in the OP's case.

 

Provides Assured Arrival as our guarantee to assist guests when they encounter any flight disruptions that occur through no fault of their own. We also proactively monitor flights and offer an around the clock specialist that is available throughout your travel and acts as a liaison between our guest, the carriers and our ships.

 

I know. It was crazy that while I was on hold  for the 45+ minutes the hold message kept saying. "When you book your flights with Celebrity Air we make sure you get to your destination." I think I heard that about 20 times before the rep came back on and said, "You will have to find your own way to Quito." 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Pooh and Tigger, 

Your advice rocked. I sent her an e-mail about 45 minutes ago. Laid it all out in bullet points and about 10 minutes ago, her Executive Assistant called me and said she was taking care of it and would be calling me back later to find out what the outcome was with Celebrity Air. She said Lisa had read the e-mail and wanted to apologize for the treatment. I have to say if this works out, I am truly impressed.

 

Thanks again for great advice and the e-mail address. 

 

I will come back after we have this settled and tell you the final outcome.

 

Jim

Glad it worked out Jim. I knew it would. Lisa is one of the best. Hope you’re surviving the heat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Pooh and Tigger, 

Your advice rocked. I sent her an e-mail about 45 minutes ago. Laid it all out in bullet points and about 10 minutes ago, her Executive Assistant called me and said she was taking care of it and would be calling me back later to find out what the outcome was with Celebrity Air. She said Lisa had read the e-mail and wanted to apologize for the treatment. I have to say if this works out, I am truly impressed.

 

Thanks again for great advice and the e-mail address. 

 

I will come back after we have this settled and tell you the final outcome.

 

Jim

And it always helps to keep it short and to the point. I’m so happy I was able to help you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, pooh/tigger said:

Glad it worked out Jim. I knew it would. Lisa is one of the best. Hope you’re surviving the heat. 

 

We will see if it works out. She (the Executive Asst) promised to send me an e-mail with her contact info and nothing yet. That was about half an hour ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DrKoob said:

 

We will see if it works out. She (the Executive Asst) promised to send me an e-mail with her contact info and nothing yet. That was about half an hour ago. 

Think positive thoughts. 😎😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

 

We will see if it works out. She (the Executive Asst) promised to send me an e-mail with her contact info and nothing yet. That was about half an hour ago. 

 

I believe that you are not the only ones affected, perhaps the others still do not realize the cancellation, Celebrity must be working on solving the problem for everyone. Lisa's assistant solved the PSVA problem for us when we did the B2B2B YVR-HNL-YVR-LAX, she is very good and maybe even extra OBC they will give you, just have a little patience. Best wishes this is resolved.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

Pooh and Tigger, 

Your advice rocked. I sent her an e-mail about 45 minutes ago. Laid it all out in bullet points and about 10 minutes ago, her Executive Assistant called me and said she was taking care of it and would be calling me back later to find out what the outcome was with Celebrity Air. She said Lisa had read the e-mail and wanted to apologize for the treatment. I have to say if this works out, I am truly impressed.

 

Thanks again for great advice and the e-mail address. 

 

I will come back after we have this settled and tell you the final outcome.

 

Jim

 

Very nice--looking forward to reading about the final resolution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

 

I believe that you are not the only ones affected, perhaps the others still do not realize the cancellation, Celebrity must be working on solving the problem for everyone. Lisa's assistant solved the PSVA problem for us when we did the B2B2B YVR-HNL-YVR-LAX, she is very good and maybe even extra OBC they will give you, just have a little patience. Best wishes this is resolved.

 

Thanks for the good wish Gerardo. I fully understand they may be working on others as well but not to tell us and have us find out when I went to look for seats is just wrong. 

And we can't use the OBC. When you go to the Galapagos, everything is included (for what you pay, it ought to be). We had a friend go and she spent exactly $1.5O to buy a postcard on board. 😀

 

Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...