Would you cruise w a new cruise line w copies of old liners such as the FRANCE, MICHALANGELO, NORMANDIE, ETC?

On 7/18/2021 at 7:17 PM, Heidi13 said:

That was my assumption, as we had to either remove the asbestos or encapsulate it, and if encapsulate we had a ship register listing all contents and signs clearly marking where it was.

We did the encapsulation on all our ships and it was a nightmare.

The SSUS was towed to Turkey to have the asbestos removed (as they had no environmental controls at the time).  In addition to the engine room, asbestos was used all throughout the accommodation, so it was removed as well.

And, yes, Andy, as Crystal cruises found out, the ship would have to be brought up to today's SOLAS regulations, and this was a major cost problem.

On 7/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The bones in the SSUS are still good.  If they turned the ship into an inside convention venue it could work.

The problem I see, is similar to the Queen Mary, where no work was done for decades below the waterline, and she is now requiring millions in repairs.  The battleship Texas has rotted out her bottom, and is flooding.  The best way to preserve a ship like this is to either fill in land around it, or build a concrete barge around the hull to keep it from the water.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The SSUS was towed to Turkey to have the asbestos removed (as they had no environmental controls at the time).  In addition to the engine room, asbestos was used all throughout the accommodation, so it was removed as well.

And, yes, Andy, as Crystal cruises found out, the ship would have to be brought up to today's SOLAS regulations, and this was a major cost problem.

My understanding of participation of PVSA/Jones Act trade is the ships also had to be maintained in US yards.

Would the Asbestos abatement work completed in Turkey impact the ships ability to operate PVSA trades.

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The problem I see, is similar to the Queen Mary, where no work was done for decades below the waterline, and she is now requiring millions in repairs.  The battleship Texas has rotted out her bottom, and is flooding.  The best way to preserve a ship like this is to either fill in land around it, or build a concrete barge around the hull to keep it from the water.

Great idea…take it one step further and raise the ship up to street level.

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

My understanding of participation of PVSA/Jones Act trade is the ships also had to be maintained in US yards.

Would the Asbestos abatement work completed in Turkey impact the ships ability to operate PVSA trades.

Actually, the US repair thing is not just for PVSA/Jones Act ships.  All US flag ships must either have maintenance/repair done in the US, or pay customs duty on the cost of overseas repairs.  The duty rate is 50%.  Currently, my company takes all their tankers to Grand Bahamas for shipyards, because even with a 50% "tax" added, they are still cheaper than US yards.  This duty on maintenance/repairs goes to everything done on a ship, other than cleaning of holds.  When I worked container ships, if we had a tech come on in Brazil to repair a crane, and he used a part that we had bought in the US, from our inventory, not only was his labor, but the cost of the part, reported as "foreign repair cost".

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Great idea…take it one step further and raise the ship up to street level.

DeMillo's floating restaurant here in Portland is an example.  He took an old ferry and converted it to a restaurant.  Then the hull started leaking, so they build a barge around her, and filled it with concrete (so there is no "void" to need inspection by insurance.  Since the weight of the restaurant and patrons was much less than the weight of the cars that she used to carry, the buoyancy was there to support the concrete.

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, the US repair thing is not just for PVSA/Jones Act ships.  All US flag ships must either have maintenance/repair done in the US, or pay customs duty on the cost of overseas repairs.  The duty rate is 50%.  Currently, my company takes all their tankers to Grand Bahamas for shipyards, because even with a 50% "tax" added, they are still cheaper than US yards.  This duty on maintenance/repairs goes to everything done on a ship, other than cleaning of holds.  When I worked container ships, if we had a tech come on in Brazil to repair a crane, and he used a part that we had bought in the US, from our inventory, not only was his labor, but the cost of the part, reported as "foreign repair cost".

Wow, they sure know how to put barriers to operating a worldwide deep sea fleet. Knew about the PVSA/Jones Act fleet, but obviously wasn't aware this applied to all US Flag tonnage.

When I started with P&O, a good number of the 250+  ships didn't routinely trade to the UK. Of the 6 cruise ships, only Oriana & Canberra drydocked annually in UK. Uganda was Malta and the Princess ships in Victoria or Los Angeles.

If P&O paid duty on foreign repairs/maintenance, the Chancellor would have been flush with cash.

17 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Wow, they sure know how to put barriers to operating a worldwide deep sea fleet. Knew about the PVSA/Jones Act fleet, but obviously wasn't aware this applied to all US Flag tonnage.

Well, along with the customs duty, back in the day, there was the construction and operating subsidies that the federal government paid to the shipowner for the difference between building a ship overseas, or operating as foreign flag, compared to US flag.

21 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

These subsidies were introduced by the Merchant Marine Act of 1936, which was designed by President Roosevelt to prepare our Merchant Marine for WW2.  It did this job admirably, but it's continuation long after the war led, in my opinion, to the demise of the US Merchant Marine, as shipowners, designers, builders, and unions did not look for innovations to keep ahead of the rest of the world, but instead merely passed additional  costs on to the Federal government as subsidies

I was aware of the reason for the subsides provided by the Federal Government.  Your comment about the lack of innovations related to these subsidies is something that I have never read. 

Makes sense in 2020-2021:  if I am getting a paycheck for not working, why should I seek employment?  

21 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Part of the subsidy program, was that all ships that received subsidies could be called to active service in times of war.  The SSUS was no different, and carries no special caveat for federal interest in preserving her.

Yet, S. S. United States is an example of American design, engineering, and construction excellence.  Is that not worthy of the attention of the National Park Service?  

On 7/27/2021 at 7:42 PM, rkacruiser said:

I was aware of the reason for the subsides provided by the Federal Government.  Your comment about the lack of innovations related to these subsidies is something that I have never read. 

Makes sense in 2020-2021:  if I am getting a paycheck for not working, why should I seek employment?  

Yet, S. S. United States is an example of American design, engineering, and construction excellence.  Is that not worthy of the attention of the National Park Service?  

You would think the SSUS would rate monument status.  Unfortunately the current Congress sees it differently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You would think the SSUS would rate monument status.  Unfortunately the current Congress sees it differently.

I wonder how many of our honorable members of Congress are well versed in the history of the United States and understand what the Monuments that we have truly represent and mean.  Just as an example of what I am thinking-----

How many have visited Ellis Island?  Do some of them even know that Ellis Island exists?  Do they know what that site means to our history?  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I wonder how many of our honorable members of Congress are well versed in the history of the United States and understand what the Monuments that we have truly represent and mean.  Just as an example of what I am thinking-----

How many have visited Ellis Island?  Do some of them even know that Ellis Island exists?  Do they know what that site means to our history?  

Amen RK…Congress continues to disappoint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I sailed/cruised on the Michelangelo sister ship to the Leonardo Da Vinci and no would not as the cabins were very small as compared to today's cruise ships.  I would have a bit of claustrophobia. however, I would not mind the quality of service and delicious food stuff.