Schengen 90 day in 180 day rule for Non EU nationals

Sam34jolly

The EU are imposing a 90 day in 180 day rule for UK travelers to Schengen countries.

I have been trying to find out how this impacts cruises within Europe.

For example I plan on going on a 15 day holiday next year starting and finishing at Malta.

There will be 2 days in Croatia, 2 in Italy, 1 in Turkey and 4 in Greece.

There will also be sea days.

As the holiday begins and ends in a Schengen country will 15 days be deducted from my 90 days.

Or will no days be deducted as all the nights will not be in a Schengen country.

Or do we get deducted just for the Schegen country days in Malta, Italy and Greece.

Most certainly you WILL use up some of your 90 days.

The clock starts when you arrive in Malta from the UK  & stops when you leave Malta bound for the UK.

What I'm not so sure about is Croatia & Turkey. That may depend on whether you and your passports go through the system there (which hasn't happened to us in the past with cruise ports-of-call there), or immigration authorities rely on ship's manifesto. 

I think it safest to presume every day counting toward your 90 days.

If there's some pressing reason why you need those three extra days in the course of six months, then best not to rely on other folks' guesswork but get the info from the horse's mouth. If the horse is literate, get it in writing. 😉

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

So that's you fly into Malta.

What happens if you sail from Southampton and have a weeks cruise around Norway, which although it's not an EU country is a Schegen one?

I take it that the clock will begin when you first land and leave Norway, and not count when you leave Southampton.

46 minutes ago, Sam34jolly said:

So that's you fly into Malta.

What happens if you sail from Southampton and have a weeks cruise around Norway, which although it's not an EU country is a Schegen one?

I take it that the clock will begin when you first land and leave Norway, and not count when you leave Southampton.

I'm no expert, I'm just a barrack-room lawyer.

But the rule relates to Schengen countries, not EU countries, and there are a few difference  - eg Ireland is EU but not Schengen and, as you say, Norway is Schengen but not EU.

So yes, the 90-in-180 rule applies to travel to Norway - but again we have the different entry processes for port-of-call cruisers.

I'd presume the same as you - that days in Norway count, and that the clock starts & stops in Norway, not Southampton.

But, as per my reply re your Med cruise, you need better advice than mine if you plan to sail close to the wind on the 90 allowed days

JB 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Remember, the rule does not apply to British visitors to Ireland under the terms of the Common Travel Agreement. You can stay there, and Irish citizens in UK, indefinitely. 

Both countries exercising their sovereign rights. 

Edited by Tothesunset

• 2 years later...

I went to Malta for a one week cruise this week. We were stamped in and out of Malta so I lost 8 days from my 90 days.

In a few weeks we are sailing from Southampton to a few European destinations. We won't be stamped leaving the UK. But I've been told that when we arrive at the ports, we won't get our passports stamped as we are just day visitors. So I won't lose any days off my allowance.

I'll provide confirmation after the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what happens if the ETIAS (?) comes into force?

We have EU passports and British passports. We’ve been told by our TA if we use our EU passports to check in we can’t get help from British embassy. If we don’t use our EU passports then we May have to Apple for ETIAS ? which we don’t technically need.

Not sure if that’s corrrect wonder if anyone knows. 

4 hours ago, wineoclock said:

We have EU passports and British passports.

My nephew has both British & Spanish nationality/passports. Whilst he usually travels on holiday with his British passport, he would use his Spanish one to take advantage of "free movement of labour", within  the Schengen area as & when needed. 

I think (but am not positive) that your TA is wrong. If you are a British citizen, then I believe the embassy would offer assistance. It is your citizenship, not the passport you may have travelled on, that is the important thing. But taking your UK passport as well would be useful evidence. 

• Like 1

Thank you 

that’s what I thought.

we leave and enter the U.K. with our British passports but when we arrive or leave the EU we use our EU passports or ID.

Especially since some countries are having separate lines for EU and Non EU with U.K. now sometimes in the Non EU line as it should be now we’ve left. 

That sounds garbled but hope you understand! 

We always travel with both passports. 

Yes it did.

We applied for our EU passports as soon as the vote was decided; mainly so ours dcs could also have the EU passports, in case they ever wanted to work in Europe it would be easier for them. And I’ve of them did and worked in france for a while. Much easier for them than their friends who had to supply multiple documents! 

• Like 1