Jump to content

Will a transport chair work?


Recommended Posts

It's so much lighter to push than a standard wheelchair but I'm concerned about the metal strips that are all along the way for the water tight doors...will it be difficult to get DH up and over those with this type of chair? Thanks for your help!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My husband has a transport chair he takes on cruises even though he rents a scooter.   We just leave the transport chair folded up in the room and he uses the scooter until we disembark on the last day.  But before he started renting scooters, he used the transport chair to get around the ship, not to mention on shore.  I was the one who pushed him around.   

 

Based on my experience as a "pusher" you quickly determine which metal strips throughout the ship are harder to roll over than others.   They are not all identical.   If you come across a more difficult strip, try different areas on that strip because sometimes there's a better location on the strip that is not as high.  You might have to pull him over the strip backwards instead of pushing him straight on.  It doesn't take long to figure out which strips are more difficult.    I actually think there were more good strips than difficult ones - not that they're that difficult, you just have to see if you can find a better area on the strip to roll over or back over the strip.    

 

And yes, the transport chairs are more difficult on carpet than a wheelchair but at least the carpet is low.   

 

Another thing is at port stops.   You will be avoiding inclines very quickly.   

 

Have you considered renting a scooter for him?   He can still have his transport chair and just keep it folded up in the stateroom.   My husband can't wait until he gets to our stateroom so he can switch over to the scooter.    Renting a scooter has been one of the best things we've ever done on a cruise.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2021 at 8:19 AM, Essiesmom said:

It is my understanding that a transport chair is harder to push on carpet than a regular chair.  There is lots of carpeting on the ship.  EM

True...I did try pushing him in one at the Durable Medical Equipment store..and a carpet that was not too "high"..and it seemed "doable". 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2021 at 11:26 AM, kokopelli-az said:

My husband has a transport chair he takes on cruises even though he rents a scooter.   We just leave the transport chair folded up in the room and he uses the scooter until we disembark on the last day.  But before he started renting scooters, he used the transport chair to get around the ship, not to mention on shore.  I was the one who pushed him around.   

 

Based on my experience as a "pusher" you quickly determine which metal strips throughout the ship are harder to roll over than others.   They are not all identical.   If you come across a more difficult strip, try different areas on that strip because sometimes there's a better location on the strip that is not as high.  You might have to pull him over the strip backwards instead of pushing him straight on.  It doesn't take long to figure out which strips are more difficult.    I actually think there were more good strips than difficult ones - not that they're that difficult, you just have to see if you can find a better area on the strip to roll over or back over the strip.    

 

And yes, the transport chairs are more difficult on carpet than a wheelchair but at least the carpet is low.   

 

Another thing is at port stops.   You will be avoiding inclines very quickly.   

 

Have you considered renting a scooter for him?   He can still have his transport chair and just keep it folded up in the stateroom.   My husband can't wait until he gets to our stateroom so he can switch over to the scooter.    Renting a scooter has been one of the best things we've ever done on a cruise.  

Thanks for your tip about going backwards over the strips...great idea. I have looked into renting a scooter..but I just don't think that a standard veranda cabin will have the room to "park it"..there is room between the 2 twin beds if I set it up that way...but I just don't think he can "make the turn" based on the amount of room between the base of the beds and the wall. He tried those out at the DME store as well..and it seems like the turning radius is pretty small..but I'm just not sure..and I'd hate to rent it and then not really be able to use it or have it take up so much space in the cabin if it's useless!!! 🙂 I'm waiting for the store to get in some more motorized transport chairs..I think they might work. I could rent one here in SD and have a friend help me get it to the ship..it does break down into several pieces. I'm not concerned about getting off the ship...the ship is the destination for us these days..and if we get off it won't be to go far. Thanks again..any and all help is so appreciated..this is a brand new world for us both! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, a rental scooter may not even fit through the door of a non-accessible stateroom.   With an accessible stateroom, usually no problem getting through the door and lots of space in the room.  

 

If you want this scooter for your upcoming cruise, check with your cruise line's Access Dept.  You can find their contact information on the cruise line's webpage.   Ask them how wide your stateroom door is to ensure the scooter you're bringing will fit.  Or maybe you're considering breaking the scooter down before you get through the door?

 

If you bring a rental scooter from home, you will need to get it on and off the plane and to the pier.   And to and from the hotel, if you're staying overnight.  

 

By the way, most of the scooters that are rented ahead of time and delivered to the ship are the Pride Go-Go Sport, which also breaks down (I think into 5 pieces) (they're called transportable scooters).   The two main scooter rental companies that most cruise lines will allow to deliver scooters to the ship are specialneedsatsea.com and scootaround.com.  

 

Do you happen to know the scooter model(s) your mobility store is receiving?   People on this board may have experience with the scooter you are considering renting.   

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I finally purchased a (fairly) lightweight Pride Go Go Folding Travel Scooter for my husband a couple of years ago. It's easily folded up. No parts to break down. It ends up being about the same size as a medium rolling suitcase when folded and you just sort of roll it along in it's upright folded position. It weighs 50 lbs. We already had a transport chair but it certainly wasn't the most comfortable chair to sit on for long and only used it initially when he was recovering from a medical issue or on a rare occassion.

 

We rented a Pride scooter for him on a few cruises and finally I decided it would be better just to get him one than to keep paying for renting one.   One of the best things about it is it fits into any type of cabin just fine. So we don't have to go through the hassle of trying to get an accessible cabin, which are often in short supply and not often located where we'd like our cabin to be. There are 2 types of batteries you can order. I recommend the lithium type since they weigh only 5 lbs. and the other type weights 12.  He rides it though the airport up to the cabin door. Then I remove the battery (required for lithium as that type must go in the main cabin of the plane), which is easy, quickly just fold the scooter (also easy), and airline staff then put it in the cargo hold of the plane. It's returned to us generally right on the jetway after the plane lands.  As for the battery, when take it out of the scooter upon boarding (or when I am loading/unloading it from a vehicle as it makes it lighter),  I put it in what is actually a small padded nylon cooler bag w/a shoulder strap (since it was a cheap and easy way to store it) and stash it in the overhead on board the plane. It does not count as a carryon or prevent you from bringing a real carryon along.  Just something to consider.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

I finally purchased a (fairly) lightweight Pride Go Go Folding Travel Scooter for my husband a couple of years ago. It's easily folded up. No parts to break down. It ends up being about the same size as a medium rolling suitcase when folded and you just sort of roll it along in it's upright folded position. It weighs 50 lbs. 

 

 

 

Can you please post a link or photo of the Pride Go Go Folding Travel Scooter you bought?   Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Some of you mentioned foldable transfer chairs, I didn't know they made them?  The chairs I've used for Dear Dad at the hospitals and clinics are big bulky things.

 

 

 

Edited by atexsix
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Some of you mentioned foldable transfer chairs, I didn't know they made them?  The chairs I've used for Dear Dad at the hospitals and clinics are big bulky things.

 

 

 

There are lots of them.    My husband has the one below and it has been all over the world.   He got the larger size (bariatric)  because the seat was wider.   If you have a mobility store you can go to take a look at what they have.   You want one that fits the size of Dad.

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016JDBSM/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...