Jump to content

No more free internet for platinum & elite


1965
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Doug R. said:

The points gained by onboard spending would not sit well with the elites who brag about how they never ever spend a cent onboard and cash in their refundable OBC.

Princess should have made all the OBC Non refundable. Would have taken care of that problem."The Elites that spend nothing on board may not be the majority." Princess can figure out the spending habits of people on board. We are Elite and so are our friends. I spend at least 90 days at sea during a given year. We have never cashed in OBC, and we are always in at least a balcony or above (consider ourselves lucky). We buy photos, upgrade the internet to unlimited (when it was offered), buy Princess tours, shop in the shops, buy drinks, go to specialty restaurants,Wine dinners etc . And yet even though the dollar amounts of the Benefits that  have been taken away wasn't much, it was the "loyalty that gave us that" and was greatly appreciated by us.We felt our loyalty was appreciated, now not so much.

Edited by san diego sue
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nocl said:

Since you mentioned Celebrity you might take a look at this stream from over on their page

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2788499-always-included-for-elite/

 

Now that Celebrity has increased the cruise price to become "Always Included".  They takes away most of the perks for Captain's Club Elite and above benefits.  Now Celebrity includes drink package while Elite and above always have complementary drinks during cocktail hours and 290 mins free internet for Elite+.  Now these amenities are included in the Always Included cruise price which you have to pay for them.

It looks likes that you have to pay for your Captain's Club benefits which was included!!

Your comments and thoughts please.

 

For some, but not all, cruises Celebrity does offer the equivalent of Princess Savers fare called "Simply Sail"

 

"Cruise-only rates on select sailings. Drinks, Wi-Fi, and other amenities are not included."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like most of responses, the Platinum and Elite internet benefit was the most appreciated , in some way,  recognition to our loyalty along with preferred check-in (at nominated boarding schedule....not anytime as some think...or got away with),  and with Elite, priority ship to shore tender, laundry and possibly mini bar setup , but the others...who cares.....even the upgrade of stateroom amenities, had be reduced on our penultimate cruise(Aug19) and withdrawn(unavailable) on our last cruise Feb20. 

 

Why not offer free wifi as a benefit............then it would be a real benefit..........compared to the cost Princess charge.

 

I get unlimited internet at home for less than $2 a day, for multiple devices and stream movies on each, at the same time,  so why use/pay more at sea...

 

I know I would never use much except for the odd look at email , account etc....so why take away a genuine benefit.....to repay/recognize loyalty......????? 

 

The way Princess is going, Viking , being all inclusive , is looking very attractive, although we might have to cut down on cruise duration, to make it comparable in price......then so be it , but with twice or three times the quality/value.

 

Another Princess passenger looking to jump ship...........even as we hold Carnival shares.....which are pretty worthless these days.........and the future doesn't look that promising either.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ok. I've lost 2 perks. 1 will cost $5 a day to replace. The other will have me lose $50 per voyage. If I sail for 1 week the increase = $85. For 2 weeks = $120. Does Viking only cost $85 / 1 week or $120 / 2 weeks more?? Remember 2/3 of those taking the poll already purchase the all-inclusive fare so that validates what PCL 

 

Still a strange way to say they "value our loyalty"

 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Ok. I've lost 2 perks. 1 will cost $5 a day to replace. The other will have me lose $50 per voyage. If I sail for 1 week the increase = $85. For 2 weeks = $120. Does Viking only cost $85 / 1 week or $120 / 2 weeks more?? Remember 2/3 of those taking the poll already purchase the all-inclusive fare so that validates what PCL 

 

Still a strange way to say they "value our loyalty"

 

I know it's like comparing apples with oranges...........Princess and Viking are miles apart, both in cost comparison and service, across all fields..........we are just a but peeved......one thing after another, we started off, as novices, but after a while we fell out of love.......with so many things......so we'll probably cut our losses and move on.........just move across and upwards.

 

As for the survey, the quoted results don't jell with our experiences and interactions with cruisers from down under, probably, quiet the opposite, ...............maybe a different demographic and mind set...each to their own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does this mean the loyalty tier for number of cruises OBC is gone too?  That wasn't part of being Elite; however, you had to get a lot of cruises before you got the OBC for each cruise.  I think it is $100 for the 7 days and $250 for 14 day....I think.  Is that now gone too?  I thought I read somewhere in this long post loyalty perks were gone.  I do count on those, along with OBC, as we go for a longer period.  Thanks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

All the whining is amazing.  Spend an average $1500 (US) or more for a 7-10 day cruise and then complain about an additional $10-15/day cost.  A cost that the same whiners wouldn't even worry about if not on an board.  

 

I am NOT a supporter of Princess or any other cruise line pricing.  NOT a supporter of the way they are handling cost recovery from the pandemic.  Princess, and others, have chosen "get it now" over long-term recovery and long-term loyalty.  Their choice.  We, as passengers, also have choices.

 

"Marketing" is when you try to convince someone of a "good deal" when its really not in their favor to buy. As old as the hills.  And as corrupt, too.

 

I think that most of us who be more receptive to "truth-telling" than deception when buying a product.  Marketers believe otherwise.  Princess marketers (and leadership) apparently believe that lying up front to potential cruisers is better than being truthful with pricing, perks and benefits.  Obfuscate what the real value isn't and you can con some people up front.  Problem is, of course, once conned in that manner people take notice.  The old "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" adage applies.  

 

Potential customers, and we are one having already booked a 2022 TA on Princess, need to throw out everything pre-pandemic, "perks," benefits, pricing, loyalty programs, etc., and look at each potential cruise from the ground up.  If the total costs makes sense, buy.  If not, walk (or ride with someone else).

 

Cruise lines are going through a post-pandemic shakedown period trying to find out what will entice a potential passenger to buy.  Not easy for them - and not easy for the potential passenger with so much hype and "marketing" being thrown around.  We have three long cruises booked for 2022, each with a different cruise line.  "Loyalty" is not longer a consideration for us and it appears cruise lines (and airlines) believe the same.  It price per cruise per cabin type that matters (along with destination).  No whining needed.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Potential customers, and we are one having already booked a 2022 TA on Princess, need to throw out everything pre-pandemic, "perks," benefits, pricing, loyalty programs, etc., and look at each potential cruise from the ground up.  If the total costs makes sense, buy.  If not, walk (or ride with someone else).

Agree, this is the bottom line...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

All the whining is amazing.  Spend an average $1500 (US) or more for a 7-10 day cruise and then complain about an additional $10-15/day cost.  A cost that the same whiners wouldn't even worry about if not on an board.  

 

 

This is the same $10-15/day cost that Princess considers important.

 

If a multi-billion dollar corporation thinks it is important, I can think so also.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, caribill said:

 

This is the same $10-15/day cost that Princess considers important.

 

If a multi-billion dollar corporation thinks it is important, I can think so also.

Your not looking at the big picture. Think $10-15/day PER passenger.  So they can pay off their billions of dollars of debt.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We need them to survive also.  Don't come back and say you don't care there are other cruise lines out there. They are in just as much debt. They are doing what ever they need to do to survive also.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Your not looking at the big picture. Think $10-15/day PER passenger.  So they can pay off their billions of dollars of debt.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We need them to survive also.  Don't come back and say you don't care there are other cruise lines out there. They are in just as much debt. They are doing what ever they need to do to survive also.

We NEED them to survive?  No, we NEED many operations to survive (such as medical providers, public transit, schools, farms, etc.) ... most of which provide essential services and do not depend on discretionary spending.  It would be nice for cruiselines to survive, and for a variety of non-essential operations as well, but I would hope the pandemic has impacted our value system.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

We NEED them to survive?  No, we NEED many operations to survive (such as medical providers, public transit, schools, farms, etc.) ... most of which provide essential services and do not depend on discretionary spending.  It would be nice for cruiselines to survive, and for a variety of non-essential operations as well, but I would hope the pandemic has impacted our value system.

I agree.......I have no need for them to survive.....they simply could have grandfathered in these changes instead of taking back promised perks for reaching different loyalty levels.....

 

Princess seems to be running a bait and switch shell game these days since the start fo the pandemic....no need to stay with them anymore....happy to go with other cruise lines now that loyalty is not one of their core values to their customers......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2021 at 12:21 PM, nocl said:

Since you mentioned Celebrity you might take a look at this stream from over on their page

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2788499-always-included-for-elite/

 

Hmmm. I looked. The #3 post says it all: Now that cruises are restarting and new surveys will go out, I’m sure they will feel pressure and make changes.

Surveys post-cruise...do it!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 6:03 AM, mellon1 said:

Does this mean the loyalty tier for number of cruises OBC is gone too?  That wasn't part of being Elite; however, you had to get a lot of cruises before you got the OBC for each cruise.  I think it is $100 for the 7 days and $250 for 14 day....I think.  Is that now gone too?  I thought I read somewhere in this long post loyalty perks were gone.  I do count on those, along with OBC, as we go for a longer period.  Thanks.  

the loyalty obc started at cruise 21 it was $25, then went up by 25 every 10 additional cruises to a max of 100.

 

The amounts you mentioned are shareholder an veteran obc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Department stores also change their merchandise gradually for a new and ever changing market.

Princess still offers, unchanged, production stage shows, cocktail parties, art auctions and formal dining.  These are things we older cruisers like, but other lines appeal better to younger passengers.

By taking away loyalty benefits, Princess is changing what they consider to be a valued customer. But is what they continue to offer, what new younger customers will value?

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Princess still offers, unchanged, production stage shows, cocktail parties, art auctions and formal dining.  These are things we older cruisers like, but other lines appeal better to younger passengers.

 

At least until the pandemic conditions end, the cruise experience is greatly changed.

 

We do not know what form the production shows will take. Cocktail parties are suspended. Few people of any age greatly appreciate the art auctions. And, initially, formal dining is limited to tables for 2 (or the size of your family group) which some, but definitely not all, cruisers do prefer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2021 at 9:56 PM, XLCAPRIES said:

Like most of responses, the Platinum and Elite internet benefit was the most appreciated , in some way,  recognition to our loyalty along with preferred check-in (at nominated boarding schedule....not anytime as some think...or got away with),  and with Elite, priority ship to shore tender, laundry and possibly mini bar setup , but the others...who cares.....even the upgrade of stateroom amenities, had be reduced on our penultimate cruise(Aug19) and withdrawn(unavailable) on our last cruise Feb20. 

 

Why not offer free wifi as a benefit............then it would be a real benefit..........compared to the cost Princess charge.

 

I get unlimited internet at home for less than $2 a day, for multiple devices and stream movies on each, at the same time,  so why use/pay more at sea...

 

I know I would never use much except for the odd look at email , account etc....so why take away a genuine benefit.....to repay/recognize loyalty......????? 

 

The way Princess is going, Viking , being all inclusive , is looking very attractive, although we might have to cut down on cruise duration, to make it comparable in price......then so be it , but with twice or three times the quality/value.

 

Another Princess passenger looking to jump ship...........even as we hold Carnival shares.....which are pretty worthless these days.........and the future doesn't look that promising either.

 

the shareholder obc still exists and is more than the max loyalty benefit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, nocl said:

the shareholder obc still exists and is more than the max loyalty benefit.

 

Stockholder OBC is only more than max loyalty benefit for voyagers over 14 days.

 

It is equal to max loyalty benefit for voyages of 7 to 13 days.

 

It is less than max loyalty benefit for voyages less than 7 days.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 1:56 AM, XLCAPRIES said:

Like most of responses, the Platinum and Elite internet benefit was the most appreciated , in some way,  recognition to our loyalty along with preferred check-in (at nominated boarding schedule....not anytime as some think...or got away with),  and with Elite, priority ship to shore tender, laundry and possibly mini bar setup , but the others...who cares.....even the upgrade of stateroom amenities, had be reduced on our penultimate cruise(Aug19) and withdrawn(unavailable) on our last cruise Feb20. 

 

Why not offer free wifi as a benefit............then it would be a real benefit..........compared to the cost Princess charge.

 

I get unlimited internet at home for less than $2 a day, for multiple devices and stream movies on each, at the same time,  so why use/pay more at sea...

 

I know I would never use much except for the odd look at email , account etc....so why take away a genuine benefit.....to repay/recognize loyalty......????? 

 

The way Princess is going, Viking , being all inclusive , is looking very attractive, although we might have to cut down on cruise duration, to make it comparable in price......then so be it , but with twice or three times the quality/value.

 

Another Princess passenger looking to jump ship...........even as we hold Carnival shares.....which are pretty worthless these days.........and the future doesn't look that promising either.

 

i just saw the princess loyalty change so dissapointed this is one of the reason we take long cruise. We had 500min each only used to facetime the family.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2021 at 1:55 AM, gazpam said:

As you state. Princess has a lot of Elite cruisers. Therefore I would imagine that loosing those many Elite would put a bit of a hole in there passenger roll call. 

I have sent my email to those 4 suggested and will send one to the Princess contact us.

For those who may be interested in what I have sent, this is it.

 

Having been a loyal Princess passenger over the years, enough to get to the Elite level, and 4 future cruises already booked for 2021/22 with Princess, totalling 85 days. I will no longer book Princess over other cruises that have a similar itinerary. 

 

Why would you even consider the statement, "We hope you enjoy these updates to your perks - because you deserve it." an enjoyment, and obviously your loyal passengers don't deserve much. What a ridiculously mean thing to do, to change the Internet to pay,(oh great 50% off) and OBC gone. Wow we still get free laundry and,

 

Exclusive, early access to Dine My Way reservations (ability to make them before final payment!)
* 10% off shore excursions
* 10% off Lotus Spa treatments
* 10% off Photo Gallery offerings

Which many of us have no interest in. 

During this very trying period with the pandemic, I have remained loyal and left my FCC with Princess when 3 or 4 of my cruises have been cancelled. Yes, I have certainly been repaid by Princess with great deals for hanging in there with the new cruises I have booked for 2022. But still find this, pay for internet, a mean thing to do.

 

you are completely right on all points

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Internet for $5 a day seems quite nice to me.  I don't have to keep track of minutes.  It might be a moot point, too, since I like the Princess Plus option to add on, anyway.

 

I was never impressed with the Platinum and Elite happy hour.  I'm accustomed to RCCL's appetizer offerings, and that steak tartare looked like a giant meatloaf ready to go in the oven.  The Princess reduced price drinks were significantly watered down, and I finally gave up going to the event.

 

Since we ate late, I preferred to go get a dessert plate of cold cuts and cheese, get a drink and sit somewhere quiet to read, preferably outside.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, caribill said:

We do not know what form the production shows will take. Cocktail parties are suspended. Few people of any age greatly appreciate the art auctions. And, initially, formal dining is limited to tables for 2 (or the size of your family group) which some, but definitely not all, cruisers do prefer.

I did not intend to go into detail, but just to point out that there is a wide disconnect between what Princess has offered in the past and what they seem to want to attract in customers going forward.

Regarding the Art Auctions. Once saw the Goya etching, "Ya van desplumados," (There they go plucked) at a Princess auction. I laughed as it seemed to fit the moment. That said, If someone has buyer's remorse on one of Goya's Los Caprichos I'd be interested.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Some people have commented on the small amount of money involved in the loss of the free internet minutes. Yes, the out-of-pocket cost may be small but this is really about what loyalty means, as many others have stated.

 

The free internet minutes were actually the perfect sort of perk: The perceived value by the customer was high but the actual cost to the company was very low, a true win-win. This is one of those cases where the qualitative value is far more important than the quantitative value. Princess was thanking us for our continued patronage in a tangible way. We appreciated that.

 

Replacing the free minutes with a 50% discount off some price that will of course increase as time goes on is not the same thing, even if the current cost is relatively modest. “Free” is better than “not free” both in a tangible way and an emotional one.

 

More than ten years ago we decided that Princess seemed to be the right cruise line for us. We found interesting itineraries; we liked the ships; the service was always at least very good (often excellent); we enjoyed the on-board entertainment; and we’ve met some great fellow passengers.  Some things have changed during this period, most notably the reduction of food quality in the MDR. We’ve adjusted by patronizing the specialty dining venues more often, which I’m sure is part of Princess’ business plan.  (Heads up, Princess: Although the MDR food quality is still acceptable, there isn’t much room for further quality reduction before it crosses the line.)

 

 So we’ve stuck with Princess during this time and at some point their loyalty program started to come into play. We appreciated being recognized and rewarded for our continued patronage. We never said this consciously, but our mindset had evolved to a point that “a cruise” always meant “a Princess cruise.” We never even looked at cruising on a different line. Princess’ marketing was effective!

 

That’s no longer the case. Princess has given us a wake-up call and there just isn’t any reason for our continued loyalty.  We’ll probably continue to use Princess but we definitely will sample other cruise lines. Perhaps we’ll find another one we like as much or even more. To the extent that happens, Princess will get less of our business and perhaps eventually none. In the meantime they certainly will lose some of our business while we try other cruise lines.

 

Princess has told us that they will continue to work hard to earn our loyalty and they hope we enjoy our new benefits. I’ll offer a suggestion to whoever is now in charge of marketing at Princess:  It’s not a good idea to insult the intelligence of your customers.

 

One more thing. We have not taken enough Princess cruises to qualify for the Loyalty OBC, so the withdrawal of that benefit didn’t affect us. Looking ahead, some of our future cruises won’t be on Princess but we won’t have any regrets about not making progress toward qualifying for the Loyalty OBC because Princess has taken that out of the equation. Thanks, Princess, for making the transition even easier.

 

Edited by steveww48
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, steveww48 said:

I’ll offer a suggestion to whoever is now in charge of marketing at Princess:  It’s not a good idea to insult the intelligence of your customers.

 

 

Well said, I do believe her passengers are a cut above the norm, in my opinion.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...