No more free internet for platinum & elite

No. You can buy as many plans as you want. Heck 2 people with 1 smart phone between them and no other devices can each buy the 4 device plan. (8 hook ups in 1 room) But why would you want to / need to unless working onboard and need to run multiple systems???

I was simply stating how those who don't need / want internet can get by on as little as $5 a day for wifi (internet) per room since that seems to be upsetting people

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

I apologize for being sparky in the above post. With the minibar,  Princess is giving the cruiser something, albeit a a minimal cost to PCL. With the wifi pkg, the cruiser is giving Princess $$s (net between $5 -> $25 after Elite OBC refund if eligible). By making the cruiser wait until they board increases chances they will spend it onboard. So it makes sense to have cruisers pay in full then get OBC back

I remember cruising before Internet existed. I liked it then and I will like it now. I am bummed that a really nice freebie was taken away. Since losing that perk, I have booked two NCL cruises in the Haven. We are leaving on a little 5-day Princess cruise on Monday, and I have booked Princess for Australia/New Zealand in March 2023. I will probably use Internet resources while visiting the ports. 

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

If I buy the 4-device package as a Elite member getting discount,  I use one device, my cabin mate uses 1 device, can I let my 2 sisters (in a different cabin) use the two remaining devices?  

Yes

3 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

If I buy the 4-device package as a Elite member getting discount,  I use one device, my cabin mate uses 1 device, can I let my 2 sisters (in a different cabin) use the two remaining devices?  

Just share the login credentials with them.  

On 9/28/2021 at 1:46 PM, 7SeasLover said:

I remember cruising before Internet existed. I liked it then and I will like it now. I am bummed that a really nice freebie was taken away. Since losing that perk, I have booked two NCL cruises in the Haven. We are leaving on a little 5-day Princess cruise on Monday, and I have booked Princess for Australia/New Zealand in March 2023. I will probably use Internet resources while visiting the ports. 

What is it that NCL is doing for you that Princess doesn't? If you think you are getting "free WiFi" you'd better check what that includes and more importantly does not include.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 8:39 AM, scottca075 said:

What is it that NCL is doing for you that Princess doesn't? If you think you are getting "free WiFi" you'd better check what that includes and more importantly does not include.

Nothing other than I really enjoy the Haven. 

On 6/30/2021 at 4:52 AM, 1965 said:

The new capt.'s circle benefits have been unveiled. No more free internet mins for platinum & elite. I'm very disappointed! 😪

Farewell Princess.  I am Elite.  We have two cruises booked on Princess.  One is next month, and the other next year.  I will take my LAST cruise on Princess next month, and cancel the one next year.  Royal is a much better cruise line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chloe kitty said:

Farewell Princess.  I am Elite.  We have two cruises booked on Princess.  One is next month, and the other next year.  I will take my LAST cruise on Princess next month, and cancel the one next year.  Royal is a much better cruise line.

So $5 a day was the breaking point? Or was it the lack of an onboard roller coaster? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, chloe kitty said:

Royal is a much better cruise line.

Based on what criteria?

19 hours ago, 7SeasLover said:

Nothing other than I really enjoy the Haven. 

But the implication of your previous post, and posting it in this topic, was that BECAUSE of the loss of these perks was why you were choosing NCL over Princess.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 12:44 PM, Ombud said:

> Donswife logs off internet, connects to intranet to use MedallionClass app free of charge

> Don logs on internet under her screen name

> Don logs off & Donswife logs back on internet when desired

I think it's actually simpler than that. Hubby and I shared a 1 person package on the Majestic. We both logged into the intranet. I connected to internet package. When he wanted internet, he just opened a browser and clicked the "connect this device instead of the other one" button on the Medallion Class page that came up. (or whatever the button said said). He was connected to the internet and I wasn't. I was still connected to the intranet. When he was finished, I opened a browser and clicked the "connect this device instead of the other one" (or whatever the button said) He was still connected to the intranet but not the internet. Neither one of us ever logged off the internet package, the other just took over. This works very well if you're right there together and get along very well. 

Edited by Sea Hag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to be nit picky, but isn't sharing Medallion net the same as sharing a beverage package, coffee "card", laundry, etc?

Both are paid for.  Both are shared.  I am against sharing.  I was taught in Kindergarten that sharing was a good thing.

Hopefully, Princess will not notice this "perk" and it too will go by the wayside as did suite free internet/shared.

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Not to be nit picky, but isn't sharing Medallion net the same as sharing a beverage package, coffee "card", laundry, etc?

Both are paid for.  Both are shared.  I am against sharing.  I was taught in Kindergarten that sharing was a good thing.

Hopefully, Princess will not notice this "perk" and it too will go by the wayside as did suite free internet/shared.

That so called free Internet was limited to minutes and was not shared 

20 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I think it's actually simpler than that. Hubby and I shared a 1 person package on the Majestic. We both logged into the intranet. I connected to internet package. When he wanted internet, he just opened a browser and clicked the "connect this device instead of the other one" button on the Medallion Class page that came up. (or whatever the button said said). He was connected to the internet and I wasn't. I was still connected to the intranet. When he was finished, I opened a browser and clicked the "connect this device instead of the other one" (or whatever the button said) He was still connected to the intranet but not the internet. Neither one of us ever logged off the internet package, the other just took over. This works very well if you're right there together and get along very well. 

I had no idea!! So simple

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

No, I don't think so. I have no moral qualms about sharing a - very lightly used at that - internet package. 

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I would say it isn't the same.  If one person had the beverage package, they could have 8&7 drinks each whereas each individual might only consume 7/8 drinks per day themselves.  Princess is out those extra drinks. 

Once purchased, the internet is available 24/7 to the purchaser, but nothing prevents them from sharing login credentials with a fellow cruiser.  Anytime the other person logs in, the original purchaser is kicked out, so still only one person on at any moment in time for the purchased package.  If original purchaser is logged in a browsing or streaming something, the other person could also be participating/observing.  Different circumstances as the internet is just there waiting to be used.

3 hours ago, memoak said:

That so called free Internet was limited to minutes and was not shared 

The former internet was minute-based and some minutes were given free to Platinums and Elites.  Whether one was using free minutes or purchased minutes, again, login credentials could have been shared with another person who perhaps did not qualify for free minutes and presuming the beneficiary had no need for the full allocation of free minutes.

3 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

No, I don't think so. I have no moral qualms about sharing a - very lightly used at that - internet package. 

It's not only not a problem, but Princess would have no way to know which actual person is logged in with the credentials.  As I mentioned, it is unlimited internet that is purchased, but with only one person/one device logged in at a time, the user is not getting anything over on Princess. 

One consideration, if the two people are not together and one wants in, they can knock the other person off who might be in the middle of doing something, so takes a bit of coordination.  We get it for both of us, so we don't have to keep each other out at times.  But then we are more than a few-minutes-per-day users.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 11:31 PM, chloe kitty said:

Bye Karen, bye Felicia😃

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have absolutely no qualms about spotting someone a latte or upgraded pot of tea as I trade my minibar for 2 coffee pkgs, 30 lattes. I can only go through 14 week. But I will only put the kids laundry in my bag. Sorry. Not doing yours. Says someone who was also taught sharing is a good thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/27/2021 at 10:20 AM, tamsno said:

I agree its not about the actual money being spent but the increasing lack of loyalty acknowledgement.  

Why do people have to be constantly stroked or acknowledged? You book a cruise with a line. You like the service ect ect, you continue to book. If you stop liking the experience you move on. These loyalty programs have nothing to do with loyalty. They are bait and switch marketing promotions to keep you coming back. If you are only booking one line for loyalty benefits you are going to be disappointed.

• Like 4

Even if they still had the free internet I would buy the unlimited plan. It was a pain to sign on each time and remember to sign off. It always seemed slower than molasses. I just wish they could provide better speed in the northern climates. I think I will write to customerrelations@princesscruises.com and share my thoughts.

Edited by billco
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, billco said:

Even if they still had the free internet I would buy the unlimited plan. It was a pain to sign on each time and remember to sign off. It always seemed slower than molasses. I just wish they could provide better speed in the northern climates.

I’ll go one better and say that Princess Plus has become such a good deal that the free minutes have become meaningless. Last year and this year we were supposed to sail under BSE which would have also made the minutes unnecessary, as well as the minibar. Only the laundry remains useful under the new promotions, so I really hope they don’t mess with it. 

That being said, there are other annoying things Princess is doing that are making me look at other lines. The incredible shrinking balconies on Royal class is one. The hatchet job on the Island is another, along with selling Pacific, the last of the small ships.  I’m not leaving Princess, but I’m certainly willing to expand horizons with more of an open mind than I had, which is probably not such a bad thing 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billco said:

Even if they still had the free internet I would buy the unlimited plan. It was a pain to sign on each time and remember to sign off. It always seemed slower than molasses. I just wish they could provide better speed in the northern climates. I think I will write to customerrelations@princesscruises.com and share my thoughts.

You and me both. All this fuss about printing an airline boarding pass. I fly out of JFK one of the most busiest international airports in the country. Not once have I ever seen a line at the kiosk to print a boarding pass. Do you know why? most people in 21st Century are showing a QR code on their phone.  You don't need to print a boarding pass at the end of the cruise. Just get it at the kiosk in the airport. To be honest I'm the one booking the all included deals Celebrity and Princess offer. I couldn't care less about the 2 buck Chuck or the bootleg bathtub gin they are serving in the loyalty lounges or in the elite bar set up.

• Like 1