Those scary braids

Kinda started talking about this on another thread. Those god-awful braids that seem to be a requirement on cruises. I don't get it - I have yet to see a caucasian that they look good on. I wouldn't walk around like that if somebody gave me $100. Something that I was wondering, it is probably easy to catch lice having that done - Do they use combs when braiding? How many heads have those combs come in contact with? Also lice can probably live under the fingernails of the people doing the braiding, and be transferred onto someone's head. I am confused. I just don't get the concept. icon_confused.gif

Carnival GLory 11/06/04

Carnival Legend 2/03 ( had to cancel at last minute)

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

Sitmar Fairsea 4/ 1983 ( I was just a little kid!!)

Boy, that's a happy thought .....

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

I've read on the Bahamas Port of Call thread that you should bring your own comb just because of that issue.... I have to agree with you on the braid part, I wouldn't be caught dead with a whole head done in braids... but hey one or two under your hair wouldn't be that bad, but yah a whole head is a bit much for me.

I'm curious are there any good stories out there with people having to get just mean with the braiders because they won't take no for an answer... I've read a few on the other thread, they are quite entertaining...

Happy Cruisin' to you all icon_cool.gif

~~Dolly

Carnival Jubilee 6/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

"have yet to see a caucasian that they look good on."... guess you don't remember Bo Derek!!

Jerry

Triumph 05/05/01

Fascination 09/14/01cancelled

Fascination 12/07/01

Triumph 10/24/02

Fantasy 05/18/03

Statendam 05/09/04

Tbone.gif

Yeah probably not, I was 5 when than movie came out!!! hee hee hee.

Hey a French Braid always looks nice, or a couple braids here and there, but yeah, seeing the little fair skinned kids running around with the corn-row style braids is so goofy looking. I have never been bombarded by hair braiding ladies before- maybe that's why people end up doing it! Might be a good excuse to get a short hair cut.

Carnival GLory 11/06/04

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

Because of the sanitary reasons as posted above, I am taking my girls to a salon in Clearwater Beach prior to our cruise. They both want the crowns of their heads done with a couple of beads on each one. They had this done about three years ago and looked great on them. I personally wouldn't have it done as an adult, but on the kids,, I think its nice. As for adults, to each her own, who am I to judge! LOL!

Also, another benefit of having them done before we set sail, is that no one will be bothering us on the islands because they will see its already been done!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

SENSATION! FIRST CRUISE! 7/10/04

That's smart. I look back at the cruise I took when I was 7 and if I had had the braids in I wouldn't have had the big wad of gum fall out of my mouth into my long hair, which then caused my sister to grab my Mom's scissors and cut a big chunk of hair out of the front!!!! I might have looked goofy in corn-rows on the cruise, but I wouldn't have had to get a rice-bowl haircut once I got back!!!! icon_eek.gif

Carnival GLory 11/06/04

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

We did my then 3 yo dd last year in St. Martin. Whole head. I didn't know how long it was going to take, it took hours. Big scam... they charge you per braid $1.00, so they make the braids as small as possible. My daughter loved it and she looked adorable, but I will never do that again. They tried to get me to pay $136 when it was done. I told them they were crazy and we wound up settling for $80. I still think I got ripped, but what can you do at the point? I would suggest negotiating a price beforehand. THat way they can't overcharge and you will probably get it done a lot faster!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;11;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Carnival Legend Poker Cruise

Let's get the cards in the air

Cruises

1984 Boheme

1986 Rotterdam

1989 Costa Riveria

1990 Jubilee

1991 Ecstasy

??? Fantasy

1995 Jubilee

1999 Sensation

2000 Majesty of the Seas

2002 Grand Princess

2003 Celebrity

Plus other that slipped my mind!!

$80??!! Oh my goodness. I can get a foil highlight at a good salon for that! icon_eek.gif

Carnival GLory 11/06/04

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Littlegoo75:

$80??!! Oh my goodness. I can get a foil highlight at a good salon for that! icon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL... isn't that the truth!! icon_biggrin.gif

~~Dolly

Carnival Jubilee 6/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I guess I'll be different, I love the braids - although not my whole head. I always get a few on a cruise or even a land vacation in the Caribbean. Usually mine are in the back or side where you don't really see them unless I pull my hair up. I never thought about the head lice thing, but also have never had a problem. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I always let my hair grow out some before vacations just so I can get some braids!

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Good for you! I don't think you are being different at all. Like I said, I have my girls hair done with braids. (Half head) and I think they look cute with them. Whats more...they LOVE them and they are happy! I say go for it!

People have different opinions, thats all.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

SENSATION! FIRST CRUISE! 7/10/04

Well, I am an adult too, and am looking forward to getting a couple of braids on each side, near my face. I've done it before and it kept my hair from blowing in my face so much and was, well, just fun. Maybe a little silly, but fun anyway.

Donna

I don't think it is an issue of being caucasion or not, but rather an issue of hair texture.I am a black woman with very light skin. I wear my braids proudly when cruising, because I can wash them easily without having to bring curling iron..blow dryer, etc. on vacation. Because of the more coarser texture of my hair, they stay neatly in place. If you have a more softer hair texture, the hair tends to separate from the braid pattern more easily, making the hair not appear as freshly done by the next day, or same day if swimming. If braids are done, be sure to have them start softly at the roots, but tighter for the length of the strand. Also, when taking them out, wet your hair and coat with a good hair conditioner, and they will come out easily. Do this in the shower so you can keep it drenched with water and conditioner. I always do this, and it works for me. Please bring your own comb if you are considering it. There are not ways to clean the combs as much as if you were in a salon. I personally have mine done at home just before I leave. I don't think it is any more crazier to get braids as a symbol of your vacation, than baking your skin for a quick vacation tan. Braids don't cause skin cancer.

Blessings 2 U

Miracle Sept 5,2004 7 day

Destiny June 13,2004 7 day

Disney Magic Sept 6,2003 7 day

Spirit Nov.2002 Panama 8 day

Paradise Oct 2002 10 day

Paradise Feb.2000 7 day

My niece, who is 12, gets her hair braided every cruise and she looks great. My wife always gets a few braids and I think it looks great also. They are both of Italian ancestry, but I don't know about the texture of their hair.

JV The 4 stages of cruising: planning, anticipation, experience and reflection.

I think the little girls look adorable with thier vacation hair. Does Carnival have braiders onboard?

littlegoo75.. I'm right down 95 from you, in Dumfries icon_biggrin.gif

Blessings 2 U

Paradise Oct 2002 10 day

Paradise Feb.2000 7 day

Incharge....I couldn't have said it better. I'm also a light skin black woman and professional like yourself. I too get them every summer.... Great advice for those who get them for just the cruise. Will be proudly wear mine.

My daughter got her hair braided on the pier in Cozumel last year. Her hair is down to the middle of her back and it took 2 girls over 2 hours to braid it. She negotiated her price of $40 up front and that included beads and flowers. She was a hit when she returned to school after spring break! She's 12. I didn't think about the lice issue but will be more aware of it this year when we go. She is planning on getting it done at Paradise Beach in August. My only rule is that she has to wait until after a formal night so she has her regular hair style for those pictures!

icon_biggrin.gif Not to mention that beautiful braid patterns can be worn from vacation to the board room, when arrainged in one of the many professional styles. Enjoy your cruise RinaJune612!

Blessings 2 U

Paradise Oct 2002 10 day

Paradise Feb.2000 7 day

Archived