John Heald is stuck in the UK :( Will not be able to cruise :(

matymil

That's too bad for him and for the people on the cruise who were looking forward to it, along with those of us who would have been interested in reading about his experience on the ship.  This will pass.  I will really like it if he is somehow able to cruise on my August Mardi Gras cruise on the 21st.  Maybe things will be better by then.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That's too bad for him and for the people on the cruise who were looking forward to it, along with those of us who would have been interested in reading about his experience on the ship.  This will pass.  I will really like it if he is someone able to cruise on my August Mardi Gras cruise on the 21st.  Maybe things will be better by then.

They could always bring him on as a guest entertainer at one of the ports - the way they do with comedians. Does anyone remember the mariachi band they used to bring onboard in Cozumel (to play in the MDR)? That was always something interesting to watch.

Of course, with all the additional restrictions - not sure how they'll pull off guest entertainers at this point. I can't see comedians traveling with the ship for an entire week.

Tom

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Once again, he was not denied because he´s not an essential worker and no one questioned his paper work. The only reason he - and all other UK citizens - were not able to fly was a new regulation because of the Delta virus variant.

steamboats

Can someone find where this is - I cannot find anything that lists new rules from yesterday to today.  I have seen no changes for weeks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So from what I have read: He got refused entry because of the new rule, just hours old, concerning entry from the UK to the US due to the Delta variant.

That's all, as far as I can see.

If so, then everything else about vaccinated or not, crew member or not, is just obfuscating the root cause.

So i guess Canada is next then cause we have the variant here as well?  Come to think of it doesnt the US already have the variant as well?  What about the other 3 variants? Stop travel from Brazil? India? Africa?  Sigh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kdr69 said:

So i guess Canada is next then cause we have the variant here as well?  Come to think of it doesnt the US already have the variant as well?  What about the other 3 variants? Stop travel from Brazil? India? Africa?  Sigh

Yep, it was said today we(U.S) now have the delta+ in every state. The lowest vaccinated states being hit the hardest of course. It’s something like 25% or so of all new infections as of this morning. 

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It is a combination of vaccine, the Delta variant, and WHO vs CDC. Even vaccinated people need to be concerned and not careless. And variant Gamma is coming.

so is the 16th wave apparently.  July 1st fully open here yay

46 minutes ago, NightOne said:

I've had something like 17 cruises cancelled. Prices always vary by the month of the cruise. (higher in the Summer)

Also, the $600 OBC is going to be nice.

Quit your whining. LOL

Not whining at all. I wasn't at Heathrow getting emotional for not boarding a plane. I already went through what has happened many times now. There was never any emotional response like this for anyone else or those that have to cancel a week before their cruise because of kids not being vaccinated. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Once again, he was not denied because he´s not an essential worker and no one questioned his paper work. The only reason he - and all other UK citizens - were not able to fly was a new regulation because of the Delta virus variant.

steamboats

Can you please post where you see this new regulation.

Doesn't seem to exist.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yet another example of why it's important to travel early for your cruise - in order to take into account travel delays... lol

Tom

He was traveling three days early. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

They could always bring him on as a guest entertainer at one of the ports - the way they do with comedians. Does anyone remember the mariachi band they used to bring onboard in Cozumel (to play in the MDR)? That was always something interesting to watch.

Of course, with all the additional restrictions - not sure how they'll pull off guest entertainers at this point. I can't see comedians traveling with the ship for an entire week.

Tom

I think fly on entertainment is taking a hiatus for a while. Don't want any super duper spreaders.

It might have been the US. The White House has just announced there is now a new Delta Response Team. I wonder what the CDC will say and if this will effect cruising even further.

Yes I know just when we thought we would be cruising again Fingies and toesies crossed.

Edited by sailingships

8 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

Can you please post where you see this new regulation.

Doesn't seem to exist.

I've been looking the last hour and I haven't found anything new.  What it appears to me is that travelers from the UK have not been able to come over since last spring without reason.

Edited by SCBarker
  • Like 1

I think that the situation is unfortunate for everyone affected, though what troubles me the most is that Carnival didn't understand the law.  As others have mentioned, there is no documented evidence that any new regulations have been added as of today, and those that were in effect already seemed to prevent Heald from traveling. I hadn't had the need to read the travel ban prior to today, but it didn't take any legal acumen to realize that he would likely be denied entry as a Brand Ambassador.  He should have been listed as an official member of the entertainment staff a month ago and been expected to adhere to all of the rules and restrictions that are required. He never was entitled to fly to Miami and ship hop as the Brand Ambassador. It's Carnival's fault that those expectations were created.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

I've been looking the last hour and I haven't found anything new.  What it appears to me is that travelers from the UK have not been able to come over since last spring.

His next video states he was stopped by U.S. and the U.S. border is closed to UK.  That is consistent with what I've read for quite some time.  From the Express (UK News) "The Financial Times reported that it is unlikely that a conclusion will be reached about the travel corridor between the US and UK and talks are expected to extend until August and possibly even September."

• Like 1

Disappointing news for all, but there is actually one good thing about it for his sake - he won't have to keep an eye on Tropical Storm Elsa spinning around out there right now. 😉

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Classifying John Heald as a comedian. I love it.🤣

24 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

I've been looking the last hour and I haven't found anything new.  What it appears to me is that travelers from the UK have not been able to come over since last spring without reason.

I agree. This was well known.

The comment that he could have travelled yesterday but not today is bizarre.

Perhaps his pre - flight covid test had expired.

13 minutes ago, ryanpatricksmom said:

I think that the situation is unfortunate for everyone affected, though what troubles me the most is that Carnival didn't understand the law.  As others have mentioned, there is no documented evidence that any new regulations have been added as of today, and those that were in effect already seemed to prevent Heald from traveling. I hadn't had the need to read the travel ban prior to today, but it didn't take any legal acumen to realize that he would likely be denied entry as a Brand Ambassador.  He should have been listed as an official member of the entertainment staff a month ago and been expected to adhere to all of the rules and restrictions that are required. He never was entitled to fly to Miami and ship hop as the Brand Ambassador. It's Carnival's fault that those expectations were created.

How do you explain the crowd of people to fly to the US not being allowed to. Your theory might hold true if it was just John that was denied.

• Like 1

I love Carnival.  I like John.  With all due respect to his perception, we have absolutely no reason to believe that any group of travelers who were legally allowed to travel yesterday were denied boarding today.  We do know that he was not legally allowed to travel yesterday and was ultimately denied today.  An empty airport line for travel destined to the U.S. originating at Heathrow wouldn't be anything unusual with the existing travel ban in place.  That's the only circumstance that I witnessed on the video.

Sorry, I forgot the quote.  I was responded to Mamallamaanddaddy

Edited by ryanpatricksmom
forgot quote
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Actually they seem to be scheduling the comedians stay on ships longer right now. I know of some that are scheduled to be on ships for a month. It's probably easier than having them bounce from ship to ship right now. These are the ones I know about.

https://saintgregtravel.com/punchliner-comedy-schedule/

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ryanpatricksmom said:

I love Carnival.  I like John.  With all due respect to his perception, we have absolutely no reason to believe that any group of travelers who were legally allowed to travel yesterday were denied boarding today.  We do know that he was not legally allowed to travel yesterday and was ultimately denied today.  An empty airport line for travel destined to the U.S. originating at Heathrow wouldn't be anything unusual with the existing travel ban in place.  That's the only circumstance that I witnessed on the video.

100% agree.