Breakaway vs Getaway

NCLGirl2013

Good morning!

I was just curious if anyone knows any major difference between the Breakaway and Getaway? I know they are sister ships so supposedly very similar. Did anyone prefer one over the other?

We have the Breakaway booked for Jan and the Getaway booked for late fall 2023 

6 minutes ago, NCLGirl2013 said:

Good morning!

I was just curious if anyone knows any major difference between the Breakaway and Getaway? I know they are sister ships so supposedly very similar. Did anyone prefer one over the other?

We have the Breakaway booked for Jan and the Getaway booked for late fall 2023 

They are essentially the same ship and the minor differences should not be a consideration during booking. 

• Like 2

Hi, Long time lurker here making first post :)

As others have said there is very little difference in these ships.  I have sailed them both.  The Getaway in September of 2018 and Breakaway October 2019.

The only things that I can think of that are different is that the Getaway has a larger closed off section for the Vibe that has not been added to the Breakaway as of yet.  Also the Getaway has a Sugarcane Mojito Bar and that same place on the Breakaway is a Martini Bar.

Otherwise it comes down to decoration as the Getaway is Miami themed and the Breakaway is New York themed.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Is the Haven Courtyard on the BA and GA not covered?

Breakaway is definitely covered but can be converted to open. I'm sure getaway is the same. It's the epic that the court yard is open

5 minutes ago, Yinster said:

Breakaway is definitely covered but can be converted to open. I'm sure getaway is the same. It's the epic that the court yard is open

I don’t believe the getaway haven courtyard is covered or has a retractable roof, but please correct me!

1 minute ago, Hadacareer said:

I don’t believe the getaway haven courtyard is covered or has a retractable roof, but please correct me!

No you are right. I only been on the breakaway but thought the getaway was a similar ship.

2 minutes ago, Yinster said:

No you are right. I only been on the breakaway but thought the getaway was a similar ship.

We are on the Getaway for a transatlantic but had not expected to get much use of the courtyard

2 hours ago, WorkNCruise said:

Hi, Long time lurker here making first post 🙂

As others have said there is very little difference in these ships.  I have sailed them both.  The Getaway in September of 2018 and Breakaway October 2019.

The only things that I can think of that are different is that the Getaway has a larger closed off section for the Vibe that has not been added to the Breakaway as of yet.  Also the Getaway has a Sugarcane Mojito Bar and that same place on the Breakaway is a Martini Bar.

Otherwise it comes down to decoration as the Getaway is Miami themed and the Breakaway is New York themed.

@WorkNCruise Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We have sailed on both several times since their Inaugural seasons.  For the first cruises, we enjoyed Getaway a little more due to the open air Flamingo Grill with it's Cuban inspired menu.  That venue was changed long ago and now both of these ships have an American Diner on deck 16.  

Breakaway has the Spiegel Tent entertainment venue and Getaway has the Illusionarium.   Both have Syd Norman's Pour house....which we love!   We have enjoyed both ships and are currently booked on Breakaway for this December plus the following December.  We plan on sailing on the Getaway in January.    

6 hours ago, Hadacareer said:

you are correct, the big Haven difference is Getaway is not covered at all, while the Breakaway has the retractable roof.  Although I’ve read the Breakaway roof can now only be opened or closed in port, so the retractable-ness is a bit limited. I wonder if they had a chance to fix that….