Rotterdam v. Volendam for Transatlantic

WisRiver

6 hours ago, idiebabe said:

the Pinnacle Class Ships with all the Specialty Dining, different lunch options on Lido and the Music Walk.

Major reasons to consider booking one of those ships.  

9 hours ago, aliaschief said:

but Antarctic cruises one might sense pretty cool hall way.

On my Zaandam cruise to this region, there were no issues anywhere on the ship as to the interior temperatures.

7 hours ago, tamsno said:

Volendam seemed old and past its prime in 2018 Panama Canal.  

2019/2020 Christmas/New Year's Cruise on the Volendam:  she delivered the cruise experience that I expected.  "Old and past its prime"?  I disagree.  Some of the "bells and whistles" of the newer Classes of ships?  Yes, they are missing.  I enjoy classic ships.  You seem not to do so.  There is nothing wrong with that difference of perspective.  The fact is that HAL has assigned Volendam's one year younger sister to its 2022 and 2023 World Cruises says to me that there is still considerable worth in this Class of ships.    

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cruzn single said:

but would love to go on Volendam!  Came across the Bering Sea in a Force 12 storm In 2011 and it was great!  

Do not recall the Force of the storm, (it was 2002 after all and that was a long time ago), but the Volendam was a good sea boat in the seas that we experienced as we were sailing, at times, in the aftermath of a typhoon.  We had at least 3 different experiences when King Neptune was quite upset.  Starting with the first day out of Vancouver, West of Vancouver Island.  

Her Sister, Zaandam, handled our crossings of Drake Passage just as well.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Do not recall the Force of the storm, (it was 2002 after all and that was a long time ago), but the Volendam was a good sea boat in the seas that we experienced as we were sailing, at times, in the aftermath of a typhoon. 

I wasn't aboard during that storm, but I remember hearing stories about it. Wow! It was quite a ride, based on what I heard. Even one of the entertainers was grabbing his life jacket---just in case. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Even one of the entertainers was grabbing his life jacket---just in case. 

Had not heard that before, but, I don't doubt it.  The storms were so severe that the Chief Engineer was injured and had to be disembarked at Dutch Harbor (which was not on our itinerary) along with the fugitive Priest from Los Angeles that the FBI was searching.  

I never felt the need to think about needing a life jacket.  Maybe just to dumb to do so?  🤣

34 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I never felt the need to think about needing a life jacket.  Maybe just to dumb to do so? 

Or too trusting that everything would be all right. Which, as it turned out, is exactly what happened! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Had not heard that before, but, I don't doubt it.  The storms were so severe that the Chief Engineer was injured and had to be disembarked at Dutch Harbor (which was not on our itinerary) along with the fugitive Priest from Los Angeles that the FBI was searching.  

I never felt the need to think about needing a life jacket.  Maybe just to dumb to do so?  🤣

…”disembarked at Dutch Harbor…along with the fugitive Priest from Los Angeles that the FBI was searching”… 

Love a good tale of the high seas!  Was he a passenger, stowaway, or the voyage’s onboard priest hired by HAL?

22 hours ago, RuthC said:

Or too trusting that everything would be all right. Which, as it turned out, is exactly what happened! 

RuthC, to be perfectly honest with you, I found all of the days of storms and rough seas to be exciting and so much different from what I have experienced to almost be enjoyable.  Never once had I any concern for my well being or safety.  Maybe the reassuring words from the "Voice from the Bridge" by Captain Jonathan Peter Harris and Cruise Director Gary Walker helped, I don't know.  This cruise was a very significant adventure for me.  King Neptune's displeasure during the Volendam's voyage was part of that adventure and a part of my memory that I treasure.  

We were booked on the spring TA last April 2020 on the Rotterdam. Since we have credits that need to be used,  I'm looking at something for April 2022 and I think the Volendam itinerary has fewer sea days and more interesting ports than the new Rotterdam.  We've been on the Volendam a number of times and enjoy the size.