Update on CunardCare® Travel Protection for New York residents

BklynBoy8

My DW got this general email from Cunard about changes for NY State Residents with the use of Cunard Care.

We have a call into our Travel Agent to see further information related to this to our 2022 Sailing we have booked already.

We what the alternatives are to coverage. We always felt confident having Cunard Care all this years.

I wonder if it has to do with this statement about the "At Ease Waiver Program" which I just found on the Cunard webpage for the CunardCare Guest Protection program.

CunardCare® is available to residents of the United States (except for the state of New York) and Canada (except for Quebec). The At Ease Waiver program is available for residents of New York, Quebec, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Bermuda.

• Thanks 1

New York has  very tough insurance laws and regulations. It is not uncommon for insurers offering coverage on national media to prevent residents of particular  states from accepting their offer due to those states’ insurance regulations. I’d really like to know the basis for this new policy; but I suspect some wrinkle in NY insurance law is the reason. It’s a real  nuisance whatever the reason. 😠

Compared to the 2018 version of Cunard Care, this "At Ease" program is a stripped down version.  I looked up the older version for New York which included secondary medical coverage and a worldwide assistance program:

image.png.2e8cb447bc5defcdee1e1e7542c6a539.png

No medical coverage, and a paltry $500for baggage.  The new coverage also requires 72hrs notice of cancellation.  Under the old program one could get a 75% future credit is they woke and and decided not to board that day. 

The obvious options are travel insurance policies purchased via a third party (which travel experts will argue are better coverage than policies obtained trough the cruise line, YMMV) such as squaremouth or insuremytrip. I will say that I once dealt with a medical emergency on a Cunard cruise with travel insurance via a third party and Cunard (actually, someone at Princess since it was a US booking) was still in contact with me on a daily basis in St Lucia until my wife was discharged from the hospital and my own insurance had completed travel arrangements getting us home. I don't know how they might have been able to intervene on my behalf but it wasn't as though I was at a severe disadvantage by not having Cunard Care.