A question for those of you who've just lost the $100 loyalty benefit.

A question for those of you who've just lost the $100 loyalty benefit.  

143 members have voted

1. 1. With the loss of your loyalty benefit, each new cruise will now basically cost you an additional $100. What will you do?

• Nothing. Prices are rising everywhere.
    • Complain via email/letter/phone
    • Cruise less
    • Cancel everthing/full refund

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, nocl said:

Keep in mind that they have not just given the money to Princess. In return Princess has delivered to them a product that they were happy with and was worth the price they paid.

It's not like all the money was wasted because of a couple of changes in benefits. They received the product they paid for.

DH and I have this discussion frequently. I believe, as you stated, that we have received good value for what we have spent by cruising with Princess. Still, I’m upset by the recent changes.  To me, they clearly show not only that Princess doesn’t value our loyalty but that they actually prefer guests who are NOT loyal to the company. That irritates the heck out of me. 

DH usages the analogy that if a car dealer has someone returning every year to purchase a new vehicle, it’s inane to believe that person wouldn’t be entitled to some special treatment.  And yet DH is less upset than I am about the changes. He is clearly still loyal to Princess even if the feeling is not reciprocated.  

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

I am feeling how the Elites felt.   For those who built Loyalty for so many years.  Many have sailed the same old ship several times because of the lack of itinerary.  With all their cruise eggs in one basket just to see the investment burst.  It cannot be measured by the $100 OBC being taken away.  It's the dream that was shattered. 

And again, I am not an Elite yet.

That is the saddest thing I have read. I can't imagine sacrificing a ship or destination just for some free laundry, internet minutes and $100. At one time Princess was our go to cruise line. When they stopped sailing from the Northeast to the Caribbean we decided to try Celebrity for their reposition cruise from San Juan to NY and their sailings to Bermuda. Recently we tried Royal Caribbean Anthem out of Cape Liberty for their 9 day itinerary. Since we didn't have to fly to Florida we were able to book balconies rather than the ocean views that we would book on Princess.  Princess drove us away by not providing us with an itinerary from a port we could drive to.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That is the saddest thing I have read. I can't imagine sacrificing a ship or destination just for some free laundry, internet minutes and $100. At one time Princess was our go to cruise line. When they stopped sailing from the Northeast to the Caribbean we decided to try Celebrity for their reposition cruise from San Juan to NY and their sailings to Bermuda. Recently we tried Royal Caribbean Anthem out of Cape Liberty for their 9 day itinerary. Since we didn't have to fly to Florida we were able to book balconies rather than the ocean views that we would book on Princess.  Princess drove us away by not providing us with an itinerary from a port we could drive to.

Well, frankly, that’s kind of sad too. Just saying. 

8 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

Many have sailed the same old ship several times because of the lack of itinerary. 

Well to put that in prospective... Princess is the only cruise line to home port for the cruise season at our port....  Itineraries are not a lot... we have mainly sailed on the Golden launch 2001 so it is older...

Yes we seamed to have put all the eggs in one basket ..... but does it matter ??

We cruise for the cruise ( ship board life ) and to relax....   and we are happy

Each to his or hers own.... some would say we are boring..

but the whole loyalty thing does not come into it when booking a cruise

11 hours ago, Bwana Tom said:

The free internet didn't cost them virtually anything;

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Why do people believe the Internet doesn't cost anything?

It does not cost Princess anything more for Elites to have free minutes since Princess is paying for the bandwith and the support team whether or not the Elites get this benefit.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, caribill said:

It does not cost Princess anything more for Elites to have free minutes since Princess is paying for the bandwith and the support team whether or not the Elites get this benefit.

Princess takes in money when we PAY for anything on-board rather then get it FREE or use OBC for it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

It does not cost Princess anything more for Elites to have free minutes since Princess is paying for the bandwidth and the support team whether or not the Elites get this benefit.

If more and more people have internet access for free and due to PLUS, they may need funds to invest in upgraded equipment to support more bandwidth some day.  (IDK if that is possible right now, but presumably improved satellites will be sent into orbit as time passes and ships may need newer equipment to take advantage - pure speculation/guessing). 

But on the surface, yes - their costs are pretty fixed for internet provision, depending on number of resources needed on each ship to help the tech-challenged guests.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, caribill said:

Maybe there is too much of my English minor in me, there is a difference between "it doesn't cost them anything" and "it doesn't cost them anything more."

Say Princess buys a 1gbps pipeline that costs $8,000 a day while at sea. That is a real cost just like booze. It would like saying, "they've already paid for the alcohol, so it doesn't cost anything to give it away for free."

Princess buys the bandwidth, not as a courtesy for passengers, but as a commodity to sell. If you have 1,300 Elites on a cruise and each is getting "free" minutes, Princess can wind up underwater on the cost of the bandwidth. I can guarantee you Princess isn't buying a single megabit more than they think they have to and they are probably buying less than they know they need based on the idea that all users wont be using all at once. It isn't like their needs are 250 mbps second and they are buying 1 gbps just to be good guys and now they are suddenly stingy with unused bandwidth they've already paid for.

In the past when people didn't use the Internet much other than maybe checking emails, Princess was probably under their allocation, but now, with people wanting to stream NetFlix on board I am willing to bet there is no unused bandwidth and they may be paying for excess bandwidth.

Bottom line, TANSTAAFL.

Edited by scottca075
  • Like 4

Norwegian now offers "internet" and or "streaming internet" so it seems they are already counting on different usages for certain users.  Obviously the cost is different and that is a smart thing to do based on what a customer plans to do with that internet.  Why buy streaming when you only want to check emails for example.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Well to put that in prospective... Princess is the only cruise line to home port for the cruise season at our port....  Itineraries are not a lot... we have mainly sailed on the Golden launch 2001 so it is older...

Yes we seamed to have put all the eggs in one basket ..... but does it matter ??

We cruise for the cruise ( ship board life ) and to relax....   and we are happy

Each to his or hers own.... some would say we are boring..

but the whole loyalty thing does not come into it when booking a cruise

We cruise for the same reason as you so the loyalty programs offered from any line never was a thought for us. All of these people who feel that the cruise line is doing them a disservice act like they didn't enjoy the product after sailing 16 plus cruises or whatever the amount of days it took to achieve elite. If they are only sailing to achieve the highest level and the best perks that would be a shame. The cruise line does not need to offer anything more than what you paid for so even with the new offering you are still getting some type of acknowledgement of your loyalty.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, gardening_guy said:

Norwegian now offers "internet" and or "streaming internet" so it seems they are already counting on different usages for certain users.  Obviously the cost is different and that is a smart thing to do based on what a customer plans to do with that internet.  Why buy streaming when you only want to check emails for example.  

It has been several years since I was on CCL, but at that time they offered three unlimited plans at three levels of pricing:

a) Social media only (and at that time social media was basically a few lines of text)

b) Browsing

c) Streaming

You paid for the level of access you wanted.

I have no idea of what they offer today.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

It has been several years since I was on CCL, but at that time they offered three unlimited plans at three levels of pricing:

a) Social media only (and at that time social media was basically a few lines of text)

b) Browsing

c) Streaming

You paid for the level of access you wanted.

I have no idea of what they offer today.

Princess did that too with the initial release of Medallion Net before they had Medallion Class voyages.  The packages of late have been one price for the voyage with access to all available functions.

• Thanks 1

I will never understand spending cruising time streaming Netflix. I can stream Netflix on an 82" TV in the comfort of my own home. Why would I pay to sail on a cruise ship and then spend that cruising time watching Netflix on a laptop, tablet, of phone?

The only thing I do that can be construed as Social Media is Cruise Critic. I see CC as something for when I'm not at sea. I don't really feel much need or desire to be here when I am there. We love cruising and being on the ship at sea. Dry land activities can stay on dry land.

My wife may post a few pics of the cruise since we will have Princess Plus and she can do so but I'm certain she won't be spending a lot of time on FB.

Full Disclosure: Yes, my wife may well catch a movie in the cabin. It's especially good when doing laundry as you can set your timer, watch a while, pause the movie, deal with the laundry, etc. If she's feeling tired she may even retire to the cabin and catch a movie there. I don't really equate those times to what I have referred to as "dry land activities".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dog said:

Princess takes in money when we PAY for anything on-board rather then get it FREE or use OBC for it. 

That depends on the source of the OBC. 

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If more and more people have internet access for free and due to PLUS, they may need funds to invest in upgraded equipment to support more bandwidth some day.  (IDK if that is possible right now, but presumably improved satellites will be sent into orbit as time passes and ships may need newer equipment to take advantage - pure speculation/guessing). 

But on the surface, yes - their costs are pretty fixed for internet provision, depending on number of resources needed on each ship to help the tech-challenged guests.

One would think if they’re pushing unlimited internet packages and Princess Plus, they already have the necessary bandwidth….but who knows, maybe they’ll cross that bridge when they get to it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I will never understand spending cruising time streaming Netflix. I can stream Netflix on an 82" TV in the comfort of my own home. Why would I pay to sail on a cruise ship and then spend that cruising time watching Netflix on a laptop, tablet, of phone?

The only thing I do that can be construed as Social Media is Cruise Critic. I see CC as something for when I'm not at sea. I don't really feel much need or desire to be here when I am there. We love cruising and being on the ship at sea. Dry land activities can stay on dry land.

My wife may post a few pics of the cruise since we will have Princess Plus and she can do so but I'm certain she won't be spending a lot of time on FB.

Full Disclosure: Yes, my wife may well catch a movie in the cabin. It's especially good when doing laundry as you can set your timer, watch a while, pause the movie, deal with the laundry, etc. If she's feeling tired she may even retire to the cabin and catch a movie there. I don't really equate those times to what I have referred to as "dry land activities".

I don't remember what Princess offers in terms of TV entertainment but Royal Caribbean offers pretty much nothing. Even then I didn't stream Netflix.  I did facetime my BIL and SIL who were sailing on a Princess cruise in the Caribbean at the same time we were sailing on Royal Caribbean. Some people do like to watch movies in the room late at night so I guess this allows them the option.  I get more use out of the drink package than the wifi but I would never not have the wifi. Now that you brought it up I would probably down load a movie to my tablet and sit in the laundry room waiting for the wash.

42 minutes ago, Thrak said:

It probably doesn't make any sense trying to figure out why other cruisers spend their time the way they do, even though most of us are guilty of that.  Everyone has their reasons that may seem silly without context.  Take me for example.  I will likely work anywhere from 30-60% on a given cruise.  Now you may think that is a stupid way to spend my time after paying for a cruise.  But what are my options?

1) Not take the cruise at all?

2) Knowing I can comfortably afford cruises, decide to work on ships and spend only some of the time doing "cruising stuff".

I opt for #2.  In my case, since I work hourly,I have the good fortune (even after taxes) of saving money even while I'm cruising after taking into account all of the costs.  I could save more money and just stay home, but to do so in my situation (no kids or obligations apart from work) would be the thing "I [would] never understand."

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I loved the MedallionNet internet on the Ruby Princess. First, it turned blogging into a different sport, but I also enjoyed watching videos in the cabin on nights when I was really tired, or sea days when it was bumpy. One of my favorite things was watching someone compete in a national cross country race via live stream when I was on a ship half way around the world. 

But the best part of MedallionNet was remembering just a few years ago when another poster here on Cruise Critic vehemently mansplained to me why there would never, EVER be high speed internet on a cruise ship and that clearly my MS in Telecommunications was worthless because I had the audacity to believe that there would be, and sooner rather than later. When we were floating somewhere around Vanuatu and I was steaming The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, I remembered that, and I laughed and laughed. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 1

Why doesn't Princess just make the cost of the cruise for everyone to include everything package.  Then there is no worries on their end.  Personally, we know people who go and get the package and drink all they can and that is the younger group, so they are loosing out on that.  I know our first cruise, we did all the tours, etc. and spent a lot as we did not know if we would ever go again, that was 29 years ago on  Royal Caribbean.  We have been cruising ever since.  We switched to Princess because of the OBC and loyalty credits, elite benefits.  Now, they dangled the carrot and took it away.  I think all of us are more upset about that than anything else.  Things we expected for our loyalty to them...helping Princess make money all these years and now they are taking things away.  One thing they need to remember...the younger crowd will go elsewhere for less cost of a cruise in an instance, as they don't care which line they go on, just the cheapest price.  Unfortunately, Princess owns Carnival and HAL, so they kinda have the market on things.  

I just told my DH we will be able to save more for our retirement as we will not be taking 30-45 day cruises each year.  Very sad, as we were looking forward to this and in a situation to do this more, but also counted on the OBC/loyalty benefits.  Still doing our 2022 cruise for 42 days, but seriously thinking about canceling 2023, prices have gone up so much and we are not getting anything back in return for loyalty.  

All cruise lines pretty much offer all the same thing, so pricing and OBC is very important.  Before this happened, we never even looked at Royal Caribbean again or any other line and just went with Princess.  They are putting a lot of doubt it current customers, which is making them price elsewhere.  I think this may hurt them in the long run.  

Truth be told, any young person does not want to do Princess as nitelife is over and they want parties, which is Carnival, NCL and RCL.  Part of Princess' success has been catering to the people who WANT to cruise with them.  I don't foresee in the near future them getting the younger crowd anytime soon to fill the ships without discounts in cruise pricing.  Just my opinion.

It is easy to dismiss $100 on a 7 day cruise, but times that by multiple and it adds up and what people count on.  It has to be spent on board and things are so overpriced that Princess is making so much on things anyways.  Just my opinion.  

39 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

It is easy to dismiss $100 on a 7 day cruise, but times that by multiple and it adds up and what people count on.  It has to be spent on board and things are so overpriced that Princess is making so much on things anyways.  Just my opinion.  

I'm not even sure I know what people are talking about when they talk about a $100 loyalty benefit. Perhaps someone will explain it. I know I have been getting $25 OBC on each cruise and that was going to go up to $50 next year. I thought that was what Princess was eliminating. Also, where has Princess been making so much? Princess has basically been out of business for over a year and has to be in debt over their heads? I think the military and shareholder benefits are still there. But, they could take those away along with the elite benefits and we would still consider Princess. All that loyalty stuff is a drop in the bucket compared to how much we spend on a cruise. Princess has been loyal to me by providing a good cruise experience time after time over the years. But, so has Celebrity and NCL. I expect we will be sailing more with NCL in the coming years, but that is due to NCL providing an experience that is more to our liking, such as entertainment and things to do. Just my opinion.

• Like 3

On 7/1/2021 at 11:51 PM, CineGraphic said:

It looks like emails started going out tonight. Folks are posting about it here:

Could you post the email.  We are Elite and didn’t receive anything.

53 minutes ago, billco said:

I'm not even sure I know what people are talking about when they talk about a $100 loyalty benefit. Perhaps someone will explain it. I know I have been getting $25 OBC on each cruise and that was going to go up to $50 next year. I thought that was what Princess was eliminating. Also, where has Princess been making so much? Princess has basically been out of business for over a year and has to be in debt over their heads? I think the military and shareholder benefits are still there. But, they could take those away along with the elite benefits and we would still consider Princess. All that loyalty stuff is a drop in the bucket compared to how much we spend on a cruise. Princess has been loyal to me by providing a good cruise experience time after time over the years. But, so has Celebrity and NCL. I expect we will be sailing more with NCL in the coming years, but that is due to NCL providing an experience that is more to our liking, such as entertainment and things to do. Just my opinion.

After so many cruises it goes up to the max of $100, you are not there yet.   Truth be told, we never knew about it until we found Cruise Critic.  We learned so much from everyone.  That $100 credit is probably equal to maybe $25 they are out of pocket.  Just my guess.

As far as making money, anyone who has gotten a drink, bottle of wine, spa treatment, excursion through Princess, knows it is way overpriced.  Yes, they are in it to make money; however, the credits they give are put toward those overpriced items, so I think they were breaking even.  Yes, it is difficult for all businesses with covid.  I did read somewhere that cruises said they still would make a profit if the ship was only 50% full.  We do splurge when we are on the ship, but save all year to do it and we appreciated the OBC/loyalty credits.  Just our opinion.  We have spent a lot with Princess through the years and the amount they gave in OBC was not much compared to that; however, it was a nice gesture on their part and showed they valued our business.

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

For me it’s only useful when it’s too cold or rainy to walk the outside decks and I’m stuck with the treadmill. Watching movies or TV makes that time go by a lot easier.  Outside I only need music or an audiobook. 

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Now that you brought it up I would probably down load a movie to my tablet and sit in the laundry room waiting for the wash.

I have a number of movies on my tablet and my phone. I was originally going to watch them on flights but never actually did so.

4 hours ago, mellon1 said:

I just told my DH we will be able to save more for our retirement as we will not be taking 30-45 day cruises each year.  Very sad, as we were looking forward to this and in a situation to do this more, but also counted on the OBC/loyalty benefits.  Still doing our 2022 cruise for 42 days, but seriously thinking about canceling 2023, prices have gone up so much and we are not getting anything back in return for loyalty.  

Really? You won't take the cruises you were looking forward to so much because of...  $100 OBC that you will no longer receive. Sounds to me like the old "biting off your nose to spite your face" thing. In the scheme of things a $100 credit on a 30-45 day cruise is a drop in the bucket. Yes, I'm sure it was nice and it was good to count on it but really... It's only $100.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1