THE BUFFET

adjustman

As of now Carnival ships are going out 95% vaccinated. This is the reason they can and should loosen up on so of these protocols. Their concern for health and safety are exactly they reasons they are sailing with 95% vaccinated.

• Like 3

Our local buffet restaurants supply clear gloves that MUST be worn when touching serving utensils. They are very easy to put on because the gloves are oversized. I imagine a cruise ship buffet will supply these gloves for passengers to use and make it mandatory for their use.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

No one has to eat at the buffet, no one has to cruise with Carnival. I know there are reports of gross things done by people at the buffet going back for year. Please share with us one scientific report that shows Covid being spread at the buffet. There are reports of waiters sprending it at Chinese resturants early in the pandemic. 

I think this was first proposed before it was know that Covid was an aerosol spread disease not a contact spread disease. But as a protection against norovirus, the policy still makes sense.

We have had a buffet that was served instead of self served on a HAL ship, and it is really no big deal.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I think this was first proposed before it was know that Covid was an aerosol spread disease not a contact spread disease. But as a protection against norovirus, the policy still makes sense.

We have had a buffet that was served instead of self served on a HAL ship, and it is really no big deal.

I agree, on HAL for the first few days the crew served most of the buffet items and I think this is a good idea. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I agree, on HAL for the first few days the crew served most of the buffet items and I think this is a good idea. 

I could be mistaken since it was almost 3 years ago, but I remember the buffet as not self serve the entire cruise. Of course, it was more as a protection against the spread of norovirus, not Covid as this was prepandemic.

10 hours ago, DGP1111 said:

I do get the gist of this comment within your post.  I truly do, but I also strongly disagree with it as a blanket statement. We, as consumers, absolutely must rely on the safety protocols of others for our own health, whether it be the things we can easily see, or those 'behind the scenes' we choose to trust.

I have a few cruises booked for the remainder of 2021, and will probably eat some items from the buffet on each one.  I hope to enjoy them as I have many times in the past, but if I see see a flagrant food service error on the other side of the glass, I will make a strong pass on it no matter if it eventually becomes self-serve or crew-serve.

For many years I've used this process: Serve with my right hand.  Eat with my left hand.

During the early height of [what I call] Cooties Season, there were a few very active online 'think tank' groups who discussed elements of bringing cruise vacations back to reality with an adjusted view based on what was going on.  I know that, at least, one included members from several cruise lines, as well one government agency, and some frequent cruisers, who gathered weekly for quite a while.  Very eye-opening.

One particular cruise line was thrown under the bus (with multiple pictures and videos) for a situation that routinely occurred in their buffet area for years.  It raised many eyebrows.  After a particular organization said it could/would become an additional part of their unannounced sanitation inspections, I personally imagine that becomes a necessary change being made that most passengers wouldn't even notice.  It had absolutely nothing to do specifically with COVID, but the timing offered a chance to request change for something that could greatly impact passenger health. 

In this instance, I rely on that cruise line to keep me from getting sick.

Agree, but you must keep in mind. What goes on behind closed doors? As a veteran I have no problems eating anything at the buffet. No cruiseline wants anyone to get sick. Not good for business. Makes no difference if you are on a ship or at a restaurant. Personally, the ship is probably better for cleanliness than a land restaurant.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I could be mistaken since it was almost 3 years ago, but I remember the buffet as not self serve the entire cruise. Of course, it was more as a protection against the spread of norovirus, not Covid as this was prepandemic.

Our HAL Alaskan cruise was 8 years ago so my information is dated. 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:34 AM, adjustman said:

Carnival's decision to let their customers serve themselves at the buffet is just another reason why i will not cruise Carnival line. This decision is another example where the Micky Arrison owned cruise line  has a flagrant disregard for the health and safety of its customers. The health of their customers should be their number one priority,  The arrogance of the cruise line not to enforce safety protocols boggles my mind after 15 months of lockdowns and deaths on Carnival owned ships.. Carnival gives cruise companies a bad name. I ask that Carnival look out fort the well being of their customers by enforcing safety protocols! Tom  

Bye then.  Likely wouldn’t be pleased no matter what they did.  I’ve never done buffets b/c of the germs and nastiness of some people.  But Covid has little impact as a reason when the ship is sailing vaccinated unlike competitor cruise lines.  Go ahead and cruise with them….much better off to risk Covid then germs at a buffet.  Makes perfect t sense to me! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I totally agree about the waste. So many times I see plates full of food left at the table. If it is something we would like to try, we take very little incase we do not like it. You can always go and get more. How many time do I see a person with a plate piled really high. I know it should not bother me but it does. In the service. Take what you want but eat what you take. Those signs should be in the buffet. So many starving around the world and people just toss the food in the trash. Shameful! Our local buffet is back to normal also.

For DW it is actually more wasteful when the buffet is served as she is always given more than she would have taken herself. (She is probably one of the few people in the world who loses weight basically every cruise we take.  As she is a teacher, we cruise in the summer when it is very hot, and we generally walk a lot in the ports. And she eats very little.)

And really, I understand your feeling, but people taking less food in the buffet would not really affect anyone else's starvation.

On 7/2/2021 at 10:34 AM, adjustman said:

Carnival's decision to let their customers serve themselves at the buffet is just another reason why i will not cruise Carnival line. This decision is another example where the Micky Arrison owned cruise line  has a flagrant disregard for the health and safety of its customers. The health of their customers should be their number one priority,  The arrogance of the cruise line not to enforce safety protocols boggles my mind after 15 months of lockdowns and deaths on Carnival owned ships.. Carnival gives cruise companies a bad name. I ask that Carnival look out fort the well being of their customers by enforcing safety protocols! Tom  

How dare they go back to normal. That’s what the goal has always been is to return to normal.

With everyone vaccinated (95% or higher) the buffets pose no more risk now than they did in the past.

Yay for Normal!! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

For DW it is actually more wasteful when the buffet is served as she is always given more than she would have taken herself. (She is probably one of the few people in the world who loses weight basically every cruise we take.  As she is a teacher, we cruise in the summer when it is very hot, and we generally walk a lot in the ports. And she eats very little.)

And really, I understand your feeling, but people taking less food in the buffet would not really affect anyone else's starvation.

I never suggested it would effect anyone's starvation. It is nothing more than a metaphor. I would hope that would have been realized. Not to be taken literally. I know your wife is the exception to the normal cruiser and that you can take to the bank.

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

So, what exactly do you have against X?

Absolutely nothing, I was trying to make a point.  I don't believe the OP is a Carnival cruiser at all, just complaining about Carnival on the Carnival board.  I wouldn't go to another board to complain about the other line if I don't even cruise with them.

• Like 1

If you hate buffets, your opinion hasn't changed....you hate buffets

I hate cafeterias. Reminds me of elementary school. I don't want to eat at a cafeteria.

Get what I want, as much or as little as I wish.

BUT....while we're complaining....I hate people who pile a mountain on their plate. THERE IS MORE!! I have never heard of a ship running out of food! Relax. Yes, you might have to waddle yourself up there a 2nd or 3rd (or 4th, 5th, 6th...etc....) time, but there will be food there. 

(My favorite is the crab leg jenga towers)

On 7/2/2021 at 3:53 PM, firefly333 said:

Man cant exist on guys burgers alone a wise man once said.

Well, fellow cruiser, I think I will attempt to prove that wise man wrong!

I'll admit, I'm NOT a fan of eating at any buffet.  But that's been since long before COVID.  With that being said, I find plenty of other options on a cruise, so it's all good with me.   

• Like 1

I was not aware that the buffet line killed ppl. who knew?

I do know that ppl were complaining because the buffets were going to be screwed up. Carnival made the buffets back to normal. Now, ppl are upset things are normal. 

You guys need a vacay more than I do. LOL!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

I was not aware that the buffet line killed ppl. who knew?

I do know that ppl were complaining because the buffets were going to be screwed up. Carnival made the buffets back to normal. Now, ppl are upset things are normal. 

You guys need a vacay more than I do. LOL!

If there are two (or more) alternatives, someone will always complain when the one they want is not picked. It's human nature.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sfaaa said:

With the new health protocol and sanitation practices, I actually think the entire ship is now a lot cleaner than it used to be pre COVID.

Totally agree. I always saw crew members cleaning all the time. Now I can just imagine they will be in the way 😉 We all do realize that no cruise line wants anyone sick for any reason. People have died on cruises and that is a fact. They just do not broadcast it. I would imagine it will be the same if someone is diagnosed with Covid19. I do not want to know. Why would I?

I appreciate being able to serve myself at the buffet and I am ready for Carnival to drop all protocols hopefully by the end of the year. No Vaccine, No Mask, No Restrictions. If it scares you, stay home. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, asalligo said:

I appreciate being able to serve myself at the buffet and I am ready for Carnival to drop all protocols hopefully by the end of the year. No Vaccine, No Mask, No Restrictions. If it scares you, stay home. 

I'll agree with 95% of your posting, with the exception of two words.