Freedom of the Seas - July 2, 2021

36 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

To my understanding after reading Royals rules about masking, the mask can be removed on the Royal Promenade only when eating or drinking when in their food venues. I do not think that rule applies when browsing inside a shop. I imagine, strolling on the Promenade while sipping on a cocktail would also exempt a person from wearing a mask.

Too much mask on, mask off, mask on, mask off, mask back on again, etc. I'm just not going to do that while on a cruise vacation. Sorry Royal, this Diamond Plus member will wait as long as it takes for your masking rules for FULLY VACCINATED people to go away...........FAR, FAR AWAY!

Bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

There are plenty of areas on board for mixed passengers so, for me, the masking is waaaaay too much. Just having to mask on the Royal Promenade is a huge turn off for me. Lucky for Royal, there are plenty of people who are very willing to mask up in areas of the ship that are for mixed (vaxxes/un-vaxxed) passengers.

I will be cruising on lines that offer 95% or greater vaxxed passengers on board. There are not mask requirements for fully vaxxed people anywhere on their ships.

To each their own. Seems like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I hate masking as well but dont spend much time on promenade without a drink in my hand anyways. The protocols are relaxing more each day. But I honestly dont know why people frequent these forums to let everyone know they wont cruise. Nobody cares…….

Edited by rtazz17
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rtazz17 said:

To each their own. Seems like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I hate masking as well but dont spend much time on promenade without a drink in my hand anyways. The protocols are relaxing more each day. But I honestly dont know why people frequent these forums to let everyone know they wont cruise. Nobody cares…….

I never said I will not cruise. I most certainly will cruise on lines that are sailing with 95% or greater vaccinated passengers. There are no pesky protocols for fully vaxxed passengers. The cruise experience I prefer does not include masking and distancing from others.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I imagine, strolling on the Promenade while sipping on a cocktail would also exempt a person from wearing a mask.

My understanding (and this is just from what I've read as I was not on the ship) is that you can only take the mask off while consuming food or beverage while seated. Walking around with a drink in your hand cannot be used as an excuse to go maskless in areas that require it.

• Like 3

👍

• Like 3

The RC Blog has an FAQ on the freedom sailing. One thing it mentions was a conversation with the Royal CEO onboard where he hints at upcoming CDC guidance that lowers the vax rate to 75%. Meaning if at least 75% of the ship is vaccinated then the vaccinated people don't have to wear a mask anywhere on board. Unvaccinated would still need to wear masks.

Take this with several grains of salt until it is confirmed or becomes official. As of now it's just heresay

Edited by jrapps
  • Like 1

Maybe you should speak for yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jrapps said:

My understanding (and this is just from what I've read as I was not on the ship) is that you can only take the mask off while consuming food or beverage while seated. Walking around with a drink in your hand cannot be used as an excuse to go maskless in areas that require it.

Sorry to hear that. That is just not acceptable me as I'm fully vaxxed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrapps said:

The RC Blog has an FAQ on the freedom sailing. One thing it mentions was a conversation with the Royal CEO onboard where he hints at upcoming CDC guidance that lowers the vax rate to 75%. Meaning if at least 75% of the ship is vaccinated then the vaccinated people don't have to wear a mask anywhere on board. Unvaccinated would still need to wear masks.

Take this with several grains of salt until it is confirmed it becomes official. As of now it's just heresay

What makes no sense is that on land vaccinated people don't have to mask inside or out. The CDC has turned back time by months with their cruise ship mandates.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What makes no sense is that on land vaccinated people don't have to mask inside or out. The CDC has turned back time by months with their cruise ship mandates.

Not going to comment on whether it makes sense or not (let's be respectful of the new Covid discussion rules). I just posted what I read. It's all conjecture until someone official states it.

I look at it this way. These are Royal's ships, and THEY get to set the rules. If they feel that out of an abundance of caution everyone must be masked in certain venues irregardless of vaccine status, then those are the rules that passengers must agree to abide by. WE don't get to decide which rules make sense and which ones do not. If we don't like the rules, then we should not be on the cruise. It is not appropriate to go on the cruise knowing we cannot abide by their rules and expecting RCI to make exceptions for you. Once you step on that ship it is not a democracy where your opinion will be asked about how to run the cruise. It is 'their way or the highway' so live with it or spend your money in a venue that you like better. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jrapps said:

Take this with several grains of salt until it is confirmed or becomes official. As of now it's just heresay

Thanks, figured Masking of Vax passengers would be around just for this short start up period

13 minutes ago, cello56 said:

I look at it this way. These are Royal's ships, and THEY get to set the rules. If they feel that out of an abundance of caution everyone must be masked in certain venues irregardless of vaccine status, then those are the rules that passengers must agree to abide by. WE don't get to decide which rules make sense and which ones do not. If we don't like the rules, then we should not be on the cruise. It is not appropriate to go on the cruise knowing we cannot abide by their rules and expecting RCI to make exceptions for you. Once you step on that ship it is not a democracy where your opinion will be asked about how to run the cruise. It is 'their way or the highway' so live with it or spend your money in a venue that you like better. 

No one is arguing that RCI gets to set the rules. I see people posting that if the rules don't suit them then they won't go. Then you get the group that have to fire back at them with their little snarky remarks. So typical.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Thenagers said:

A certain blogger told people this weekend that the head honchos told him that the CDC guidelines should be loosening on masks  soon! Fingers crossed. They usually make those announcements on Thursdays and Fridays. 

Surely royal must be counting on or atleast hopeful that this will be happening. Obviously they are having no problems booking their limited low occupancy sailings for the next couple months but one has to think this is mostly due to FCC'S. I think people are much more likely to tolerate the protocols if they are using FCC'S that they have been sitting on for over a year. People may be a bit more reluctant to make new bookings especially as word gets out about the masking etc. Everything has been so confusing and back and forth I think a lot of vaccinated folks may very well be in for a surprise with the protocols. Not everyone reads cruisecritic every day in an "attempt" to keep up with all of this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thenagers said:

A certain blogger told people this weekend that the head honchos told him that the CDC guidelines should be loosening on masks  soon! Fingers crossed. They usually make those announcements on Thursdays and Fridays. 

Delete

Edited by zpdw484
Duplicate post

Can someone tell me If there was trivia and if so where was that held? Was there any adult comedy shows and could unvaccinated guests attend? Lastly, was there an escape room? Sorry for all the questions but  I did not see this info on the uploaded daily brochures. I’m on the July 15th sailing. Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

Just follow the rules and stop making excuses.  The crew should be able to just glance at someone’s wrist to see if they are vaccinated, not have to scan their entire body to see if they have it pinned on somewhere.  

my 10 year old didn’t want to wear their wristband either to go to the local water park. Guess what, after finding out we weren’t going, they changed their tune pretty quick. I suggest you do the same. 

Geeze, who got your panties in a bind?

I was just offering suggestions to people who wanted alternatives. 

I'll wear the band, pinned prominently on my clothing. Easier than being stopped and asked about the band when my hands are in my pockets. Or is this not allowed?

I'm not your 10 year old (thank god). You can't tell me what to do.

• Like 1

I see wearing the bands on the wrists even if I don’t like it or not as making it easier for the crew. The crew will automatically be looking at the wrists and if it isn’t there they will have to look elsewhere or stop you. Why make it harder on the crew when they have enough to do? It’s only for a week.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, cello56 said:

Off topic- your dog is adorable!!!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:51 AM, mauraoel said:

Like I said he will do what he must but I think there is a discussion to be had if you seapass does the same thing why do we need them.  I will be specifically asking when they hand them out to us the the question that I have expressed on this thread.

I’m not sure why there needs to be a discussion.  Royal has determined a protocol for their business, and anyone who chooses to sail has to abide by it.  Pretty simple. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

No one is arguing that RCI gets to set the rules. I see people posting that if the rules don't suit them then they won't go. Then you get the group that have to fire back at them with their little snarky remarks. So typical.

To be fair, there are posts in this thread that indicate the poster intends to discuss the policy when on board with crew — which implies they plan on going AND “arguing” with RCI about the rules.  Or posters intend to wear the wristband in a manner other than it seems RCI has determined — which is another form of arguing the rules.  Maybe RCI doesn’t care if it’s pinned on your shirt rather than worn on your wrist -  I have no idea — but none of those people are saying they won’t go, they are saying they plan on modifying the rules to suit their preference.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, jrapps said:

Wow that would be a really low bar.

Our local news here was pushing get your vaccine maybe because it's a holiday. I was surprised they said 99% of those in the hospital for covid are unvaxxed. Pretty startling.

I'm not on rcl until dec and I'm sure things will keep on changing. No pt in figuring it out yet.

6 hours ago, Billy Fidernot said:

Can someone tell me If there was trivia and if so where was that held? Was there any adult comedy shows and could unvaccinated guests attend? Lastly, was there an escape room? Sorry for all the questions but  I did not see this info on the uploaded daily brochures. I’m on the July 15th sailing. Thanks in advance!

The app may have answers for most of your questions ( look at the current sailing).

On 7/3/2021 at 5:46 PM, mauraoel said:

And if they want to see my seapass I will show it to them. I will say I don't want to argue with you but the last time I said that the responder basically said that I was by just replying.

My husband asks what happens when our wristband is miss placed?  Yeah guest services should be able to replace it but if I am in a rush for a scheduled activity I really have to go hunting for a replacement?  I don't think they will be required 24/7 yes it makes it easier for the staff but in a pinch they have a way to confirm my status without it.

Post from cruisers that sound like this make my decision to stay home and do land trips more acceptable each time I read about the "picked on" privileged few who do their best to complain about everything on a cruise

• Like 4
  • Haha 1