Price fluctuations

Reef Knot

I’ve been tracking prices for the Silver Dawn sailing  Manaus - Fort Lauderdale next March.

Started in August 2020 at £6390 then the price increased to £6840 through to Jan this year when it went up to £7290, then last week the price dropped to £6540 

I’m guessing the the drop in price is due to lack of bookings?  or is it normal to play with the price . 

With the current Silversea cancellation policy, I would think that anyone who booked in the first half of this year at £7290 will likely cancel and rebook for saving of £750 per person?  Or am I missing something?

4 hours ago, Reef Knot said:

I’ve been tracking prices for the Silver Dawn sailing  Manaus - Fort Lauderdale next March.

Started in August 2020 at £6390 then the price increased to £6840 through to Jan this year when it went up to £7290, then last week the price dropped to £6540 

I’m guessing the the drop in price is due to lack of bookings?  or is it normal to play with the price . 

With the current Silversea cancellation policy, I would think that anyone who booked in the first half of this year at £7290 will likely cancel and rebook for saving of £750 per person?  Or am I missing something?

Typically if Silversea does anything with pricing is has had the tendency to increase.  I haven’t been tracking any cruises or fares so not sure what is going on now.  Caveat here is my experience was watching Silversea fares is all pre-pandemic and before RCCL took they over.  With Silversea’s fare guarantee if somebody booked at a higher fare Silversea should lower the fare fir them.  As I recall it’s not automatic and has to be requested by the passenger.   

Do you think it might have something to do with currency fluctuations?  Doesn't Silversea set their fares at USD/CAD?  Not sure, just a possible guess.  Others on this forum who reside outside the US and Canada may know if they have noticed the prices going up and down depending on the exchange rates.

5 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Typically if Silversea does anything with pricing is has had the tendency to increase.  I haven’t been tracking any cruises or fares so not sure what is going on now.  Caveat here is my experience was watching Silversea fares is all pre-pandemic and before RCCL took they over.  With Silversea’s fare guarantee if somebody booked at a higher fare Silversea should lower the fare fir them.  As I recall it’s not automatic and has to be requested by the passenger.   

Is the price guarantee written in SilverSeas invoicing or brochures?

3 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Do you think it might have something to do with currency fluctuations?  Doesn't Silversea set their fares at USD/CAD?  Not sure, just a possible guess.  Others on this forum who reside outside the US and Canada may know if they have noticed the prices going up and down depending on the exchange rates.

It's the same decrease in US dollars

Check "What's Included" as these can change. Recently SS removed included air from a number of cruises and then the prices decreased. Also, I noticed some that previously did not include shore excursions now include them and prices increased dramatically - approximately +$100/day. 

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Is the price guarantee written in SilverSeas invoicing or brochures?

This is from the FAQ page on Silversea’s website:

Silversea Fare Guarantee Programme

Silversea’s Fare Guarantee Programme applies only to guests booking Silver Privilege Fares on or after November 1st, 2012 for all voyages commencing on or after June 1st, 2013. Guests will be eligible for reimbursement if the Silver Privilege Fare for their particular voyage and suite category is reduced after they have made a booking and deposit with Silversea and Silversea has received their written request for a fare adjustment prior to their sailing date. Requests for reimbursement received on or after the sailing date will be denied. Reimbursement provided under this guarantee will be in the form of a shipboard credit, suite upgrade, future cruise credit, fare reduction or other method. Silversea reserves the sole right to determine the method of reimbursement made to guests. The amount of reimbursement the guests receive will be determined by the difference between the Silver Privilege Fare actually paid by the guest and the Silver Privilege Fare displayed on Silversea.com the day the request is received is by Silversea.

Well maybe something changed, but our cruise in 2019, the price dropped and although I had already paid (in full I believe) they honored the price reduction and issued me a credit. 

13 minutes ago, bobolz said:

Well maybe something changed, but our cruise in 2019, the price dropped and although I had already paid (in full I believe) they honored the price reduction and issued me a credit. 

That’s the way it worked for us the one time there was a price reduction after we had paid in full. That was given in the form of an onboard credit.  We also got a lower price for a cruise on which we’d only paid the deposit.  That was honored in the form of a reduced final payment.  👍 That’s consistent with their stated policy.

Edited by Randyk47

5 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

This is from the FAQ page on Silversea’s website:

Silversea Fare Guarantee Programme

Silversea’s Fare Guarantee Programme applies only to guests booking Silver Privilege Fares on or after November 1st, 2012 for all voyages commencing on or after June 1st, 2013. Guests will be eligible for reimbursement if the Silver Privilege Fare for their particular voyage and suite category is reduced after they have made a booking and deposit with Silversea and Silversea has received their written request for a fare adjustment prior to their sailing date. Requests for reimbursement received on or after the sailing date will be denied. Reimbursement provided under this guarantee will be in the form of a shipboard credit, suite upgrade, future cruise credit, fare reduction or other method. Silversea reserves the sole right to determine the method of reimbursement made to guests. The amount of reimbursement the guests receive will be determined by the difference between the Silver Privilege Fare actually paid by the guest and the Silver Privilege Fare displayed on Silversea.com the day the request is received is by Silversea.

Thanks for the information, this well be by first cruise on Silverseas.

Our upcoming cruise on the Moon in March/April 2022 will be our first Silversea cruise and this post generated much helpful info regarding the reasons for price fluctuations.  Sorry for my initial reply Reef Knot - I wasn't sure if prices were affected by exchange rates.  It certainly pays to monitor your cruise online.

6 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Our upcoming cruise on the Moon in March/April 2022 will be our first Silversea cruise and this post generated much helpful info regarding the reasons for price fluctuations.  Sorry for my initial reply Reef Knot - I wasn't sure if prices were affected by exchange rates.  It certainly pays to monitor your cruise online.

It really does, on another line we saved $1000.00 and got a SBC go $1000.00 because of a price change.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 5:46 AM, Randyk47 said:

Excuse my ignorance as I have yet to sail Silversea.   How does one check the price?     Every site I go to when I click prices it has a box to have a consultant call me. 

I'm sure I could call them or my agent and get prices but sometimes just like to browse and get a good idea of prices and itinerary instead of feel pressured to make a decision on the spot.

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Excuse my ignorance as I have yet to sail Silversea.   How does one check the price?     Every site I go to when I click prices it has a box to have a consultant call me. 

I'm sure I could call them or my agent and get prices but sometimes just like to browse and get a good idea of prices and itinerary instead of feel pressured to make a decision on the spot.

Silversea has made it difficult to check cabin category prices.  It wasn’t always like this but I checked and indeed they just state a starting fare with no details and require you ask for a quote.  What I would do is find an Internet based agency that books Silversea and see if they have the by category cabin cost.  Since Internet agencies have to at least use the published fare their posted fares aren’t discounted so it should be useful.  Unfortunately the forum rules don’t allow mentioning a specific agent or agency I can’t point you to one I trust.   

1 minute ago, Randyk47 said:

Silversea has made it difficult to check cabin category prices.  It wasn’t always like this but I checked and indeed they just state a starting fare with no details and require you ask for a quote.  What I would do is find an Internet based agency that books Silversea and see if they have the by category cabin cost.  Since Internet agencies have to at least use the published fare their posted fares aren’t discounted so it should be useful.  Unfortunately the forum rules don’t allow mentioning a specific agent or agency I can’t point you to one I trust.   

Thanks --- I've tried a couple online agencies also and get the same.   They often show the lowest price of the cruise but no details of which level suite the price is for.  

I have a pretty good agent that I have used for years who I'm sure will give me quotes with no pressure.    I'm just one of those tehno nerds that like to do my own research.     I usually just book and then transfer the booking to my agent for OBC's and servicing.

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

How does one check the price?

20 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Silversea has made it difficult to check cabin category prices.

I’m not following the two of your troubles.  I just went to the SS website and selected Colonel Wes’s transatlantic and up came the price for every single suite category, just like it always does.  Took less than 30-seconds.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I’m not following the two of your troubles.  I just went to the SS website and selected Colonel Wes’s transatlantic and up came the price for every single suite category, just like it always does.  Took less than 30-seconds.

Then the site may not be consistent.  I tried Alaska and the Med and got a base fare and the “request a quote”.    No breakdown by cabin category.  

UPDATE:  My bad.  I did not see the “Suites and Fares” button at the bottom of the page.  Indeed if you click that you can see by cabin category prices.   

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks --- I've tried a couple online agencies also and get the same.   They often show the lowest price of the cruise but no details of which level suite the price is for.  

I have a pretty good agent that I have used for years who I'm sure will give me quotes with no pressure.    I'm just one of those tehno nerds that like to do my own research.     I usually just book and then transfer the booking to my agent for OBC's and servicing.

I messed up.  Pick a cruise and at the bottom of the page there is “Suites and Fares”.  Click on that and you can see the cabin category fares.    

1 hour ago, Randyk47 said:

Then the site may not be consistent.  I tried Alaska and the Med and got a base fare and the “request a quote”.    No breakdown by cabin category.  

UPDATE:  My bad.  I did not see the “Suites and Fares” button at the bottom of the page.  Indeed if you click that you can see by cabin category prices.   

Whew!  Glad you figured it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I think  I figured it out.    Not sure what you mean by Colonel Wes's Transatlantic as I've never sailed SilverSeas and don't find a ship by that name.  

I did check other TA's and initial just got a screen that said request a quote.     I later noticed a little link (non-intuitive) for suites and fares that shows all the fares. ----

image.png.2abbe71eaa2a10ef6c6f2006d40df24b.png

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not sure what you mean by Colonel Wes's Transatlantic as I've never sailed SilverSeas and don't find a ship by that name.  

🤣🤣🤣 Thanks for the laugh Jim!

Wes, I found someone who doesn’t know who you are!  Maybe SS will name one of the new Evolution Class ships after you so I don’t confuse people in the future.

Sorry Jim.  I don’t know how more intuitive a link could be that actually has the words “suites” and “fares” in it.  Seems to me that is where the prices for each suite type would be, but that’s just me.  Good luck getting the prices you seek.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

🤣🤣🤣 Thanks for the laugh Jim!

Wes, I found someone who doesn’t know who you are!  Maybe SS will name one of the new Evolution Class ships after you so I don’t confuse people in the future.

Sorry Jim.  I don’t know how more intuitive a link could be that actually has the words “suites” and “fares” in it.  Seems to me that is where the prices for each suite type would be, but that’s just me.  Good luck getting the prices you seek.

All I can say to your snarky reply is that most if not all sites except Silerseas makes it easy by clicking a single button instead of going to the bottom of the screen and looking for a 12 point link.

Receiving such a warm welcome, I thinking that Silverseas may not be the line for us.   I think we wold prefer a line where the participants don't berate me for asking a simple question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1