The Daily for Saturday Jul 03, 2021

richwmn

Good morning everyone. I would like my mirror to compliment me. I’ve lost 5 pounds during the month of June. I have a long ways to go still. We are in a holding pattern until we hear the results of our appeal which I know in my gut will be denied. We are ready with the names of three sub acute rehabs to give them in that case. If we don’t find a place quickly, I will wind up having to pay for Kessler out of pocket. I can’t even imagine what an astronomical fee that will be. 

Carol

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I would like my mirror to compliment me. I’ve lost 5 pounds during the month of June. I have a long ways to go still. We are in a holding pattern until we hear the results of our appeal which I know in my gut will be denied. We are ready with the names of three sub acute rehabs to give them in that case. If we don’t find a place quickly, I will wind up having to pay for Kessler out of pocket. I can’t even imagine what an astronomical fee that will be. 

Carol

🙏🏻 that things work out for you, Carol 🙏🏻 🤲 🙏🏻 

@ger_77our condolences on the loss of your friend 😢 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Rich thank you for the Daily. I look forward to it soon as my coffee is ready.

Roy I'm so happy the Celebration list is longer than the Prayers list. I find myself praying for both each morning. I love to pray!

Thanks to our F & B ladies and Jacqui for their contributions. 

Gerry I'm sorry to hear of your friends passing.

All of my chores are complete. We have a lazy day. Farmer's market and lunch after. 86 due today with rain in the forecast. 80 to 90%, so looks promising. 

My niece and her beau work as teachers and have some summertime days off. They are really Park Hopping. They left from San Diego, hiking and camping thru Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Utah. Hitting as many parks as possible. Glacier, Grand Tetons, Arches, Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Just arrived in Yellowstone last night. 

image.png.8e8c61f999057dd68dfc8bd62fd29b83.png

Have a safe and happy day. Prayers and Cheers!

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Good  morning  from  a  cool  and  rainy  NY. Thanks  to  all  for  the  Daily. @kazu. I should  know  better  by  now  but  I  almost  sprayed  coffee  all  over  the  computer when  I  read  your comics  and  memes! Thank  you  for  a  good  laugh. I too was  like  the  bird  who  did  nothing  yesterday  and  I  blamed  the  excessive  humidity as  well.

Beer  runs  were  part  of  my  misspent youth and served  their  purpose  at  the  time. We  have  two  large  parks  nearby  that  have  been  so  essential  in  these  pandemic  times.  Fred  the  dog  and  I  are  frequent  visitors  and  could  hop  over  later  if  the  rin  stops.

And  now  on  the  GOOD  news  front: the  baby  was  transferred  to  a  local NICU  and  continues  to  do  well. My  DN(grandma) was  able  to  hold  the  baby  for  the  first  time! Her  son(the  papa)is  expected  home  from  the  sea  on  Wednesday.We  are  all  very  hopeful  for  the  future.

I  like  the  recipe  but  do  not  want  to  go  to  a  store  again  any  time  soon. I  went  to  our  local  supermarket  yesterday  for  a  few  things  and it  felt  like sardines  in  the  can  in  there. It  is  always  a  little  crowded  but I  guess  everyone  needed  a  few  things  too!

I  love  the  Darwin  pictures  so  far. Thanks

@ger_77, so  sorry  about  your  friend  but  I  am  glad  people  can  come  to  the memorial at  least.

Terry

• Like 25

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Rich thank you for the Daily. I look forward to it soon as my coffee is ready.

Roy I'm so happy the Celebration list is longer than the Prayers list. I find myself praying for both each morning. I love to pray!

Thanks to our F & B ladies and Jacqui for their contributions. 

Gerry I'm sorry to hear of your friends passing.

All of my chores are complete. We have a lazy day. Farmer's market and lunch after. 86 due today with rain in the forecast. 80 to 90%, so looks promising. 

My niece and her beau work as teachers and have some summertime days off. They are really Park Hopping. They left from San Diego, hiking and camping thru Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Utah. Hitting as many parks as possible. Glacier, Grand Tetons, Arches, Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Just arrived in Yellowstone last night. 

image.png.8e8c61f999057dd68dfc8bd62fd29b83.png

Have a safe and happy day. Prayers and Cheers!

18400.jpeg

• Like 24

Good afternoon and thank you for today's daily and care reports.

It has been raining most of the day.

We have had a light lunch and sitting looking over parkland with Wynyard hall in the background hidden by tree's.

I like a beer and we enjoy Park Hopping at Walt Disney world Florida seeing a couple of parks during the day.

Seafood salad is lovely.

Australia is on our wishlist next.

Happy Independence Day Eve to all who celebrate it.

Graham.

16253196963913658185258621344760.jpg

16253207092911777970852924604718.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 22

@dfishloved that sunset photo!  Outstanding!

@ger_77I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's passing.  Much too early at only 65.

@Seasick Sailorwhat a sweet photo of your niece and her beau visiting our wonderful parks.  Stunning shot!

@smitty34877sounds like baby Camilla will be coming home very soon.  Her Daddy will be so happy to see her finally.  And Mama getting to hold her must have been the best feeling.  Prayers things continue to go well for that family.

@grapau27 glad to hear you don't let a little rain stop you from your adventures.  Have fun!

I forgot to mention my mirror story today.  Yesterday at the hair salon I asked for a new shorter cut so right now looking in the mirror is a whole new experience.  I like it!  And if I don't want to see the wrinkles and bags I just don't put on my glasses.  It's like using a filter on Instagram!  LOL😂

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Interesting selection of days.  I like the Mark Twain quote.  Unfortunately, I've never been to Darwin.  I'll pass on the Seafood Salad.  My alternative is Sunset Salad, Chicken Breast with Israeli Couscous, and NSA Strawberry Ice Cream, my guess of what I might have had on MS Zaandam July 3, 2002 (Glacier Bay day) based on my 2014 Statendam menus.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires, Especially Lyttlon

Mamaofami rehab center problems

Bennybear DSILrecovering from surgery for aggressive cancer
First responder in Surfside, Florida recovering own child
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina awaiting radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale
wandb DS with great cat scan results
Explorer OTS housing Surfsice first responders
great scan result for wandb sister
Laseyv and son in Sedonia for a week
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Carol’s children standing up for their father
Miss Camila about ready to move to NICU closer to family

Dfish in Michigan

CrazyforCats in Pennsylvania

HorizonChaser1857 visiting DS in Okanagan

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy thanks for updating your lists.  With the reduction of four ships and eight captains looking for assignments, Sabine's promotion might be delayed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

Happy Saturday.  Never compliment my mirror, love the Beer Run Day, and Hop a Park?

Excellent quote by Mark Twain.

Love the menu suggestion.

Have not been to today's port.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  So happy to see ships sailing again.

Continue to stay safe, keep your distance, and wear your mask for safety.

Paloma:

Kosher salt
1 grapefruit wedge
¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup mescal or tequila
¼ cup club soda
Preparation
Step 1
Pour some kosher salt on a plate. Rub half of rim of a highball glass with grapefruit wedge; dip rim of glass in salt. Combine grapefruit juice, lime juice, and sugar in glass; stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in mescal, add ice, and top off with club soda. Garnish with grapefruit wedge.

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 6.45.47 AM.png

I never heard of this one before.!  Thank you for sharing it. 

• Like 3

Thanks Rich and all Dailyites. Have a safe holiday. I think the drink sounds refreshing and I like the second version as it seems simpler. Now to figure out where to get grapefruit soda.  I do miss reading all the travel blogs including the grand trips, but I decided that life is too short to just read others travel blogs. I will be cruising during the holidays this year then Alaska one more time and then my dream trips. South America in 2023 and the world in 2024. Then who knows. As long as I don’t look in the mirror I can believe I’m still young and capable. 

• Like 23

Good morning from a cloudy and soon rainy central Texas.  Heard on one of the DFW weather reports that this was the first June since 2007 that the temperature did not reach 100F. Wish we could have shared our lower temps with the PNW and western Canada last week.

An interesting collection of days.  I'm not sure aout my mirrow, but looking without my reading glasses helps.  I'm at the point where I need the glasses to put n my eye make-up, but of course, you cannot put it on with glasses on.  Makes for some interesting mornings.  🤣

The meal sounds good, but fresh seafood is hard to find in central Texas.  And I also don't want to go to the store this weekend.  I went yesterday, and it was busy but not as crowded as it could have been.  I'm' not pressing my luck today.

I will pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice, especially the price. 

Really like the Mark Twain quote.

@ger_77  Our condolences on the loss of your friend.

@kazu  Love the memes and I look at them before I get anything to drink.

@rafinmd  Will definitely celebrate the longer celebration list.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope the business with the rehab facility gets straigthened out soon and with good results.  

@smitty34877  Great that Camilla is closer to home and doing so well.  Glad that your niece got to hold her.

@aliaschief Enjoy your busy week with your DGD.  If she still takes a nap in the afternoon, plan to join her so you can keep up. 😉

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for the pictures of Darwin.  We were there in 2002, and the port area was more industrial than geared for tourists, with no elevator up to the town.

Darwin was a port on our 2002 Volendam Asia Pacific Explorer Cruise.  We were there on October 30, and the hot, humid season had not started then.  We did not look at the town, but as per our usual port day, we rented a car and explored the surrounding area.

Giant termite mounds were along the highway.  DH, who is 6'1" stood next to it, and it towered over his head.  

IMG_1814.thumb.JPG.fea80d72cc3af07604dfc8cd80b798a3.JPG

Our first stop was a nature/animal preserve, that could have been in one of the national parks near Darwin.  These are some of the local residents.

IMG_1817.thumb.JPG.33e6fd60ce4ba3c1fa11771b41338049.JPG

IMG_1823.thumb.JPG.bb537e9652fc159e02cd8a137cb2293c.JPG

IMG_1843.thumb.JPG.781a64fa21b4ac6183019ad416e6d8e9.JPG

On the way back to Darwin, we detoured to take a river cruise to see the jumping crocodiles.  I'll repost the picture of the croc.

IMG_1854.thumb.JPG.e0d6bb5b0ece6dd8489a6e91be87c6aa.JPG

Our final stop that day was the Mindil Beach Sunset Market.  It was the last night of the market until the next April.  There were all types of crafts, clothing, food, and even didgeridoos for sail.  As we walked around, we sampled kanagroo (which isn't bad, but does not taste like chicken) and crocodile, which tastes somewhat like alligator.  DH bought a didgeridoo, which the vendor promised he'd ship to our house in Texas, since we couldn't haul it back on the plane.  His comment when we left, was that we may have wasted our money.  When we walked in the house after the cruise, the didgeridoo was on the couch.  Let's just say, he can make a noise with it.

A few scens of the sunset market.

IMG_1861.thumb.JPG.feed63f04ed378212aa3bfc028d06556.JPG

IMG_1868.thumb.JPG.455974968246e8a777c7f9fc00d52d85.JPG

IMG_1862.thumb.JPG.03d8ea646ed6f4be5e2222162023d0fb.JPG

Mindil Beach

IMG_1863.thumb.JPG.c6f313aee99379984d3b9bc4f0a49375.JPG

A local band to entertain the shoppers.

IMG_1866.thumb.JPG.a8137b21918354db85f6eeb2b9f16412.JPG

Another local group to enjoy as we reboarded the Volendam.

IMG_1869.thumb.JPG.163a93f37e5acd18e5f43addbb3cf0d4.JPG

At dinner that night, kangaroo was on the menu.  No one wanted to order it, but after we told them we'd tasted it at the market, the table decided to order one kanagroo dinner and share it between the six of us.

The cruise was during the time the LA port locked the longshorement out, so the Volendam could not get the containers of food that were sitting on the LA dock shipped to the various ports.  The HD, F&B manager, and executive chef went shopping in most of our ports around Asia and Australia.  We had good, and interesting things show up on the menu.  We heard that our food did not go to waste, but to the Veendam.

Upon our arrival in LA the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, the longshoremen were working, but were protesting the lockout by unloading the ship one piece of luggage at a time by hand.  We could not get off the ship until well after 1 pm., so the executive chef and the Lido cooks quickly fixed a modified lunch for everyone.  Needless to say, just about all the passengers missed their flights.  We did get out that day, as the ticket agent at LAX did not want extra passengers the next day.  Oh. the adventures of travelling are not for the faint of heart, but do make travelling interesting.

Lenda

• Like 30

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

I will wind up having to pay for Kessler out of pocket. I can’t even imagine what an astronomical fee that will be. 

Carol,

Kessler is expensive.  But extremely good.  They are also very selective in the patients they allow into their facilities. Or, at least they were when I was admitted in 2010.  My experience was at their West Orange facility.

Charles

Edited by ChaCr
  • Like 5

🇺🇲Happy Fourth of July Weekend! 👍Thank you to Rich @richwmnfor The Daily and to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration Lists. 😊

We were in Darwin (🚢Volendam) in 2014.😜The heat and humidity was a killer and fortunately we located a cafe for beer.🍺

Anyone familiar with 'Rising Tide' beer from Maine. We can't find it here in California.🍻

🙏Prayers for all in need and safe travels for the 47 million travelers. Thank you to all who contribute. 😉

Katie

20210703_073145.jpg

• Like 26

19 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Now to figure out where to get grapefruit soda.

Growing up, I got hooked on Squirt. Later Canada Dry came out with Wink. Here in FL, Winn Dixie and Harvey's have their own brand and offer it as "freshy" in both regular and diet.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon and thank you for today's daily and care reports.

It has been raining most of the day.

We have had a light lunch and sitting looking over parkland with Wynyard hall in the background hidden by tree's.

I like a beer and we enjoy Park Hopping at Walt Disney world Florida seeing a couple of parks during the day.

Seafood salad is lovely.

Australia is on our wishlist next.

Happy Independence Day Eve to all who celebrate it.

Graham.

16253196963913658185258621344760.jpg

16253207092911777970852924604718.jpg

We ended up at the beach for a couple of hours.

Graham.

IMG_20210703_155822.jpg

• Like 15

We were in Darwin in 2019 while on the Amsterdam.  As others have said, Darwin was hot, even for us Floridians.  We took a HOHO bus to get a glimpse of the city.  One stop was a museum that included some old boats.  After returning to downtown, we found a nice place for lunch and stopped in a few shops prior to returning to the ship.

2908D4B2-29A4-4D37-AD05-23DBAB5C049A.thumb.jpeg.67ee702817f4f531da0c4ebca6910c35.jpeg

88329EAC-65A9-4352-ACCB-D7F8632E116D.thumb.jpeg.e8e714e2e3913d2ffba0f55813a02c2f.jpeg

8EA22829-C09C-40DB-A785-6ADE1C6FADD0.thumb.jpeg.ad88451f335ffb4ba96669793dec9bf2.jpeg

84814F2C-EB5C-45C7-8695-137B9F094023.thumb.jpeg.85218d6e286b979808862eec0898d80d.jpeg

AC40B335-9D99-4D5C-80FE-CBFB106D085C.thumb.jpeg.fed260ec19587c0071ad5e86d5456830.jpeg

7EBCFDCF-9C02-48E2-BDAA-652960B81EC9.thumb.jpeg.7164b29e6c3bd671550e3c20054aa049.jpeg

F5FFE447-E12C-40C7-8A8E-FAA458CC8376.thumb.jpeg.3e8f5e86bd8ef2e7cb37fec36dcc36a7.jpeg

83C7219C-332A-4093-94FA-60374E781971.thumb.jpeg.7905181417ddd66688aa6ed78d6777f1.jpeg

Edited by Mtn2Sea
  • Like 27

13 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Growing up, I got hooked on Squirt. Later Canada Dry came out with Wink. Here in FL, Winn Dixie and Harvey's have their own brand and offer it as "freshy" in both regular and diet.

Thank you. I will look for either of those. 

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Today we celebrate my youngest sons birthday he is 32, hard to believe!  When I went into labor, hubby said you need to wait until tomorrow so we will have a 4th of July baby, I told him "then you carry him for the next 13 hours!"  Needless to say he didn't!

We would both love to visit Australia, thank you for posting pictures, it is on our bucket trip list!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Denise

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

Good Afternoon Everyone from an overcast but warm day at the beach

Late to the party today. DS called last nite to see if his " dear old Mom" wanted to play golf this AM. So of course, I went.  Got chased around by rain and only ended up playing 9 holes.  Always fun!

Watching the path of the hurricane.  Have to wait and see.

Not sure if the fireworks will go off tonite. Weather is iffy at best. The vendor is on the beach setting up so we will see. We have friends coming to watch and I have prepared snacks, etc.

Darwin is on our scheduled circumnavigation of Australia in the fall of 2022. Really hope it is not cancelled! @StLouisCruisersThank you for the great pictures.  I love ssing the pictures from the different ports for many reasons. One is I like to see how accessible it is. Our DD is a fulltime wheelchair user and sometimes we have to be very creative!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 17