Small Trip Report - Juneau, June 24-29, 2021 (Part 1)

Italy52

We just returned from a short visit to Juneau and thought we would share our observations and experiences.  We flew Alaska Air from Sacramento-Seattle-Juneau on June 24th.  Although my husband and I are fully vaccinated, we had to be fully masked during our time in the airport as well as on the plane.  Alaska asked passengers who chose to eat or drink to unmask and mask after each bite of food or sip of beverage.  Not fun but we did it because that was the rule.  Compliance was closely monitored, and reminders were given when necessary.

Our arrival in Juneau was a wet one.  The airport is small and easy to get around.  Proof of COVID testing was not required nor did we have to fill out any forms. As we made our way to the escalator to retrieve our luggage, arriving passengers were offered free COVID testing or vaccinations.  I believe this service will be ending soon.  Nice touch for those that might need these services.

We gathered our luggage and made our way out to the taxi area.  There was one van waiting, and we were asked where we were going.  My husband replied that we were staying at the Four Points by Sheraton, and he told us to get inside the vehicle.  Although the van was loaded with other passengers with various stops, each group was charged their individual fares:  we paid $30 which included tip.

The Four Points is managed by a very friendly staff.  Check in was quick and we were informed of hotel-related changes due to COVID:  no daily housekeeping and no breakfast.  If housekeeping items (toilet paper, towels, soap, etc.) was needed all we had to do was ask.  We found housekeeping to be very responsive.  With all check-in advisements done, we made our way to our room.  We had selected a king mountain view room.  We were pleased with our choice:  the room was large and well appointed.  We only had two little issues:  pillows were too soft for us and there is no air conditioning – however, our room did have two fans available to us if needed.

After a good night’s sleep, we woke up to a very rainy day.  Since we have been to Juneau before, we decided to make our way over to a little bakery to get a pastry and some coffee for breakfast.  Before entering, there was a sign on the door stating that if you were vaccinated a mask was not mandatory – if not, please use a mask.  After breakfast, we went across the street to the pharmacy and stocked up on some small items and snacks and returned to the room. 

Realizing that the rain was not going to let up anytime soon, we ventured outside to see how Juneau has changed since the  pandemic.  We have been to Juneau many times by cruise ship and were so saddened to see the town so quiet and almost abandoned.  We did manage to see some locals and small groups of tourists that were either going or coming from the UnCruise ships.  There were also small groups of people who either flew into Juneau or took the ferry into Juneau. 

Edited by Italy52
  • Like 3

Juneau Trip Report (Part 2)

Open businesses were few and open hours were short.  The bigger jewelry stores were not open, nor did they look like they had any plans to open.  Lots of signs that said the store was closed and all signs of merchandise had been removed from the store.  The large tee shirt and souvenir place did say that they were going to be open with longer hours than what they had at the present so that was nice for tourist.  One of the Fudge Factories was open as well as a couple of small jewelry places.  We did see a group of people sprucing up the streets with hanging flowerpots so that was nice to see. 

Mt. Roberts tram was open but with limited hours.  We spoke with two difference couples who had taken separate trips to Mendenhall Glacier, and both said that they were the only ones on the bus --- now that is a first for us to hear.

For us, we did manage to go on a few excursions that we had pre-arranged prior to our arrival:  Tracy Arm Excursion by Allen Marine and Jayleen’s Alaska whale watching tour.  For our tours, I guess our luck was shining down on us as we had beautiful weather for both excursion days.  The Tracy Arm tour departed right across from our hotel and was totally filled.  I think everyone was excited to get out and see the beauty of Alaska.  We saw two bears near the shoreline, lots of cascading waterfalls, beautiful blue floating ice bergs, blue-tipped glaciers and lots of harbor seals, Stellar sea lions and a couple of eagles. 

During our whale watching tour with Jayleen, we saw Flame and her calf quite a few times as well as a coupe of other whales.  Lots of tails and a few blows.  There were only a couple of whale watching boats in the water instead of the usual clusters at the sight of a whale.  The water was calm and peaceful.

Food options that were open with limited hours:  Tracy’s King Crab Shack, The Hanger on the Warf, Red Dog Saloon.  There is also a big grocery story that is further down Egan Drive – a bit of a walk but doable.

Our four days went by fast and it was time to return home.  We made arrangements for a cab the day prior to our departure.  Our cab arrived right on time at 4:30 AM.  The Juneau Airport is small and was busy.  Fortunately, we had TAS pre-check so we were able to move through the line very quickly.  Our flight was once again on Alaska Airlines, and we flew Juneau-Ketchikan-Seattle-Sacramento. 

Fortunately, our two August cruises to Alaska were not cancelled – we look forward to returning to this beautiful state and keeping our fingers crossed that more businesses will open and, as cruise passengers, we can bring a sunshine to their suffering economy.

Edited by Italy52
  • Like 5

@Italy52, it is by Presidential Executive Order that masks must be worn on planes and in airports, as well as all other public transit. Has been since Feb 1, 2021, when the Executive Order took over from airline policies. Alaska is just enforcing the Executive Order.

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@Italy52, it is by Presidential Executive Order that masks must be worn on planes and in airports, as well as all other public transit. Has been since Feb 1, 2021, when the Executive Order took over from airline policies. Alaska is just enforcing the Executive Order.

Correct.  I was just explaining what we had to do and what our airline was doing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bflysmile said:

Thanks. We are doing a tour with Jayleen in August and excited to see everything for the first time. 

Have a wonderful time.  We have gone with her 7 times and will be going with her again in August. 

Was AdventureBound Alaska not running this year?

Glad you saw Flame.

So glad you got away. I can't even imagine Juneau being quiet.

I will have to look where your hotel is located. Just looked at hotel and you were in a great location!

Welcome back.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Coral said:

Was AdventureBound Alaska not running this year?

Glad you saw Flame.

So glad you got away. I can't even imagine Juneau being quiet.

I will have to look where your hotel is located. Just looked at hotel and you were in a great location!

Welcome back.

Hi Coral.  We saw the Captain Cook near the glacier.  We could see out out hotel window that a lot of people were heading towards Adventure Bound and some running to get there on time.  Our Allen Marine boat was a bit delayed and we left around 9:20 AM. 

Our hotel was centrally located and made walking everywhere very manageable.

Very eerie to see Juneau the way it was.  As you well know, its always busy there. 

Thanks for the welcome back.

• Like 1

I read your trip report this Sunday morning as we watched the Wilderness Discovery and the Katlian Express on the Juneau webcam.  Yesterday, July 3rd there were a lot of people at the docks celebrating the 4th of July.  It’s been fun watching the smaller ships come and go on the webcam.  We’ll be there on HAL ships in June and August of 2022.  Thanks for the report.  Enjoy your August cruises!

17 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Juneau Trip Report (Part 2)

Open businesses were few and open hours were short.  The bigger jewelry stores were not open, nor did they look like they had any plans to open.  Lots of signs that said the store was closed and all signs of merchandise had been removed from the store.  The large tee shirt and souvenir place did say that they were going to be open with longer hours than what they had at the present so that was nice for tourist.  One of the Fudge Factories was open as well as a couple of small jewelry places.  We did see a group of people sprucing up the streets with hanging flowerpots so that was nice to see. 

Mt. Roberts tram was open but with limited hours.  We spoke with two difference couples who had taken separate trips to Mendenhall Glacier, and both said that they were the only ones on the bus --- now that is a first for us to hear.

For us, we did manage to go on a few excursions that we had pre-arranged prior to our arrival:  Tracy Arm Excursion by Allen Marine and Jayleen’s Alaska whale watching tour.  For our tours, I guess our luck was shining down on us as we had beautiful weather for both excursion days.  The Tracy Arm tour departed right across from our hotel and was totally filled.  I think everyone was excited to get out and see the beauty of Alaska.  We saw two bears near the shoreline, lots of cascading waterfalls, beautiful blue floating ice bergs, blue-tipped glaciers and lots of harbor seals, Stellar sea lions and a couple of eagles. 

During our whale watching tour with Jayleen, we saw Flame and her calf quite a few times as well as a coupe of other whales.  Lots of tails and a few blows.  There were only a couple of whale watching boats in the water instead of the usual clusters at the sight of a whale.  The water was calm and peaceful.

Food options that were open with limited hours:  Tracy’s King Crab Shack, The Hanger on the Warf, Red Dog Saloon.  There is also a big grocery story that is further down Egan Drive – a bit of a walk but doable.

Our four days went by fast and it was time to return home.  We made arrangements for a cab the day prior to our departure.  Our cab arrived right on time at 4:30 AM.  The Juneau Airport is small and was busy.  Fortunately, we had TAS pre-check so we were able to move through the line very quickly.  Our flight was once again on Alaska Airlines, and we flew Juneau-Ketchikan-Seattle-Sacramento. 

Fortunately, our two August cruises to Alaska were not cancelled – we look forward to returning to this beautiful state and keeping our fingers crossed that more businesses will open and, as cruise passengers, we can bring a sunshine to their suffering economy.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I read your trip report this Sunday morning as we watched the Wilderness Discovery and the Katlian Express on the Juneau webcam.  Yesterday, July 3rd there were a lot of people at the docks celebrating the 4th of July.  It’s been fun watching the smaller ships come and go on the webcam.  We’ll be there on HAL ships in June and August of 2022.  Thanks for the report.  Enjoy your August cruises!

Thank you.  Yes, we went out on the Katlian Express and had a good time. 

A couple of years ago, we were in Ketchikan for 4th of July and enjoyed watching their "hometown" celebration.  We found a nice place to sit, eat our popcorn and enjoyed the festivities.  It was great!

I bet you are looking forward to your HAL cruises -- enjoy.

Thank you for posting this. I have bookings to visit Ketchikan and Juneau in August with the AMHS, then Sitka by air, with three days in each. By then there will be some cruise ships calling, so more places may be open, but when I booked that wasn't assured.

I'm booked with Adventure Bound for Tracy Arm; some excursions that would ordinarily operate two or three times a day planned only one trip per day but could add more on days ships are in, and the Taku Lodge flights expected to be completely shut down.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Thank you for posting this. I have bookings to visit Ketchikan and Juneau in August with the AMHS, then Sitka by air, with three days in each. By then there will be some cruise ships calling, so more places may be open, but when I booked that wasn't assured.

I'm booked with Adventure Bound for Tracy Arm; some excursions that would ordinarily operate two or three times a day planned only one trip per day but could add more on days ships are in, and the Taku Lodge flights expected to be completely shut down.

Your welcome.  Visiting Alaska is definitely challenging this year but so worth it if you are able to do the things that will bring joy into your life.  During our visit, we talked with visitors and local business owners --- some excursion operators have scaled back because they didn't think ships would be coming this year.  Some restaurants are trying to make a go of it and some were just closed.  Visitors we talked with said making excursion arrangements fit into their schedules was hectic at times.  Also, while in Juneau, this one couple we talked with had to reschedule two of their tours due to heavy rain.  Luckily, they had a little wiggle room in their travel schedule.  Keeping fingers crossed that things get better for all concerned.

Happy planning, hope everything works out for you.

We have the Tracy Arm excursion booked for our August cruise (I believe it's Allen Marine) but having second thoughts choosing such a long excursion.   Did you find it overly long?  Did you feel uncomfortable at all on the boat in such an enclosed space with lots of other people?

11 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

We have the Tracy Arm excursion booked for our August cruise (I believe it's Allen Marine) but having second thoughts choosing such a long excursion.   Did you find it overly long?  Did you feel uncomfortable at all on the boat in such an enclosed space with lots of other people?

Did you book the Tracy Arm excursion from the cruise line?  If so, the vendor will be Allen Marine.  We have done this excursion multiple times and always enjoyed our trip.  The beauty is in the journey.  We love seeing the blue icebergs floating in the water; some of them are quite big.  Each one is unique in shape and size.  The cascades are beautiful to see and quite plentiful.  We have seen wildlife along the way as well.  We have never felt the trip to be overly long as there was always something to see.  On some trips, we spent the entire time outside with our cameras.  We never felt uncomfortable at all on the boat or with the people.  If the weather permits, you will find a lot of people gravitating to the outside.  The duration of the trip has never been an issue as time seemed to pass by rather quickly. 

If you did book through the ship, I encourage you to look at the Allen Marine website and see their description of the tour --- perhaps that might help you decide if the excursion is right for you.

1 minute ago, Italy52 said:

Posting a few pictures of our Tracy Arm Tour with Allen Marine in case anyone is interested.  We saw lots of beautiful scenery --- the beauty is in the journey.

DSC_4322.JPG

DSC_4457.JPG

DSC_0199.JPG

DSC_0238.JPG

Pictures are not coming out as I would like, will try to limit imput to see if that works.