Small Trip Report - Juneau, June 24-29, 2021 (Part 1)

Italy52

Sorry, I couldn't arrange these better for you to see --- at least you can get an idea of some of the things that we saw along the way.  Having done this trip multiple times I never get tired of all the beautiful sights.

• Like 2

Those are beautiful pictures!  We are going to AK for the first time on the Millennium on Jul 23 and have booked this excursion.  Thank you for sharing, and for your review!

What kind of camera did you use?  Looks like you have a great zoom feature, or does the smaller boat get close enough that a not-so-fancy camera will capture the sights?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LuvCruising88 said:

Those are beautiful pictures!  We are going to AK for the first time on the Millennium on Jul 23 and have booked this excursion.  Thank you for sharing, and for your review!

What kind of camera did you use?  Looks like you have a great zoom feature, or does the smaller boat get close enough that a not-so-fancy camera will capture the sights?  

Thank you for your kind words.  Didn't want to post too many pictures and bore everyone.  The excursion is truly remarkable compared to the journey with the cruise ship.  You are able to get closer to things and that is a plus in my book.

As for a camera, both my husband and I were taking pictures.  He has a Nikon 7200 and I have a Nikon 5100.  We both used 18-300 lenses this way we didn't have to carry around more gear.  On the excursion, we saw all types of cameras being used (IPhones, tablets, DSLRs and small hand-held type cameras).  I didn't hear any complaints and people seemed to be pleased with their pictures. 

We have sailed on the Millennium before the refresh and always enjoyed our time on her.  Wishing you a great cruise and many wonderful memories.

Thanks for your report. It is eery to imagine Juneau so quiet. Hopefully things will perk up as the limited cruise season gets going.

18 hours ago, nini said:

Thanks for your report. It is eery to imagine Juneau so quiet. Hopefully things will perk up as the limited cruise season gets going.

It was very odd to see Juneau so quiet.  We will be taking two cruises in August and for both times, we will be going on a whale watching tour in Juneau with an independent vendor so we are looking forward to that.  It will be interesting to see how many shops and independent vendors will be available for tourists. 

2 hours ago, Italy52 said:

It was very odd to see Juneau so quiet.  We will be taking two cruises in August and for both times, we will be going on a whale watching tour in Juneau with an independent vendor so we are looking forward to that.  It will be interesting to see how many shops and independent vendors will be available for tourists. 

We loved our small boat whale watching trips in Juneau!

5 hours ago, Italy52 said:

I've just been checking the port schedules. Each of the days I'm going to be in Ketchikan has one or two cruise ships scheduled; in Juneau there will be one on my first day there, two on the second, none on the third. The day with two - and one of them is large - is the day I'm booked for an all-day Tracy Arm trip. Sitka will have only one cruise ship during my stay, and it's the National Geographic Quest (Lindblad), which has just 50 cabins. The day in Juneau with no cruise ships is when I've booked a float expedition, which I'm somewhat afraid of, but if it takes place, I'll go.

15 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I've just been checking the port schedules. Each of the days I'm going to be in Ketchikan has one or two cruise ships scheduled; in Juneau there will be one on my first day there, two on the second, none on the third. The day with two - and one of them is large - is the day I'm booked for an all-day Tracy Arm trip. Sitka will have only one cruise ship during my stay, and it's the National Geographic Quest (Lindblad), which has just 50 cabins. The day in Juneau with no cruise ships is when I've booked a float expedition, which I'm somewhat afraid of, but if it takes place, I'll go.

Enjoy your trip, I am sure it will be wonderful.