Canadians booking direct with HAL

My TA of many years is not back to the office due to COVID until September.   I’m looking at a cruise next January but not comfortable booking with HAL. PLEASE advice. 

Just now, highscar said:

My TA of many years is not back to the office due to COVID until September.   I’m looking at a cruise next January but not comfortable booking with HAL. PLEASE advice. 

Your TA is not working from home?  Many of them are due to covid.  Can you perhaps email your TA and see what they suggest?

It may be possible to book with one of them and then transfer to your TA when they return to the office.

One option I guess would be to see who your PCC is and see how comfortable you are with them but, you are in essence dealing with HAL.

The other option is to seek a different TA, I guess.  You’re kind of in between a rock and a hard place.

I am still perplexed why your TA is not working.  They don’t have to be at the office to be working.  It makes me wonder if they will be returning.  My poor TA has been working her tail off with the pandemic.  And making zero money but working very hard.  So glad she hung in for us.

• Like 6

I agree with the above when it is said you might want to find a new TA.  Is the whole agency shut down or just this TA?  If the agency is open they should be able to take care of this for you.

The agency is open. My TA was working from home. The office will return to full staff in the fall.  Thank you for all the advice.  I will contact the office tomorrow. I am so used to her knowing my preferences.   Don’t know where the under line came from.  Oh well.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, highscar said:

My TA is working from home (although I think she is in the office twice a week at the moment). Through this shutdown, she has cancelled one cruise, booked an NCL Cruise and, most recently,  booked my HAL Baltic and transatlantic for next year. If your TA is just not working, you could give the agency a call and they could give you another contact, I'm sure.

We book directly with HAL most of the time.....and it quotes in $CAN as my account is linked from Canada........We like it as I can control what price, cabin, perks, FCC, we get or use......if we  see a better price just phone and it is changed without having to phone this person or that person and explain what I want done......most of the time it just as cheap as using a full service internet company but sometimes you miss out on $50 or so cabin credit....

A lesson learned is.....if we buy a FCC on the ship and do it in $Can....then you have to do the booking in $Can to use the FCC and most of the big internet companies do not do bookings in $Can so you are sort of stuck a bit by using HAL in Canadian $..........if do the FCC in $US....then the booking can be done in $US...and then a internet company can also get the FCC in the price for you if you see a real steaming deal from one of them.....complicated but one you do it a few times it is easy.....

• Like 1

I have used a HAL personal cruise consultant for my last 5 cruises with them.  She is WAY more knowledgeable than any travel agent (who deals with a million other destinations, trips, and ships)  is going to be.  She knows all the HAL ships and their idiosyncrasies and I don't have to hire a lawyer to read the fine print in HAL policies (such as their new "revised alcohol policy as of June 1, 2021) and all the new Covid protocols.   The way I see it, her job is to keep people from using a travel agent, to whom a commission must be paid, and she bends over backward to keep me happy.  And she earns her money with me, as I never stop asking questions usually via email.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lindancer said:

She knows all the HAL ships and their idiosyncrasies and I don't have to hire a lawyer to read the fine print in HAL policies (such as their new "revised alcohol policy as of June 1, 2021) and all the new Covid protocols.

Sorry but I am in doubt of the knowledge of your PCC.  All she did was give you the “know before you go” which anyone can do.  And I question the validity of that section of the Know Before you go.  It’s in contravention to HAL’s contract but it’s not the first time Know Before you go has been in conflict 😉 

I use a TA and I would say that she is far more knowledgeable than most PCC’s I have encountered;.

It all comes down to this - there are good TA’s and good PCC’s and there are mediocre and bad ones.  If you have a good one, they are worth their weight in gold.  Treasure them, book and keep them in business 😉 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry but I am in doubt of the knowledge of your PCC.  All she did was give you the “know before you go” which anyone can do.  And I question the validity of that section of the Know Before you go.  It’s in contravention to HAL’s contract but it’s not the first time Know Before you go has been in conflict 😉 

I couldn’t agree with you more. Before the 2020 GWV I studied the ‘Know Before You Go’ booklet cover to cover. In hindsight, that booklet did NOT even begin to adequately or accurately prepare me for being adrift in the Indian Ocean in March of that year.😏😉😄

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lindancer said:

I have used a HAL personal cruise consultant for my last 5 cruises with them.  She is WAY more knowledgeable than any travel agent (who deals with a million other destinations, trips, and ships)  is going to be.  She knows all the HAL ships and their idiosyncrasies and I don't have to hire a lawyer to read the fine print in HAL policies (such as their new "revised alcohol policy as of June 1, 2021) and all the new Covid protocols.   The way I see it, her job is to keep people from using a travel agent, to whom a commission must be paid, and she bends over backward to keep me happy.  And she earns her money with me, as I never stop asking questions usually via email.

Oh dear, I think your faith is misguided.  I have used both PCC and TA and had one good PCC over the years.  My TA was always more reliable and responsive, and often more knowledgeable.  And, I prefer someone who works for me and not for HAL.

• Like 4