Overnight (on-board) entertainment St. Petersburg Russia

Posted (edited)

Have not yet been to St. Petersburg and since this is an overnight port, am wondering if there is evening entertainment on board for this port.

Our experience on other overnight ports is that sometimes local entertainment performs on board when overnight in port, sometimes not. Is this the case in St. Petersburg and if so, is it worth it, or is an evening tour option better?

Edited by Alphen

• Alphen changed the title to Overnight (on-board) entertainment St. Petersburg Russia
55 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Have not yet been to St. Petersburg and since this is an overnight port, am wondering if there is evening entertainment on board for this port.

Our experience on other overnight ports is that sometimes local entertainment performs on board when overnight in port, sometimes not. Is this the case in St. Petersburg and if so, is it worth it, or is an evening tour option better?

I don't know how relevant this is since it was both a long time ago (2007) and a different cruise line (Princess), but when we were in St. Petersburg overnight there was great entertainment onboard in the form of a local dance troupe. In fact it was the best night of onboard entertainment on the whole cruise. I'm sure there are good local options, but believe me, you will be tired after that first day in St. Petersburg which makes staying onboard if there is great local entertainment a fine option.

22 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Because of Covid ?????

There are some tours at night 

Nothing to do with Covid, we had overnight stay away of the ship on a totally different cruise and country, booked well in advance and later learned that indeed great local entertainment was on at night on board, which we missed.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Nothing to do with Covid, we had overnight stay away of the ship on a totally different cruise and country, booked well in advance and later learned that indeed great local entertainment was on at night on board, which we missed.

I understand BUT who knows what will happen in 2022 we have been to St. Petersburg on Holland 3 times . and in the past there was entertainment on the over night .

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away

1 minute ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I understand BUT who knows what will happen in 2022

OK, understand, that is why I am slightly apprehensive in diving in private tours at this stage, not knowing who survived the pandemic business wise and also not knowing what situation in general will be, but just investigating options and experiences anyway.

Just now, Alphen said:

OK, understand, that is why I am slightly apprehensive in diving in private tours at this stage, not knowing who survived the pandemic business wise and also not knowing what situation in general will be, but just investigating options and experiences anyway.

I agree with you we always plain 18 months out .BUT 2022 might be different ..

2 minutes ago, Alphen said:

I am confident the large, well reputed companies have survived.

And, if necessary they will have covid protocols in place (fewer people in the van).

We’ve been to St. Petersburg twice.  The first time we did HAL tours and the 2nd time private.  I can honestly say there is no comparison.  The private tour was a much superior experience.

On our 1st trip, we returned to the ship and there was entertainment brought on board which was quite good.  The 2nd time we went to a show in St. Petersburg which was excellent.  There was entertainment brought on board and roll call members who went reported it was good.  Only about 45 minutes IIRC.   We were glad we went to the Russian performance which was longer and showed a good deal of the culture.

Our guide made it easy, dropping those of us going off at a cute cafe type dining place for a light bite, returned the others not going to the ship and returned to take us to the show and afterwards returned us to the ship.

So in both our cases there was entertainment on board that night.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am confident the large, well reputed companies have survived.

And, if necessary they will have covid protocols in place (fewer people in the van).

We’ve been to St. Petersburg twice.  The first time we did HAL tours and the 2nd time private.  I can honestly say there is no comparison.  The private tour was a much superior experience.

On our 1st trip, we returned to the ship and there was entertainment brought on board which was quite good.  The 2nd time we went to a show in St. Petersburg which was excellent.  There was entertainment brought on board and roll call members who went reported it was good.  Only about 45 minutes IIRC.   We were glad we went to the Russian performance which was longer and showed a good deal of the culture.

Our guide made it easy, dropping those of us going off at a cute cafe type dining place for a light bite, returned the others not going to the ship and returned to take us to the show and afterwards returned us to the ship.

So in both our cases there was entertainment on board that night.  Hope this helps.

Thanks, this helps a lot.

3 hours ago, Alphen said:

Stay home, always something going on board.

On our overnights in SP there were local performers onboard at night as well as excursion (HAL and private) available.  One time we went to see Swan Lake ballet 🩰.

• Like 1

When I was at St. Petersburg with RC in 2019, I took a private tour one day and a ship's tour the other. There were many evening tours to entertainment venues available, but I hadn't booked one, partly because I expected to be too tired to go out again, and partly because I suspected that the ship would bring local entertainers aboard. Which is what happened, and it was a very good show.

• Like 2

We did evening excursions through HAL to a folklore performance both times we went to SP.  They were both excellent and both were different shows.

• Like 2

Only been there once and we spent the evening seeing SWAN LAKE. Not sure what happens on board or what to think might be "safe" these days.

• Like 1