Jump to content

UK Covid requirements


jff50
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am booked on The Regal Princess on Sept 30, 2021.  Round trip from Southampton (to Spain and France).  Just looked at requirements for US citizens travelling to England.  US is considered an amber country.  Kind of a pain in the butt.  As of now, we need proof of a negative COVID test taken within 3 days of our flight leaving US.  We also need to show proof of pre-scheduled tests (to be done in England) to be taken on days 2 and 8 of the trip.  It's very confusing as to how this will actually work, when:

  • I am in England for 3 days pre-cruise, 
  • I will be on the cruise on day 8,
  • I will the be reentering England after the cruise, but only to go to Heathrow and catch my flight home.

It appears that I have to schedule a test for day 8, even though I won't be in England then.  I assume I'd need to get a test (negative) within 3 days of reentering England (I assume that Princess would need to do that).  Not sure if I'd need to have tests scheduled for days 2 and 8 after the ship returns to England.  If these rules are still in place 88 days from now, the cruise may be British citizens only.

 

Any thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find our rules very difficult to understand, but I believe you would need to quarantine on arrival for 10 days !

 

It might be worth checking with your travel agent or reading the full article on UKGOV Website…but this is a part of it..apparently updated 30th June 2021

Amber list countries and territories

What you must do if you have been in an amber country or territory in the 10 days before you arrive in England.

You must follow these rules even if you have been vaccinated.

Before travel to England

Before you travel to England you must:

On arrival in England

On arrival in England you must:

  • quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
  • take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8

Read about quarantine and taking COVID-19 tests.

Children aged 4 and under do not need to take the day 2 or day 8 test.

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I read seemed to indicate that you do not have to quarantine unless you are from a red country.  If you are from a green or amber country, you don't need to quarantine if you have a negative test.  Unless the rules change, the other hoops that are required make me reluctant to commit/make my final payment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You must quarantine in an hotel if coming from red country, but must quarantine at home from amber country. Green country means just testing. More differences for those who have been double vaccinated.

 

I know what you mean about having to jump through hoops…we will have the same issues but in reverse as we hope to cruise from Fort Lauderdale next Spring.

 

Good luck finding out the ever changing rules. Hope you can cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The present rules for entering the UK from the USA (Amber) is that you must self isolate for 10 days at a notified address in the UK.

If you take an additional test on day 5 which is negative then you can cease quarantine.

This BBC "explainer" is useful: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307

 

It is possible/probable that the rules will be relaxed within the next couple of months. Those with proof of full vaccination coming from "amber list" countries may not have to self isolate and/or the USA might be added to the "green list"

 

 

Like @Reina del Mar I also hope that entry into the USA for those from the UK is allowed soon. At present we cannot enter the USA, period!!

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

The present rules for entering the UK from the USA (Amber) is that you must self isolate for 10 days at a notified address in the UK.

If you take an additional test on day 5 which is negative then you can cease quarantine.

This BBC "explainer" is useful: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307

 

It is possible/probable that the rules will be relaxed within the next couple of months. Those with proof of full vaccination coming from "amber list" countries may not have to self isolate and/or the USA might be added to the "green list"

 

 

Like @Reina del Mar I also hope that entry into the USA for those from the UK is allowed soon. At present we cannot enter the USA, period!!

 

Hopefully there will be a change.  I was only planning on spending 3 days before the cruise, and I don't want to spend that time (or longer) in quarantine.  I suspect that Princess will do whatever it can to make the cruise doable to Americans.  They may have to delay are final payment, to allow changes to occur.

 

Fingers crossed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

The present rules for entering the UK from the USA (Amber) is that you must self isolate for 10 days at a notified address in the UK.

If you take an additional test on day 5 which is negative then you can cease quarantine.

This BBC "explainer" is useful: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307

 

It is possible/probable that the rules will be relaxed within the next couple of months. Those with proof of full vaccination coming from "amber list" countries may not have to self isolate and/or the USA might be added to the "green list"

 

 

Like @Reina del Mar I also hope that entry into the USA for those from the UK is allowed soon. At present we cannot enter the USA, period!!

 

Flossie009 has explained this perfectly.  At the current time you are not allowed to fly into the UK from the US and then board a ship without doing the 10 day quarantine on arrival. But the rules are changing constantly so they could be different by the time you travel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jff50 said:

If these rules are still in place 88 days from now, the cruise may be British citizens only.

I would not worry just yet.  By then, your country may be on our green list and/or the rules may have changed.

 

However, if we assume things stay as they are, then the extract at post#2 sets out the requirements. The pre-testing before arrival and the self-isolation are clear - and that does not seem to accommodate someone only staying in the country for the three days the OP mentions. It works even less well for someone who is only going to be in the country for several hours. As it stands, I just don't see how the OP is able to gain entry to the UK.

 

If I was the OP, I'd keep an eye on any developments to, say, the end of August and take it from there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the info.  I'll just wait and see until final payment is due.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  

 

At worst, I will have to add this cruise to all the other trips I have had cancelled.  I am far more fortunate than the many that have lost their livelihood, their loved ones, or their lives during the last year and a half.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A joint U.S./ U.K. Task Force was set up last month to study how to ease transatlantic travel ……………….. but it seems in no hurry to report.

 

see recent Forbes article

 

We are due to cruise out of Miami in December (final payment early September) so we are also hoping for a speedy resolution 🤞

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s also worth noting that with test to release, the results can take 72hrs to be returned so you may well end up needing 8 or 9 days self isolation. 
 

unfortunately it is highly unlikely that the July 19th relaxations will affect non residents entering

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2021 at 9:32 AM, bernard301 said:


 

unfortunately it is highly unlikely that the July 19th relaxations will affect non residents entering

 

The better hope is that, by the time of the OP's  cruise, arrivals from the USA will be switched from Amber (self-isolation) to Green (some hoops such as tests, but no isolation required). Much more likely for those who can prove full vaccination (ie two jabs for most Covid vaccines)

 

JB 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's news:

  • Fully vaccinated UK residents arriving in England from amber travel list destinations will no longer have to quarantine from 19 July (includes unvaccinated UK residents under 18)
  • The UK Government guidance that people should not travel to amber list countries will be removed from 19 July
  • The next review of countries on the green, red and amber lists will be on 15 July 

 

BBC News

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 12:25 PM, John Bull said:

 

The better hope is that, by the time of the OP's  cruise, arrivals from the USA will be switched from Amber (self-isolation) to Green (some hoops such as tests, but no isolation required). Much more likely for those who can prove full vaccination (ie two jabs for most Covid vaccines)

 

JB 🙂

The latest change in regs is only for UK residents however. Other nationals will still have to follow the RAG guidelines

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Today's news:

  • Fully vaccinated UK residents arriving in England from amber travel list destinations will no longer have to quarantine from 19 July (includes unvaccinated UK residents under 18)
  • The UK Government guidance that people should not travel to amber list countries will be removed from 19 July
  • The next review of countries on the green, red and amber lists will be on 15 July 

 

BBC News

 

15 hours ago, bernard301 said:

The latest change in regs is only for UK residents however. Other nationals will still have to follow the RAG guidelines

 

 

Yes, that broadly sums it up - but some detail is important.

 

The UK's Amber countries are now Green for those who've been double-vaccinated. This includes the USA and Canada, and many other countries.

But this only applies to those who've been double-vaccinated in the UK - that's not always the same as UK nationals or UK residents. The relaxation for those who've been double-vaccinated is led by the Govt wanting to allow UK folk to take foreign holidays. The sticking point is that it's easy to provide proof of vaccinations given in the UK, but there's no internationally-recognised proof for vaccinations elsewhere, so not great for most visitors from abroad. This is being addressed at the moment - the Civil Service isn't the quickest organisation in the world, but fingers-crossed it'll hopefully be sorted in good time for the OP's 30th September cruise.

BTW, there are currently no single-dose vaccines in the UK, hence the mention of double-vaccinated - it'd take a seriously-inept Civil Service not to allow for single-dose concoctions when dealing with those vaccinated elsewhere.

 

And, as per Flossie's earlier post, until the double-vaccination concession kicks in travellers from Amber countries have to SELF-ISOLATE for a minimum of 5(?) days (for those entering from Red countries its self-isolation at designated hotels)

 

It's a complicated and ever-changing situation.

 

JB 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

 

 

 

Yes, that broadly sums it up - but some detail is important.

 

The UK's Amber countries are now Green for those who've been double-vaccinated. This includes the USA and Canada, and many other countries.

But this only applies to those who've been double-vaccinated in the UK - that's not always the same as UK nationals or UK residents. The relaxation for those who've been double-vaccinated is led by the Govt wanting to allow UK folk to take foreign holidays. The sticking point is that it's easy to provide proof of vaccinations given in the UK, but there's no internationally-recognised proof for vaccinations elsewhere, so not great for most visitors from abroad. This is being addressed at the moment - the Civil Service isn't the quickest organisation in the world, but fingers-crossed it'll hopefully be sorted in good time for the OP's 30th September cruise.

BTW, there are currently no single-dose vaccines in the UK, hence the mention of double-vaccinated - it'd take a seriously-inept Civil Service not to allow for single-dose concoctions when dealing with those vaccinated elsewhere.

 

And, as per Flossie's earlier post, until the double-vaccination concession kicks in travellers from Amber countries have to SELF-ISOLATE for a minimum of 5(?) days (for those entering from Red countries its self-isolation at designated hotels)

 

It's a complicated and ever-changing situation.

 

JB 🙂

Does the USA allow UK tourist? 

I doesn't make sense to me to let UK citizens who've visited the US return if they have been vaccinated, but not let vaccinated US citizens visit.

But we have nutty politicians in the US so.....  I'll keep my fingers crossed for the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Does the USA allow UK tourist? 

I doesn't make sense to me to let UK citizens who've visited the US return if they have been vaccinated, but not let vaccinated US citizens visit.

But we have nutty politicians in the US so.....  I'll keep my fingers crossed for the moment.

 

With a very few minor exceptions, we Brits & most Europeans haven't been allowed to enter the USA since March last year. It seems the only route into the US is via a tunnel from Mexico 😉

 

For any international travel everyone needs to check the terms for leaving their country, for entering their destination country/ies, for returning to their country, and the terms imposed by the carrier/s.

It helps to be religious, cos then you can pray that the terms don't change when you're out of your country. Clearly a lot of Brits aren't religious cos earlier this year Portugal was on the Green list (no isolation required when returning to the UK), then changed to the Amber list (self-isolation on return) with about 3 days notice. Those who had work or other commitments cancelled their plans & those who were already in Portugal scrambled to get (expensive) flights back by the target date. Most retirees presumably didn't have the same problem.

In the meantime we've been enjoying visiting other parts of the UK - road-trips & no-fee cancellable accommodation. But we're hankering after another Caribbean cruise & another North American road-trip.

 

Yep, fingers crossed

 

JB 🙂 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I hate to say this but I can't see a way that the OP can do the cruise starting in the UK with the current rules.

 

How can someone coming from the USA self-isolate for 3 days and then go on a cruise? That is just not permitted as far as I can see.

 

If the rules don't change for foreign nationals, as far as I can see, the only chance the OP has to take that cruise is to arrive in the UK pre-cruise with sufficient time to do the 10 days quarantine. Going to the cruise ship prior to being released from quarantine would be a breach of the law as it stands. You might be able to leave quarantine early through the Test and Release scheme but that would still take 5 days (the earliest you can take a test) followed by however long it took to get the result (typically 24-48hrs if you choose a good provider for the test).

 

I hope that the rules change for you though... I have the opposite problem in that I have a trip to the USA booked (not a cruise) for later in the year. I am holding my breath that the rules on Brits entering the USA are relaxed or I will have to cancel the trip - for the 2nd time 😞 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

 

 

52 minutes ago, John Bull said:

 

With a very few minor exceptions, we Brits & most Europeans haven't been allowed to enter the USA since March last year. It seems the only route into the US is via a tunnel from Mexico 😉

 

For any international travel everyone needs to check the terms for leaving their country, for entering their destination country/ies, for returning to their country, and the terms imposed by the carrier/s.

It helps to be religious, cos then you can pray that the terms don't change when you're out of your country. Clearly a lot of Brits aren't religious cos earlier this year Portugal was on the Green list (no isolation required when returning to the UK), then changed to the Amber list (self-isolation on return) with about 3 days notice. Those who had work or other commitments cancelled their plans & those who were already in Portugal scrambled to get (expensive) flights back by the target date. Most retirees presumably didn't have the same problem.

In the meantime we've been enjoying visiting other parts of the UK - road-trips & no-fee cancellable accommodation. But we're hankering after another Caribbean cruise & another North American road-trip.

 

Yep, fingers crossed

 

JB 🙂 

 

38 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

As much as I hate to say this but I can't see a way that the OP can do the cruise starting in the UK with the current rules.

 

How can someone coming from the USA self-isolate for 3 days and then go on a cruise? That is just not permitted as far as I can see.

 

If the rules don't change for foreign nationals, as far as I can see, the only chance the OP has to take that cruise is to arrive in the UK pre-cruise with sufficient time to do the 10 days quarantine. Going to the cruise ship prior to being released from quarantine would be a breach of the law as it stands. You might be able to leave quarantine early through the Test and Release scheme but that would still take 5 days (the earliest you can take a test) followed by however long it took to get the result (typically 24-48hrs if you choose a good provider for the test).

 

I hope that the rules change for you though... I have the opposite problem in that I have a trip to the USA booked (not a cruise) for later in the year. I am holding my breath that the rules on Brits entering the USA are relaxed or I will have to cancel the trip - for the 2nd time 😞 

Frustrating for sure. We have a trip to Paris and London booked with miles USA-Paris(train)-London- USA.

That's early Sept with travel from Paris to London on September 10.

Gee, the cost to rebook miles and pay for seats as a round trip to Paris is crazy, and it gets worse almost daily.  Well, I'll decide this weekend, or maybe wait on Mr. Johnson to give us the bad news next Thursday. What's another $1000 for air fare.😥

 

I miss that British sense of humor.  Fish and Chips, Real Football, theatre(we'll miss two plays), etc.

 

Edited by TomBeckCruise
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel for you Tom. I hope it works out for you.

 

We are planning to visit my son in Lansing, MI. We haven't seen him since the first lockdown. He has just graduated with a Masters from MSU and started his new job. He has a long-standing US girlfriend and is almost more American than she is now!!! We miss seeing him. We have visited every year for few years prior to lock down and so it is hard not to be there for him at these key moments in his life.

 

We will go if they will let us in even if we have to quarantine I expect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I feel for you Tom. I hope it works out for you.

 

We are planning to visit my son in Lansing, MI. We haven't seen him since the first lockdown. He has just graduated with a Masters from MSU and started his new job. He has a long-standing US girlfriend and is almost more American than she is now!!! We miss seeing him. We have visited every year for few years prior to lock down and so it is hard not to be there for him at these key moments in his life.

 

We will go if they will let us in even if we have to quarantine I expect.

 MI has been a very hard hit state, although they look very good right now. My wife's family is from MI, and several have had Covid.  Lansing is very close to many of them, Owosso.

At this point the problem seems to be at least partly political on both sides of the pond.

Hope you get to visit your son soon.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...