Viking Star is coming to the UK

Staffordshirecruiser

We used Apcoa parking in June and have just booked them again for August (£60 Viking Deal)  I think the service provided was the same as CPS (who we have previously used for Southampton) but on this occasion CPS were unable to provide the valet parking element.  We drove into the car park at Portsmouth Docks and an Apcoa rep directed us to a parking space, having checked our number plate details on his list.  The luggage was taken by them and transfered to the ship.  We then walked to the terminal which took a few minutes.   We kept our keys with us and on the return we were able to get a trolley in the cruise terminal which we could take all the way to the car park.  Why not give Apcoa a call (phone number can be found on their web site) and check what arrangements are in place for those with mobility issues.

I am booked on the 7th August sailing after Cunard cancelled our 6th August sailing. I had parking with CPS at Southampton and could just transfer my booking to Portsmouth. Slightly dearer than Apcoa but easier than cancelling and rebooking. 

Car parking: Mobility Issues

We were on the sailing at the end of June. My husband has torn foot ligaments so we were taken with our hand luggage from the car park (Apcoa) to the terminal on a buggy. On return I got the car and drove round to the terminal while he waited outside with the bags. We didn't arrange this in advance but everyone was very helpful.  But it might be worth giving them a call to check. 

Thank you everyone for your help.  Tabatha1 you have given the solution when we hoped for.  I will phone t,omorrow as many of you have suggested.   My husband is quite fit apart from arm which needs another month to heal.  The ideal would be leaving me, rollator and luggage at the dock and him taking the car on the way out and collecting the car on the way back but I what’s unsure if he would be allowed back.  Anyway I will confirm.

Good morning hope you all have a lovely day! 

Thanks to all the advice here I've booked my car parking with the Apcoa deal, just wondering is anyone else having difficulties accessing their 'my viking journey' and if you can access it, have you got any shore excursions showing available, be it included ones or optional ones? 

...... 4 weeks today 😁 so excited!! 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 4:42 AM, mancunian said:

Can I ask advice from those of you have done this parking before at Portsmouth.

How far is the walk to the car park.   I am partially disabled and use a rollator and my husband has recently had a complex operation on his arm. This means I am not sure about him pulling suitcases.

We are at present torn between the two firms.  The advantage of CPS would be that they drive the car to the park.  Of course my husband could drop me and luggage and then take the car.  However coming back is more problematic.  CPS reserve disabled spaces the other firm says they have them but you cannot reserve.   The bigger problem is of course the luggage.  Do you think if my husband went to collect the car he could get back to pick up me and the luggage

Finally if we use the other firm and you are taking and collecting your own car does this mean you keep your keys which we would prefer as we are coming on from a week in Cornwall so will be leaving stuff in the car.

Many thanks

There is no valet parking offered. Your best bet is to go and offload your bags outside the terminal where Viking staff are collecting them, then drive to the car park, and walk back with your carry on bags. It’s about 500m walk, and flat.   

30 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Has anyone else here noticed that the Viking star is, according to Marine traffic, heading to Iceland instead of the UK?

Wonder what’s up with that?

Tom

Yep - seems to be due in Seydisfjordur on 21st. Can't imagine they would be trying to squeeze in an Icelandic cruise before the first of the UK sailings on 7th August. Might just be a glitch or an error. The Venus was logged as going to Portsmouth, Virginia USA in stead of UK back at the beginning of June

31 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Yep - seems to be due in Seydisfjordur on 21st. Can't imagine they would be trying to squeeze in an Icelandic cruise before the first of the UK sailings on 7th August. Might just be a glitch or an error. The Venus was logged as going to Portsmouth, Virginia USA in stead of UK back at the beginning of June

Not sure but the US bookings for Sky and Jupiter prove very successful and they are already or nearly sold out on the Iceland sailings - and maybe they need to reduce the pax count, so they're adding a third ship to the Iceland sailings to help with the demand.

Viking Orion's Bermuda Escape sailings proved very successful so they added 6 extra sailings. These aren't shown in the UK Viking. 

In other news several cruise lines are now disallowing passengers on their ships who, although have been double-jabbed, had mixture of AstraZeneca & Pfizer/Moderno shots.

3 minutes ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Blusea, do you mean the Viking site, I’ve just been on and it would have allowed me to book Scenic Shores on 7 Aug?

Now I see that. It isn't showing in Welcome Back to the World section.

BUT .... the active covid cases are spiking in the UK.

1 minute ago, bluesea777 said:

Now I see that. It isn't showing in Welcome Back to the World section.

BUT .... the active covid cases are spiking in the UK.

If what you are suggesting is true then Viking are going to be disappointing quite a few UK cruisers if they cancel the 3 sailings planned on Viking Star during August in favour of sending a 3rd ship to pick up demand for the Icelandic cruise schedule. Not impossible I grant you but I have booked on the 14th August sailing on Viking Star out of Portsmouth UK and my luggage labels were delivered yesterday. Will keep a watching brief

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Canberra forever ! said:

Thank you Staffordshire cruiser and Marmaduke must be a glitch I'll try again next week. 

Hope you have a lovely weekend! 

I could get into My Journey yesterday after being locked out for a few days

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downsmead said:

I could get into My Journey yesterday after being locked out for a few days

Thank you downsmead, I've just tried and I can get in now too. 

Out of interest are you able to access the details of the optional excursions? or reserve a space on the included ones? Or am I being too keen and they're not available yet!?