Viking Star is coming to the UK

Staffordshirecruiser

18 minutes ago, mancunian said:

I guess this will apply to the 14th too.   Very disappointed as it was the highlight of the trip for us and is the only place we have not visited before.  I guess now we never will.

It depends on why it was cancelled - apparently operational reasons! I believe a Saga ship is in the same day as us and possibly the tenders cannot cope with that many passengers. We only had 5 hours or so there.  If no other ship is there on your sailing, it may be OK for you 🤞. This is just my guess though. 

Very disappointing for all concerned, a visit to the Isle of Man was the main reason we booked.  I would have thought that Viking would have checked the feasibility for visiting the ports concerned before releasing the itineraries, which were only available for sale less than 6 weeks ago. 

Is there going to be a Viking Star 12 night cruise from Portsmouth to Portsmouth departing 28/08/2021 back in Portsmouth 09/09/2021?    

I only ask because, If you look on the Portsmouth International Port website, and the APCOA Car Park booking service they are currently showing a Viking Star Cruise Car Parking Deal from 28/08/2021 to 09/09/2021 for £99.00!   (This doesn’t appear on the CPS Car Park booking service).  Let’s wait and see. Fingers crossed.

I wonder if the two cancellations is to do with covid.  Both are small islands and wonder if they just do not want us particularly if they have no cases.  I would not have thought Douglas was because of tendering as they have good dock space.  They used to get several ferries in at once.   It is all speculation of course.

1 hour ago, Maxweller said:
Is there going to be a Viking Star 12 night cruise from Portsmouth to Portsmouth departing 28/08/2021 back in Portsmouth 09/09/2021?    

I only ask because, If you look on the Portsmouth International Port website, and the APCOA Car Park booking service they are currently showing a Viking Star Cruise Car Parking Deal from 28/08/2021 to 09/09/2021 for £99.00!   (This doesn’t appear on the CPS Car Park booking service).  Let’s wait and see. Fingers crossed.

That raises a bit of a conundrum. Having checked the cruise schedule for Portsmouth, the Viking Star looks to be departing on 28th August after the last UK Shores cruise but intriguingly it returns again on 3rd September before departing again on the 4th but no evidence of any arrival on the 9th September

https://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/cruises/cruise_schedule

So possibly Viking are sneaking another UK cruise into the programme but have not yet announced it. Also maybe they haven't decided on what length it is going to be (7 night or 12 night) hence  the disconnect between the port schedule and the parking

Edited by arlowood

I have just phoned Viking to ask about cruises beyond the 28th August but they don't appear to have  knowledge of any.  I was hoping that if the itinerary was better I am still within the 2wk time frame to transfer my booking.

2 hours ago, downsmead said:

It depends on why it was cancelled - apparently operational reasons! I believe a Saga ship is in the same day as us and possibly the tenders cannot cope with that many passengers. We only had 5 hours or so there.  If no other ship is there on your sailing, it may be OK for you 🤞. This is just my guess though. 

Yes I'd heard mention of a possible clash with a Saga cruise. However I've just checked the Saga website and their Scilly Isles cruise doesn't leave Tilbury until 10th August which is the date that the Viking Star was due to be in Tresco.

16 minutes ago, arlowood said:

That raises a bit of a conundrum. Having checked the cruise schedule for Portsmouth, the Viking Star looks to be departing on 28th August after the last UK Shores cruise but intriguingly it returns again on 3rd September before departing again on the 4th but no evidence of any arrival on the 9th September

https://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/cruises/cruise_schedule

So possibly Viking are sneaking another UK cruise into the programme but have not yet announced it. Also maybe they haven't decided on what length it is going to be (7 night or 12 night) hence  the disconnect between the port schedule and the parking

Just looked at the Port schedule,  it doesn't  mention Viking Star's cruise on 21 August.  Very odd.

7 hours ago, mancunian said:

I guess this will apply to the 14th too.   Very disappointed as it was the highlight of the trip for us and is the only place we have not visited before.  I guess now we never will.

8 hours ago, Taunton Trotter said:

Now I will not be happy if they pull Tresco from the 14/8 sailing as that’s the one excursion I was really looking forward to.   Do you know if they emailed everyone or just announced it on their website?

We are on the 14/8 sailing too and asked our TA to check.

TA told us that currently our cruise is set to visit Scilly - weather permitting - so fingers crossed….

• Like 2

Me again with another swimming pool question 🏊‍♀️

Does anyone know what time the (main) pool “opens”? Can’t seem to find this info or am not looking in the right place…

“opens” ie for example on X they took off the pool cover around 7 (I think, could have been 7.30) in the morning & set out towels etc, ie that was the earliest one could have a morning swim.

(I only swim on holidays 😆)

10 hours ago, Alsun said:

Me again with another swimming pool question 🏊‍♀️

Does anyone know what time the (main) pool “opens”? Can’t seem to find this info or am not looking in the right place…

“opens” ie for example on X they took off the pool cover around 7 (I think, could have been 7.30) in the morning & set out towels etc, ie that was the earliest one could have a morning swim.

(I only swim on holidays 😆)

Not sure if it is consistent on all ships, but on Viking Sun, the Main Pool was available around 06:00.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Not sure if it is consistent on all ships, but on Viking Sun, the Main Pool was available around 06:00.

Thank you, though 6 am might be a bit too early for me…. 😆

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, Alsun said:

We are on the 14/8 sailing too and asked our TA to check.

TA told us that currently our cruise is set to visit Scilly - weather permitting - so fingers crossed….

Received Viking email today with final e-docs for the 14th, including itinerary confirming Tresco call plus my booked excursion. I then opened today's newspaper and was confronted with a half-page Viking advert selling the Star cruises in August. On the 7th and 14th dates Tresco has been replaced by "scenic sailing".

Inconsistent or what?!

12 minutes ago, ospreycruiser said:

Received Viking email today with final e-docs for the 14th, including itinerary confirming Tresco call plus my booked excursion. I then opened today's newspaper and was confronted with a half-page Viking advert selling the Star cruises in August. On the 7th and 14th dates Tresco has been replaced by "scenic sailing".

Inconsistent or what?!

That's very disappointing especially as Saga have been landing passengers there! Wish we could cancel and sail with Saga.

Can I add even more confusion.  Have just gone into Viking site as if to book a cruise.   The 7 Aug is indeed shown in the itinerary as being sailing the Atlantic instead of Tresco, the 14 Aug is still shown as Tresco.  How about that?  Do we believe the advert in the paper or their own site.  I suppose I am being pessimistic but I really do not believe we are going, and no Glendale much as I want to go to Tresco I want to go on Saga even less!

The MVJ for the 7th shows scenic sailing instead of Tresco now. 
The last time I looked there seemed to still be a lot of cabins available. I had an email re the new Malta sailings stating from ~£1600 but when I looked the cabins were all £2000+. Probably just the one per sailing which sold early!

24 minutes ago, mancunian said:

Can I add even more confusion.  Have just gone into Viking site as if to book a cruise.   The 7 Aug is indeed shown in the itinerary as being sailing the Atlantic instead of Tresco, the 14 Aug is still shown as Tresco.  How about that?  Do we believe the advert in the paper or their own site.  I suppose I am being pessimistic but I really do not believe we are going, and no Glendale much as I want to go to Tresco I want to go on Saga even less!

Maybe you should give them a try 🙂 You might be surprised.

11 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Maybe you should give them a try 🙂 You might be surprised.

We have given them a try three times.  We have also been on P&O and Fred Olsen.  We have however found we are happiest on a ship with Uk American, Canadian and Australian guests.   It adds to the cruise to meet and chat with people from other countries.  Yes before you tell me this cruise will be all Uk passengers because we transferred from Iceland.  But I prefer Viking to Saga anyway,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mancunian said:

We have given them a try three times.  We have also been on P&O and Fred Olsen.  We have however found we are happiest on a ship with Uk American, Canadian and Australian guests.   It adds to the cruise to meet and chat with people from other countries.  Yes before you tell me this cruise will be all Uk passengers because we transferred from Iceland.  But I prefer Viking to Saga anyway,

Fair enough, I’m not on any commission 😁

13 hours ago, downsmead said:

The MVJ for the 7th shows scenic sailing instead of Tresco now. 
The last time I looked there seemed to still be a lot of cabins available. I had an email re the new Malta sailings stating from ~£1600 but when I looked the cabins were all £2000+. Probably just the one per sailing which sold early!

Booked for Malta yesterday at the prices in the email. The website does not reflect these reduced prices but they are still available to book, however be prepared to wait on the phone for an hour before a Viking agent answers

Guess we won’t know for certain until we are actually tendering in Scilly!

It will be a disappointment if we don’t stop there (as it is the only excursion that we signed up for) but we are still planning to enjoy the cruise and to find out what Viking has to offer.

4 hours ago, JessM66 said:

Booked for Malta yesterday at the prices in the email. The website does not reflect these reduced prices but they are still available to book, however be prepared to wait on the phone for an hour before a Viking agent answers

Thank you for that information, much appreciated 😊

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Alsun said:

Guess we won’t know for certain until we are actually tendering in Scilly!

It will be a disappointment if we don’t stop there (as it is the only excursion that we signed up for) but we are still planning to enjoy the cruise and to find out what Viking has to offer.

No I think that may be true.  On the other hand it is my guess that it is the most important stop for most guests as is most difficult to access.  I do wonder if it was announced last week when it was just too late for the 7 August people to transfer, and in which case we will be told  during this week.   I admit to being disappointed but in many ways not too bothered.  My husband has had a complex op on the top of his arm having been strapped up for two yearsand is only just able to drive again and I have had two cataract ops in last three months, one last week so this year has not been great.  

If we don’t get off the ship that is fine, just resting will be good and looking at the sea.  We used to live in Cheshire so we were near Liverpool and know it well though we now live in Derby.  We are in Falmouth for a holiday before we get on the ship which was booked many moons ago, and we have caravaned in Dorset in the past.  We will probably do the trip in Portland.

Do say hello any of you, if you pass us on the ship.  We can’t really be missed.  I walk with a rollator.

Angela (and Peter)

• Like 1