What Happens With Positive Test at the Pier?

mrlevin

Keith reported two tested positive in Nassau prior to boarding.  Are they given a follow up PCR test?  Are they refunded their cruise fare (in cruise credits)?  Do they have to find their own transportation immediately off the island?  Are they put in quarantine in Nassau?  

This is my only cruise fear; a positive test (whether accurate or false) prior to embarkation.

thanks,

Marc

• Like 5

We've been back to our pre-vaccine routine of masking up in indoor public settings and limiting indoor exposure since last week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Keith reported two tested positive in Nassau prior to boarding.  Are they given a follow up PCR test?  Are they refunded their cruise fare (in cruise credits)?  Do they have to find their own transportation immediately off the island?  Are they put in quarantine in Nassau?  

This is my only cruise fear; a positive test (whether accurate or false) prior to embarkation.

thanks,

Marc

Great questions.  You need a negative to get back into the USA.  

False positive is a real thing.  We are trying to be safe but it's hard sometimes with work 

I would also like to know what happens if you test positive. If you have a follow-up PCR and it's negative, but the ship has sailed, I guess you can at least fly home. If your PCR test is positive, my understanding is that you would have to quarantine in the Bahamas until you test negative. I guess you could check into any hotel with availability, but I'm not sure. Will they let you stay there if you're positive for Covid? As far as a future cruise credit from Crystal, that would be nice but they aren't offering that formally. They say that if you are not able to board the ship because of a positive test you have to rely on your travel insurance (if you have it).

Posted (edited)

I believe that is why you have to buy the Bahamas Travel Insurance.  It says it will cover $500 per day up to $7000 if you test positive for Covid after you arrive in the Bahamas and up to $50,000 for medical.

Edited by cruisingxpert
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

I believe that is why you have to buy the Bahamas Travel Insurance.  It says it will cover $500 per day up to $7000 if you test positive for Covid after you arrive in the Bahamas and up to $50,000 for medical.

You are correct.

Keith

Posted (edited)

There have been a number of vaccinated people who have tested positive (accurately). We had the College World Series where I live and several who were vaccinated who were part of the North Carolina State team tested positive. They had several who were not vaccinated who tested positive also. 

The vaccine did the job and those who were vaccinated did not have symptoms (or serious illness) but they still tested positive.

This is my worry also!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Teresa, I thought you were in Lincoln; isn't UNO the University of No Opportunity?

False positives aren't necessarily independent so wouldn't be surprised by two related parties both ending up with a false positive.  It could have been something like they both ate asparagus (just an example) the previous day.

I am thinking of going out and trying to catch COVID now that my wife and I are vaccinated.  Once vaccinated and then surviving the disease far less likely we will catch it again and show up positive at embarkation.  Sort of like parents that have their kids exposed to chicken pox or measles when one kid gets it so all can go through it at the same time.

Just my two confederate sense,

Marc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Teresa, I thought you were in Lincoln; isn't UNO the University of No Opportunity?

False positives aren't necessarily independent so wouldn't be surprised by two related parties both ending up with a false positive.  It could have been something like they both ate asparagus (just an example) the previous day.

I am thinking of going out and trying to catch COVID now that my wife and I are vaccinated.  Once vaccinated and then surviving the disease far less likely we will catch it again and show up positive at embarkation.  Sort of like parents that have their kids exposed to chicken pox or measles when one kid gets it so all can go through it at the same time.

Just my two confederate sense,

Marc

I am in Lincoln. Omaha is just an hour away and I am up there frequently. I used to go to CWS when it was at the other/older stadium (Rosenblatt) near our amazing zoo. Back in the day, when younger - I liked to sit outside in 100 degree temps. I am older and wiser now.

So if you go out and get COVID, are you going to actively test yourself. Those who I know who have been vaccinated and have gotten COVID, didn't know they had it - except for the random test. The theory sounds good exception for the mutations....

OMG - I was one of those kids sent to a chicken pox party at age 4..... The cruel things our parents did to us!

I was planning a trip to Europe in April. I think I am going to back off and plan it for next fall. So frustrating to not travel but it is what it is. Maybe just visit friends around in the US.

Hope you and wife are doing well!

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

If you test positive you can't board.

You also have to test negative to return to the USA.

Keith

An American citizen cannot be denied entry into the United States.  A foreign flagged airline may deny boarding.  Just head to the nearest American embassy or consulate and tell them you want to go home.  You'll be home the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Mike808 said:

An American citizen cannot be denied entry into the United States.  A foreign flagged airline may deny boarding.  Just head to the nearest American embassy or consulate and tell them you want to go home.  You'll be home the next day.

I just looked it up on the CDC's web site.  They cannot deny an American citizen entry into the United States but they can deny boarding a public aircraft.  You have to charter private transport to get home.  

Edited by Mike808

First as to returning to the USA I don't want to be lectured.  This is what the USA has asked and if it's not correct I don't care.

Second, I have heard you test positive at the Convention Center you get a PCR test.

Third that is all I know.

Fourth, well yesterday was July 4.

Keith 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Seems like if you got a PCR test at the Convention Center, the ship would be long gone by the time your results came back.

20 hours ago, Mike808 said:

I just looked it up on the CDC's web site.  They cannot deny an American citizen entry into the United States but they can deny boarding a public aircraft.  You have to charter private transport to get home.  

The rule applies to all passengers flying private or public.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, smlnd said:

Seems like if you got a PCR test at the Convention Center, the ship would be long gone by the time your results came back.

A few hours at home.

We didn't leave until very late.

Keith

This is a copy and paste from the CDC web site:

People who test positive for COVID-19  and have not met CDC criteria to end isolation are exempt from the requirements under the Order if they travel via private or medical transport to the United States.

1 hour ago, Mike808 said:

This is a copy and paste from the CDC web site:

People who test positive for COVID-19  and have not met CDC criteria to end isolation are exempt from the requirements under the Order if they travel via private or medical transport to the United States.

I think two different points are being made here.

First, it's correct that the same order applies to ALL forms of flying, regardless of whether it's charter, public, or private:

Does this order apply to all flights or just commercial flights?

This order applies to all flights, including private flights and general aviation aircraft (charter flights). Passengers traveling by air into the US are required to have proof of testing regardless of flight type.

The second, is that there are instructions with what to do for COVID-positive passengers, which is very limited and specific:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/interim-guidance-transporting.html

So, YES, the only way to fly Covid-positive passengers back into the US is by private or medical transport, but you can't just fly any private or medical transport flights back to the US with COVID-positive passengers.  There are a LOT of hoops you have to jump through to follow that process.  It is NOT a case of "they can't deny you entry'. If you don't follow the lengthy requirements, they most certainly can.

Vince

• Like 1