Home Airport

Tedferg

Princess website seems to think my Home Airport is in LA instead of Sacramento. Is there a place to change this ? I do not see anything in Profile section.

My travel agent had to set my location to one of the major airports in Maryland.  This was done so it would trigger the state discount if there was one.   🤷‍♀️  The only time that was a problem (not really a problem but something to be aware of) is when I go to book EZAir.  I have to make sure to select the airport I intend to fly from instead of letting it auto-populate.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, franktown said:

Had the same problem a few years back.  Called Princess and they fixed it in less than a minute.  No problems since.

I was hoping to avoid a long wait on the phone 🙂

Edited by Tedferg

Like everything else, you used to be able to do this on your personalizer.  Not any more (just checked).  Princess is closed on Sunday and probably Monday.  

I did call them on Saturday and the wait wasn't too bad.  Customer Service is lacking big time, in my opinion.  I am relying more and more on my wonderful Travel Agent.

I have the same problem with many travel sites; we use Omaha, often when booking air or cruises it shows Sioux City as our home airport; technically it is closer, but is a small airport we have never flown out of.  Sometimes even more weird 'home' airports.  

The funniest is when it shows O'Neill NE as our home airport, while O'Neill is a very nice town about 60 miles from us, it is a town of 3000 people!  Practically a metropolis in the Sand Hills of Nebraska, but not too many flights from there!

It shows my home airport at Oakland

but there isn't a direct bart to Oakland so I go 3 miles farther to SFO. My PVP, customer service, and customer service supervisor have all changed it --- temporarily.  Next time I log in its Oakland. I'm not transferring 3 times to get to a flight so I just correct it every single time

It was more of a curiosity for me, like you Ombud, I change airport to what I want. It was strange to see EZ Air tell me I did not need air  transport to San Pedro.

My account shows Washington DC as my home airport. When I look for flights I simply type in PHL instead. Sometimes I also need to change the return airport, too. It is very easy. I have already changed my next cruise flights at least five times.

FYI...make sure you get your home airport changed...otherwise if you need to use your Princess insurance ICE you will ONLY get booked back to your home airport. If you try to change, it will cost you big time...we speak from experience.  Had to leave the ship due to medical emergency in Buenos Aires...that was a $2400 mistake we won’t make again because our home airport was wrong!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PS...if you change it, you get to pay...have your travel agent or a PVP change it for each cruise.  Waiting on the phone for 15 minutes is well worth your time!

13 minutes ago, r2d2inltd2 said:

My account shows Washington DC as my home airport. When I look for flights I simply type in PHL instead. Sometimes I also need to change the return airport, too. It is very easy. I have already changed my next cruise flights at least five times.

Where does it show Home Airport ?

3 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

FYI...make sure you get your home airport changed...otherwise if you need to use your Princess insurance ICE you will ONLY get booked back to your home airport. If you try to change, it will cost you big time...we speak from experience.  Had to leave the ship due to medical emergency in Buenos Aires...that was a $2400 mistake we won’t make again because our home airport was wrong!

Wow that is good advice Thanks !

Go to EZAir flights and check to see if the pre-filled flight info has your designated city correct, if it is not where you want to fly out of and back into, call Princess....they are the ones that have to change it.  If you just change the cities yourself, that isn’t considered to be your home airport.  Makes no sense, but we learned the “hard” $$$$ way!

17 hours ago, trvlwrld said:

This is exactly why I made my TA make the change because I don't want to end up being repatriated to NYC when I live in NC.

The closest airport for us is Harrisburg (MDT). However, very few airlines fly from there so most of our travel is from Philadelphia. I usually do a booking on the Princess site and then change it to the big box store which gives me additional perks. They do not show as much availability online as Princess. If you contact them they can send you the form (email) that you complete and fax to Princess to change agents. It happens very quickly. When you book on Princess there is a place to say where you want to return to if need be.

OK I must have been mistaken, EZ Air show Sacramento as starting point. Must have been a glitch previously because it did say 'No Need For Transportation' or words to that effect on a cruise out of LA and other times I saw round trip offers for LAX.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

OK I must have been mistaken, EZ Air show Sacramento as starting point. Must have been a glitch previously because it did say 'No Need For Transportation' or words to that effect on a cruise out of LA and other times I saw round trip offers for LAX.

Well you are on the same freeway (I5) aren't you?? 😅🤣😂

Posted (edited)

It is important to have the correct home airport listed because in the case of Princess flying you home, at their expense, that is the airport that they will purchase tickets to. For example several years ago when the Grand Princess suffered damage to one of the embarkation doors, on the way to the mainland and returned to Hawaii for temporary repairs, that is the information they used to purchase tickets to repatriate passengers.

Edited by brisalta