Jump to content

Disturbing New Things on Two Carnival Ships Now Cruising


Recommended Posts

Just now, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I heard this and so I decided to stay with ATT and buy the monthly international pass that gets you 6GB.    For now, the price differences between ATT and others are worth it for me to change.  But if you are starting out - I have heard wonderful stuff about Google Fi and other options. 

It has worked well for us.  For a while we had two phones until we were sure Google Fi would work well internationally (which it does).  Also initially it did not work well on Apple devices but that issue has since been eliminated.  About the start of the pandemic we disconnected our other phone service and now are 100% GF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When I went to College I had to key punch computer programs onto hundreds of 80 column punch cards and then wait (sometime hours) at the campus Computer Center for my program to be run on the available main frames.  There was no such thing as PCs, cell phones, and basic calculators that could do something like a Log would cost over $100!  I could not afford that high end HP 

 

 

I recall my first physics lecture in 1972 when the professor pulled out an HP-35 and calculated a cosine ON THE SPOT - our jaws dropped!   But the HP 35 cost about $400 back then - so we stuck with slide rules until the Texas Instruments SR 51 came out for about $150.   I still chuckle when I recall a professor pulling out his slide rule to check the results he saw on his calculator.  

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

It has worked well for us.  For a while we had two phones until we were sure Google Fi would work well internationally (which it does).  Also initially it did not work well on Apple devices but that issue has since been eliminated.  About the start of the pandemic we disconnected our other phone service and now are 100% GF.

Thanks - its been a while since I looked at other options.....Time for another look and see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, iancal said:

We in Canada suffer from having among the highest mobile plan fees and retail bank service fees in the world.

 

So wish we had a plan like T-mobile's Magenta Plus but we do not.  In our travels to other countries we notice adverts for their plans and cringe when we compare it to our substandard plans/costs.   The only way we can get it is to sign up with a US convenience address and autopay.

 

  It is the price that we pay for being incredibly apathetic and accepting of any old nonsense that large corporations in regulated industries shove down our naive throats.

Public Mobile Canada, data, unlimited text and free Canada wide calling.  $20.00 plus tax.  have been using this for over two years.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Some of the info shared in threads like these make me hesitant to retire. In the last year the pandemic accelerated the adoption of a lot of electronic communications in my company and we have all been required to master Skype, Zoom, MS Teams and other platforms/apps that were sort of "fringe" until everyone began working remote. Would I continue to stay up to date on my own, without the business need?  Likely not as much...

 

On the other hand, I know people tend to learn and use those applications that really add value. For example, I find it extremely useful to deposit my checks via my smartphone. And definitely see the value for travel, whether it is having my boarding pass on my phone or being able to keep in touch with local tour agencies, hotels, etc.

I retired 6 years ago. I worked in IT in a support capacity, network and desktop support. When I have a computer issue now I have to research it first; it's no longer second nature.
I swore I was done with Microsoft when I retired, and now use Mac and Linux exclusively as my daily computing platforms. I still have friends who come to me with their Windows problems and I say to them I haven't touched a Windows PC in 6 years, so you're better off taking it to someone who has kept up.
I do just fine in a non-Microsoft world. Zoom and Go To Meeting work fine on a Mac.
My smartphone is an old Samsung, works fine. I use multi-factor authentication for the few financial transactions I make on it. I do have to admit that depositing checks via smartphone is a really nice feature and I use it on the few occasions someone writes me a check.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Public Mobile Canada, data, unlimited text and free Canada wide calling.  $20.00 plus tax.  have been using this for over two years.  

 

Thanks for that.  Hadn’t heard of it.

 

Is there service outside of Canada?  Ie Europe and the United States?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Be aware that TMobile has been known to randomly cut off international access for customers that they deem to use excessive international data.  We were one of those customers who received a text stating that we were in violation of our customer agreement due to what they deemed excessive international usage.  We were traveling a lot at the time but only using it for emails and occasional Google maps and such.   Why they do this to some and not others is unknown by me.  We called when we returned to the states and were told that the next time we used international data our account would be locked.  They offered no alternative so we now use Google Fi.

Yes, we are aware (it is actually in their policies) and have had a few warnings.  But considering that prior to COVID we were out of the country about 6 months a year we have no reason to be upset.  To be honest we just use our phones when we want and have not ever been cut off.   On the other hand we will usually connect via WiFi when its available so I guess T-Mobile is happy.  Keep in mind that with our Senior plan (we are grandfathered into an older rate) we only pay $60 a month (that is the exact total) which includes unlimited data, phone (with a small per minute charge outside the US), and everything else...and that is our total cost for 2 phones.  I think they have similar plans today at a slightly higher per month price.  Another reason we like T-Mobile is that our plan is fine anywhere in North America which suits us since we live in Mexico for part of the year.  Our T-Mobile plan works on the two largest cell networks in Mexico.   Prior to T-Mobile we had ATT but that plan was not a good fit for our travel habit.

 

Hank

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, we are aware (it is actually in their policies) and have had a few warnings.  But considering that prior to COVID we were out of the country about 6 months a year we have no reason to be upset.  To be honest we just use our phones when we want and have not ever been cut off.   On the other hand we will usually connect via WiFi when its available so I guess T-Mobile is happy.  Keep in mind that with our Senior plan (we are grandfathered into an older rate) we only pay $60 a month (that is the exact total) which includes unlimited data, phone (with a small per minute charge outside the US), and everything else...and that is our total cost for 2 phones.  I think they have similar plans today at a slightly higher per month price.  Another reason we like T-Mobile is that our plan is fine anywhere in North America which suits us since we live in Mexico for part of the year.  Our T-Mobile plan works on the two largest cell networks in Mexico.   Prior to T-Mobile we had ATT but that plan was not a good fit for our travel habit.

 

Hank

 

Hank

Yes it is in their policy but the application is very helter skelter.  I know others who were cut off and I know some that use large amounts of international data who have never been called out.  Quite strange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lido deck main said:

Public Mobile Canada, data, unlimited text and free Canada wide calling.  $20.00 plus tax.  have been using this for over two years.  

This approximates what we pay now. 

 

I want the Magenta Plus A seniors plan $45USD for data coverage WORLDWIDE!  And phone coverage that includes USA and Mexico.

 

 Canada plans and the 'specials' typically have a low data limit and are geographically limited.

 

Until then we will buy sim cards when we need them.  

 

 

Edited by iancal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Yes it is in their policy but the application is very helter skelter.  I know others who were cut off and I know some that use large amounts of international data who have never been called out.  Quite strange.

Probably more of a matter of where it was used, which telecommunications company you were connected to and if the use cost T mobile money based upon their agreements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, kazu said:

While I’m pretty good on my IPad, I’m horrible on my smart phone and so is DH.  We use them as phones and DH to get news.

 

I am paranoid to have Data on the ships so keep my phone off until I am in port.

 

I guess I just haven’t been lured to loving the phone.  I do love my Ipad so hopefully that works if need be.  The last thing DH and I want is to carry a phone on the ship.  In fact, he leaves his at home.  One is more than sufficient IMO.

I thought that HAL had a ship wifi site that did not require data on our last 2 cruised. You used the ships wifi free and their site that provided several different types of information OTOH, perhaps this is something that I just dreamed? If true your ipad should work just fine.

You can benefit from a smart phone without using data. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I recall my first physics lecture in 1972 when the professor pulled out an HP-35 and calculated a cosine ON THE SPOT - our jaws dropped!   But the HP 35 cost about $400 back then - so we stuck with slide rules until the Texas Instruments SR 51 came out for about $150.   I still chuckle when I recall a professor pulling out his slide rule to check the results he saw on his calculator.  

Ha, I remember all the engineering majors wearing a slide rule on their belt..  In my senior year they had mostly switched over to those tiny computers that cost a fortune.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

I thought that HAL had a ship wifi site that did not require data on our last 2 cruised. You used the ships wifi free and their site that provided several different types of information OTOH, perhaps this is something that I just dreamed? If true your ipad should work just fine.

You can benefit from a smart phone without using data. 

 

Yes, you can access Navigator, New York Times, HAL site and something else I can’t recall without needing to pay for wifi.

 

I’ve used my Ipad for that for years and also buy internet for my emails, live threads, etc.  I’m fine on my Ipad 😉.   

 

I’m aware you can use a smart phone without using data but because of my lack of knowledge on it and I am far more comfortable on my Ipad which I know how to use 😉 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kazu said:

 

Yes, you can access Navigator, New York Times, HAL site and something else I can’t recall without needing to pay for wifi.

 

I’ve used my Ipad for that for years and also buy internet for my emails, live threads, etc.  I’m fine on my Ipad 😉.   

 

I’m aware you can use a smart phone without using data but because of my lack of knowledge on it and I am far more comfortable on my Ipad which I know how to use 😉 

 

 

I'm there too, but the world is going to electronics only.  I absolutely hate a phone for the internet, and use mine almost exclusively for calls and text.  But we are going to two concerts, and they supposedly offer electronic tickets only. So everyone downloads them on their phone.  Once downloaded I put the tickets on my home screen to make sure I won't be going nuts trying to find them.

It never fails that a phone rings during the concert.😲

As phones get larger they might be as big as a tablet soon.🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I recall my first physics lecture in 1972 when the professor pulled out an HP-35 and calculated a cosine ON THE SPOT - our jaws dropped!   But the HP 35 cost about $400 back then - so we stuck with slide rules until the Texas Instruments SR 51 came out for about $150.   I still chuckle when I recall a professor pulling out his slide rule to check the results he saw on his calculator.  

I still have my TI SR 51.  Bought it back around 1973 to help in my work - sure helped!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And I do think even without any payment the regular cell phones will allow emergency 911 calls.

I was thinking of 'emergency' as my car breaking down when I was away from home. That has happened to me twice (in all the years I have been driving), but having a phone that worked came in handy. 
That's a call to AAA, not 911. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, iancal said:

We in Canada suffer from having among the highest mobile plan fees and retail bank service fees in the world.

 

So wish we had a plan like T-mobile's Magenta Plus but we do not.  In our travels to other countries we notice adverts for their plans and cringe when we compare it to our substandard plans/costs.   The only way we can get it is to sign up with a US convenience address and autopay.

 

  It is the price that we pay for being incredibly apathetic and accepting of any old nonsense that large corporations in regulated industries shove down our naive throats.

You can take advantage of TMobile’s excellent service, low prices and great international coverage by using one of the MVNOs that buy wholesale from them and resell.  I have used both Ting Mobile and MintMobile and am very pleased with the low rates and exactly the same service.  There are some minor differences in international costs but it is still extremely affordable.  My overage bill from my last 45 day cruise was $40 for text, talk and data.  Depending on what plan you choose monthly fees are $10 to $25 . Neither of the aforementioned providers require a contract.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Hope you had a great Independence Holiday?

 

Thanks for asking.  It was OK.  Nothing special, really.  Nice firework displays observed.  The Fireflies made their usual return at this time of the year and that was really the most pleasant thing that I experienced.  

 

Much good information on this thread for me to consider.  I appreciate all who have responded.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Some of the info shared in threads like these make me hesitant to retire. In the last year the pandemic accelerated the adoption of a lot of electronic communications in my company and we have all been required to master Skype, Zoom, MS Teams and other platforms/apps that were sort of "fringe" until everyone began working remote. Would I continue to stay up to date on my own, without the business need?  Likely not as much...

 

On the other hand, I know people tend to learn and use those applications that really add value. For example, I find it extremely useful to deposit my checks via my smartphone. And definitely see the value for travel, whether it is having my boarding pass on my phone or being able to keep in touch with local tour agencies, hotels, etc.

Same for me and the work platforms/apps.  I can tell you it caused me a lot of anxiety, but what choice did I have if I wanted to stay employed?   Now I’m glad I know how to use these things.  I use online banking almost exclusively.  I love not having to go to a bank.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I still have my TI SR 51.  Bought it back around 1973 to help in my work - sure helped!

That’s an antique!  😳

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:
6 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

All posters are welcome here, not just those that agree with a particular point of view.  

But why would you bother if you feel it’s been beaten to death?

LOL.  You are joking right?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

All posters are welcome here, not just those that agree with a particular point of view.  

 

I think what the OP was trying to say is that it is not up to us as posters to decide what is "beating something to death".  If the mods think something doesn't belong, they will remove it. Leave it to them rather than complaining about posts. This is actually spelled out in the community guidelines somewhere, so it's not coming out of nowhere...

 

I have found it to be sound advice over the years.  If a thread is going in a direction that bugs me, I simply quit reading it. Or if I feel it violates the CC guidelines I report it and let the moderators decide. No fuss needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Thanks - its been a while since I looked at other options.....Time for another look and see.

Back before COVID I would use prepaid eSIM packages when travelling (like switching your SIM card but you don’t actually have to physically change anything, you just download a package to your phone from a web site or app and tell the phone to change over to using the travel eSIM).  Many (most?) newish smart phones now have the capacity to use a second eSIM along side the regular SIM card.  You can buy the eSIM packages from companies like Airalo (https://www.airalo.com). Much cheaper than the roaming packages available from Canadian Telcos (not sure about US). Easy to install and manage. Works very well in my experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's go time.
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...