Shopping

One of the things (with the exception of a t-shirt here and there) is to actually shop while on a cruise. I've told my husband that this next cruise will be different, I would like proof (at the very least) that I've been someplace. Will Regent help me ship it home or do I need to plan with the vendor?  Sorry but it's been a long time since vacation and I am plotting and planning for next April!

Posted (edited)

That is a good question.

When shopping aboard the ship, Celebrity Equinox, my experience with them was when I purchased an aluminum etched painting and Lucite sculpture . They arranged shipping and insurance for both. The Lucite piece took the longest to arrive (two months) as it had to custom done by the artist. The painting took about a month, again it had to be custom done by the artist.

The smaller items I bought, ear rings and bracelet, I packed. Since Celebrity is a premium line, I would expect Regent, being a full luxury line, would have the same (or higher) level of service.

When I shopped in Key West, I encountered a many vendors who had no problem shipping your items home. I bought a neat wall hanging and mugs that I ended up packing. While in Cozumel, I was able to just pack my souvenirs (a blanket, shirts, cannabis paraphernalia).

Hope this helps.

Paul

20190913_154106_Monarch-of-the-Frost.jpg

20190913_154609_Day-of-the-Dolphin.jpg

Edited by SireDoime
correction and additional stuff
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully Regent no longer has “Art” auctions on board.

For bulky items purchased whilst ashore I would think it would be most convenient to arrange shipping with reputable vendors.

The Executive Concierge on board should be able to offer advice.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Thankfully Regent no longer has “Art” auctions on board.

I noticed when I sailed on another Celebrity ship, the Infinity, they had all of the same pieces, by the same artists. I figured the artists likely produced a limited quantity to be sold by Park West aboard Celebrity's ships. Can't say I wasn't disappointed to learn that it wasn't truly "original" as the kept saying.

Being a native of Los Angeles, I love art and auctions; so being my first cruise, I went it and got those two pieces as pricey souvenirs. Curious what Regent's art auctions were like, though.

We have shipped home many items from overseas, including a very large horse statue from mainland China. We have had very good luck with vendors shipping our items. Be prepared to wait and be aware that shipping costs and duties may substantially add to the overall cost.

If you buy it off the ship from a good store.shop why carry it back to the ship.  Most places we’ve made a purchase they ship without any problems.  Depend on what you purchase take the insurance just in case.  Once in France we purchased a set of Baccarat glasses, and a few vases—everything arrived without anything broken.  

On 7/5/2021 at 10:01 AM, TomBeckCruise said:

Magnets: We have so many we can't recall where we got a few of them.😁

And how many Christmas ornaments do you need?  Have you ever been to a port without a Christmas Shop or Christmas section?

• Like 1

We have shipped home a number of paintings and cases of wine.  All have arrived intact.  The only time we carried anything home that was large were two four foot tall giraffes from Africa.  The shipping from the store was ridiculously expensive so we did it ourselves.  Our tour guide found a vendor at the airport who wrapped each of them in bubble wrap and paper.  Then we hand carried them to the person who loaded them on the plane.  They came home without a scratch, much to the delight of my grandchildren.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 10:01 AM, TomBeckCruise said:

Magnets: We have so many we can't recall where we got a few of them.😁

Our refrigerator is full of them. We make sure the name of the place is on them.

We have a very nice etagere  at the top of out entry stairs.

For years we had beautiful glass figurines on the shelves that everyone ignored.

On our last few Caribbean cruises, I have collected very nice, large shells & corals & put them on display instead.  People always admire and ask about them.

I chose to seek these out from the private local island vendors instead of shops.

We pack a soft collapsed duffel bag in our main luggage.

That way when I buy somewhat fragile items like those, All the clothes go home in the duffel bag and my shells & corals go in the hard side luggage for safety.

• Like 1