Does the majority of CC users sail in suites ?

Smmessineo

I am a long time reader here and since I came back to Cruise Critic and cruising after a pandemic break, it seems like half the posts are about suites, or written by those who sail in suites. I'm guessing this is an example of Bader-Meinhof phenomenon ( seeing something everywhere). But is there some truth to it? Does the average CC member lean towards suite occupancy?

This is just me pondering ....I am not anti-suite !  Due to the way we spend our time on a cruise, a suite would have little value for us.  But I definitely see its allure to other people .

• Like 1

We don't, but do like to see and read about them.  We have sailed in one suite many years ago and found that we were not in our cabin, for the most part, to sleep, clean-up or change clothes.

We do get balconies.  Can't remember the last time we had an ocean view (5-6 times due in part to the ship we were on) and have done one interior just to try it.

• Like 3

We have sailed in a suite once out of our 15 cruises. Enjoyed the experience, but found that AQ best fits our likes/budget.

• Like 1

Unfortunately hooked! Tried it once as a treat for a special birthday, and liked it so much....you guessed it! Now we can't book anything else, but it is what you are used to and what you like I guess.

We know it is not for everyone's taste...but (to my cost!), it is to ours.

• Like 2

We have done a suite once in all of our cruises.

It turned out to be of little value to us and I personally regretted spending the money.

I don’t need a butler, a special deck to layout in the sun or a dedicated bar or lounge.

We enjoy eating at the specialty restaurants and therefore a dedicated dining room is not a perk to us.

AQ- is very nice if the price difference is not more than a spa pass for the week would cost for the two of us. Blu is nice for a quiet breakfast.

A regular balcony stateroom is where we normally book. They are roomy enough for the two of us. Provides the needed fresh air that my mind thinks I need😉 and the savings allow us to take longer cruises or more than the one a year that we try and take.

• Like 6

The majority of Cruise Critic posters could not possibly sail in suites.  There are not enough suites.

I've sailed in everything from an inside to the PH.  Granted, the insides were only on short cruises tacked onto other, already booked cruises.  I enjoy sailing in suites if the price is reasonable.  But it's perfectly possible to go back and forth.  It's all good.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'd agree with the OP it often seems like the majority of posters on a thread on Celebrity CC sail in suites. As suggested they are among the most prolific contributors so whilst that skew things the perception exists.

I haven't felt the same on NCL or Princess boards 

27 minutes ago, pixiedust777 said:

We have done a suite once in all of our cruises.

It turned out to be of little value to us and I personally regretted spending the money.

I don’t need a butler, a special deck to layout in the sun or a dedicated bar or lounge.

We enjoy eating at the specialty restaurants and therefore a dedicated dining room is not a perk to us.

AQ- is very nice if the price difference is not more than a spa pass for the week would cost for the two of us. Blu is nice for a quiet breakfast.

A regular balcony stateroom is where we normally book. They are roomy enough for the two of us. Provides the needed fresh air that my mind thinks I need😉 and the savings allow us to take longer cruises or more than the one a year that we try and take.

That's US exactly !!!  And, we don't even live in Toronto ( home of the Sleepy Leafs ) ---LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I prefer AQ, but for our upcoming August Equinox cruise we upgraded to a Sky Suite with the 125% FCC we got from our canceled AQ cabin on the Infinity. This will be our first cruise in a true suite with any cruise line. I do not count mini suites with NCL and RCCL or Signature Suites on HAL which we have sailed  in the past, as true suites. 

Edited by terrydtx

Thanks for these responses !  As I suspected,  I was just seeing things 😀

I love reading about people's varying experiences and perspectives on Celebrity.

We sail exclusively on Celebrity now , usually 2 a year , if I get a crazy idea, I'll try to talk the boss into a third. They are just pure relaxation cruises. Drive to port,  drink at every bar, eat too much good food , put in some time in the gym, and chill and smoke cigars at the Sunset bar ( probably 4-5 hours a day).  

I am tempted to try AQ one of these days . i have enjoyed the spa pass the few times I've purchased it.  Until then, anything from an  inside to a "special" balcony works for us !

Our first 8 years of cruising were all balconies with 1 Oceanview.

In 2014 the Upgrade Fairy gifted us a suite., since then we booked suites about 50% of the time. Price and length of the cruise are tge de icing factors.

In over 20 cruises, never sailed in a suite but would like to try it. Have to have at least a veranda..

We booked on Royal Caribbean Odyssey in a JR Suite for next April as cost was low.  But,  does not come with perks so to me it is just a larger cabin. 

We are not only CC members, but cruise addicts. We started cruising in North America from 2003 and have 46 cruises… only because first many years we were limited by school vacations of our son. Last 4 years before pandemic we cruised 5 times a year (6 in 2019). 

We started from ocean view and quickly realized that it doesn’t make sense for us at all, so we are booking mostly insides and occasional balcony (maybe 10 times). It has to do with price, but only partially. At some point we noticed that we are not spending any time on balcony. Seriously. It’s convenient to dry swimwear, but it’s not enough to book them. We are on the ship to enjoy ship. Music, views, restaurants, lectures, gym, pools etc. Now when we work mostly from home (large comfortable house) we want to be among other people at least on vacation. 

Due to this reason I don’t see us booking suites. Why pay for something we won’t use much? 

We may try suites on lines like MSC where new ships are grossly overcrowded and suite zone is nice, but I’d rather book inside on more comfortable ships.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

We have booked balconies on RC & P&O and a window cabin on Marella Cruises although it was a very old ex HAL ship which only had about a dozen balconies for a massive upgrade in cost. 

All our Celebrity cruises have been Aqua so far but I have decided to book Verandah unless there is a small price differential. We have three verandah trips booked and intend to book speciality restaurants for an occasional change.

We had a fantastic price on a suite in 2020 on Silhouette ex- Southampton which was cancelled. We wanted to try a suite and the points would have allowed us to reach Elite (!).

We are trying Oceania in 2022 in a Concierge. Have an open mind about all cruise lines and holiday partly for the itineraries. Enjoyed all the trips.

We always sailed balcony cabins for many years.  Sailing with our kids we would get then an Inside cabin across the hall.  But now we are retired and colleges long paid.  For cruising now, we spend our money on suites.  We enjoy the experience.  We tend to go on longer itineraries now too and a suite is nice for those longer trips.  So maybe I am one of the prolific posters skewing the data?  And I think there are others like me and dw.  But I think the majority of posters I have encountered here on CC are not in suites- maybe occasionally only.

We were happy with a balcony or Aqua until my dh got sick in San Diego the night before our cruise was to sail. Heard the ships whistle from the ER. Since this was my retirement cruise I decided to book a suite on our next cruise and got hooked.  We've been sailing in suites since 2012.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I prefer AQ, but for our upcoming August Equinox cruise we upgraded to a Sky Suite with the 125% FCC we got from our canceled AQ cabin on the Infinity. This will be our first cruise in a true suite with any cruise line. I do not count mini suites with NCL and RCCL or Signature Suites on HAL which we have sailed  in the past, as true suites. 

I should have added that if we booked one of the Edge Class  cruises we would more likely  book a Concierge cabin because of the 4 smaller and varied menu MDRs. We book AQ mainly because we love the smaller more intimate Blu restaurant for breakfast and dinner.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

I know several people who could easily book the PH but for a variety of reasons choose Inside cabins. Some others cruise once every 5 years and brag about their Suite. Can’t judge by cabin choice.

• Like 3